Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a second charger for my e-tron. Called Audi and the price is steep, like $2K+.... seems excessive. Any recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
Are you looking for a portable charger (i.e., connector) or one to mount on the wall? In either case, Amazon has a bunch of options with positive reviews. All of which are WAY cheaper than what Audi seems to be asking for the OEM option.

I just ordered the JuiceBox 40 that will be connected to a NEMA 14-50 plug that is being installed next month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greatly appreciate your answer. The folks at Audi told me that using the wrong charger could "burn" the battery.... not sure , are there any particular specs to follow or is that just marketing on their part?
Thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
Greatly appreciate your answer. The folks at Audi told me that using the wrong charger could "burn" the battery.... not sure , are there any particular specs to follow or is that just marketing on their part?
Thanks again,
I'm sure it would... just don't use the "wrong" charger. Hah. Sorry, dealers can be good for a laugh sometimes. ;)

Keep in mind the "charger" is on-board within the vehicle. These things that plug into the vehicle are technically "connectors" that feed power to the vehicle. Hence why just about any "charger" with the J1772 connector will work, as that also identifies the specific SAE charging standard used in North America. Think about all of the charging stations on the road, tons of brands, they all work fine. Why? Because they meet the SAE J1772 standard with a common plug, or whatever is used in other regions.

Also, Amazon and Audi partnered up with installers. I think most aren't available due to Covid, but you can see the "recommended" chargers to choose from. Or at least what is most popular.

EDIT: From Page 107 in the manual:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 24 Amp Clipper Creek charger with a 14-30P cable and a Chargepoint Flex with a 14-50P cable and both work fine for our two addresses. Both are hard mounted but can be portable as needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking to get a second charger for my e-tron. Called Audi and the price is steep, like $2K+.... seems excessive. Any recommendation?
If you have electric rates that are time of use rates or if there is any possibility that you might in the future, get a unit that can be set up to charge only during off peak times. From what I have read here the etron does not make it easy to take advantage of off peak rates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I researched all of the available chargers this past week and decided to go with the ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger, 16 to 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE, UL Listed, Energy Star, NEMA 14-50 Plug or Hardwired, Indoor/Outdoor, 23-Foot Cable.

It was $699 on Amazon.com. Then, I had my electrician add a 50amp circuit breaker to my electrical panel (located just outside from my garage) and a NEMA 14-50 plug for $600 in labor. Then Edison has a rebate of $1000.00 towards the installation of the EV charger. This ChargePoint charger has 50Amps maximum and you can set the amperage for charging on your cell phone app. If your car doesn't accept 50 Amps, you are ready for the next level of EV's which will end up using higher amperage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased the Clipper Creek HCS-40-C13-P6-L25-64, which requires a 240VAC 50A receptacle. The unit is hung on the wall with a 25' cable that conforms to the standards for NA.

Worked for my Caddie, and now works for the eTron - both vehicles charge at a different rate and accept the same charging plug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use a 24 amp Clipper Creek for our place at the coast and a Chargepoint Flex at 40 amps for back home in Phoenix. The Clipper Creek because the house wiring is old. Both work great but prefer the Chargepoint as I don't have to fuss with the car timer for time-of-day electric rate issues. The Audi EVSE stays in the fronk for emergency service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts