Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suppose I could

Yeah its going to be mounted outside. Thanks for the help.
Happy to help
I also have my charger mounted outside.
For outside mount, you --really-- want to hardwire, for safety reasons.
In this case plug type is immaterial and you can buy what they have
There is US federal tax credit up to $1000 or 30% of equipment plus installation costs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does it charge any faster than the OEM charger that came with the car? I am getting about 8.8kWh on mine.
The higher the amps on a charger, the quicker it will charge. I still love my Chargepoint flex 50 (the most current model of their level 2 chargers). I have it hardwired to a dedicated 230v 50amp gfci breaker.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My bad
I assumed you wanted to do a hardwire installation, in which case plug type is immaterial
For plug-in install, you'll not be able to go past what Audi charger gives you because of US electrical code limitations.
I think that is correct. For 50A and above, the unit must be hardwired in the US. The stock charger is rated at 40A

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hi, do you charge outside or in a garage? I am charging outside. Will there be a problem if it rains?
People on other threads here have recommended getting one of those protected outlet boxes to shield the NEMA plug from the weather. I think there are some weather limitations for the "brick". I would be concerned about water getting into the end of the brick that has the removable outlet cable. Still, it would be pretty simple to shield the "brick", as well.
I would definitely use the "set screw" to hold the outlet cable in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
People on other threads here have recommended getting one of those protected outlet boxes to shield the NEMA plug from the weather. I think there are some weather limitations for the "brick". I would be concerned about water getting into the end of the brick that has the removable outlet cable. Still, it would be pretty simple to shield the "brick", as well.
I would definitely use the "set screw" to hold the outlet cable in place.
Perfect. I will try that. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just found this forum and this thread after my electrician came by yesterday to look at setting up new charger.

unfortunately our breaker box is far away from our garage so he said he would bury wires from breaker to side fence and then run above ground along side fence and then above ground along back fence and then bury from back fence area to garage.

total cost would be $1600 and he said $900 of that was materials.
A few questions (my first ever ev so just trying to learn all this).

should I try and future proof? Looks like some people mentioned it but with the 8-3 wire he said can go up to 50amps but thicker would be obviously more expensive. Do any other ev cars go above 50amps currently or maybe in future? My wife has mentioned wanting to get a Tesla for her at some point. Then I’d need to decide whether to go with thicker wire and pay the up charge for “future proof.”

also, with the standard 240v outlet that he’ll install for level 2 charging, are some of those 3rd party chargers worth it? The charge point that people mentioned is currently $1500 on Amazon - don’t know how often it comes back in stock for $700, but wondering if that performancebump is significant versus the module that came with car.

Thanks so much for any help!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just found this forum and this thread after my electrician came by yesterday to look at setting up new charger.

unfortunately our breaker box is far away from our garage so he said he would bury wires from breaker to side fence and then run above ground along side fence and then above ground along back fence and then bury from back fence area to garage.

should I try and future proof? Looks like some people mentioned it but with the 8-3 wire he said can go up to 50amps but thicker would be obviously more expensive. Do any other ev cars go above 50amps currently or maybe in future? My wife has mentioned wanting to get a Tesla for her at some point. Then I’d need to decide whether to go with thicker wire and pay the up charge for “future proof.”

also, with the standard 240v outlet that he’ll install for level 2 charging, are some of those 3rd party chargers worth it? The charge point that people mentioned is currently $1500 on Amazon - don’t know how often it comes back in stock for $700, but wondering if that performancebump is significant versus the module that came with car.

If you do the outlet, you’ll be limited to 40 amp, not 50 amp, because of the US electrical code.
This is below what both Tesla and Audi can take (roughly 50 amp)
With hardwired install, you get full 50 amp
ChargePoint Flex is readily available for $700 with the ”wrong” plug, however hardwired install does not require any plugs, so it is ok for you
Also, it is much safer to have hardwired install for outside

As for going beyond 50 amp - i would install thicker gauge wire, just in case, seeing that the work is expensive

you can also get higher amperage charger from clipper creek, however i think this would be too much too soon :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Sportback Siam Beige
19 Posts
-Teslas now come with a maximum 48 amp charger. So, a 60 amp circuit would be required (6AWG minimum)
-Distances cause voltage drop, and will affect your charging. Bigger cables help mitigate voltage drop.
-Future proofing - If you run a 6 AWG cable, you can still use a 50 amp breaker for a 40 amp rated charge circuit and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Later, if you decide to install a Chargepoint/Juicebox/Flo/whatever 48 amp charger, you could just change the breaker out to a 60 amp, and install the "box". The cable will be the biggest cost (and labour).

Reactions: Mdcubsfan

·
Registered
658 Posts
The first question is "how fast do you need for home charging?" As a starting point, I have been using the Audi provide EVSE for home charging since Dec 2019. It is UL rated for 40 A and I have it on a circuit with #6 copper wiring, so the house circuit is good for above 50A (better than 120% of 40A for continuous use). I am NEVER charging from 0 to 100%! Typically, I'm charging from 50 to 80%. There are plenty of hours in the night for that to happen. Charging at 50A, as opposed to 40A, gives you a little faster charge, but nothing to write home about. I guarantee, if you tried both: plug it in, go to bed, and in the morning you won't be able to tell the difference!

·
Registered
15 Posts

$1600 is not a bad deal for a run that long. But using an 8 AWG for a long run is just asking for trouble. NEC requires 6 AWG for a 50 A circuit. You can find post online with people where the 8 AWG wire melted down because it is not up to the task.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Wow! How long a run are you talking about? I had to have #6 wire in metal conduit run from the panel on one wall in my garage, up to and along the ceiling over one car bay, and down a center support post. I was impressed with how much that little run cost!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Thanks to all for all the quick comments! I went outside to measure, and I guess a lot of the cost is the distance. It would require burying 10' from breaker to fence, 55' along (not buried) the side fence, 55' along (not buried) the back fence, and 10' buried from back fence to garage. The electrician I've used for all the electrical tasks around my house on many many occasions quoted $1600.

The questions I have still are what way best to future proof. Several posters recommended going with 6 gauge wire instead of 8 gauge - from my google research this would allow up to 65 amps versus up to 50 with the 8 gauge correct? I'll check on the cost, but if I stayed with 8 gauge, can I still safely get up to 50 amps (for my etron and any other future EV).

And I was looking at research about using the stock audi charger versus the chargepoint flex / juicebox / clipper creek. I think maybe for now will stick with the stock audi charger (just because of the other costs just to install this line). Seems like while the other fancier options do charge faster and provide much more diagnostics, the stock charger should be enough for most of my daily needs. I had asked the electrician about different options if we got a second EV in future and came across the dual charger from clipper creek, which I think could be a solution down the road.

Thanks for any other thoughts! Can't wait to get this done, as last night I had to go to an electrify america supercharger and then today on the way home had to stop at the same one to make it home! Thankfully only have this long commute once a month, but sitting at the walmart is a bit inconvenient compared to letting the etron charge at home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! Thanks to all for all the quick comments! I went outside to measure, and I guess a lot of the cost is the distance. It would require burying 10' from breaker to fence, 55' along (not buried) the side fence, 55' along (not buried) the back fence, and 10' buried from back fence to garage. The electrician I've used for all the electrical tasks around my house on many many occasions quoted $1600.

The questions I have still are what way best to future proof. Several posters recommended going with 6 gauge wire instead of 8 gauge - from my google research this would allow up to 65 amps versus up to 50 with the 8 gauge correct? I'll check on the cost, but if I stayed with 8 gauge, can I still safely get up to 50 amps (for my etron and any other future EV).

And I was looking at research about using the stock audi charger versus the chargepoint flex / juicebox / clipper creek. I think maybe for now will stick with the stock audi charger (just because of the other costs just to install this line). Seems like while the other fancier options do charge faster and provide much more diagnostics, the stock charger should be enough for most of my daily needs. I had asked the electrician about different options if we got a second EV in future and came across the dual charger from clipper creek, which I think could be a solution down the road.

Thanks for any other thoughts! Can't wait to get this done, as last night I had to go to an electrify america supercharger and then today on the way home had to stop at the same one to make it home! Thankfully only have this long commute once a month, but sitting at the walmart is a bit inconvenient compared to letting the etron charge at home.
I suggest go to this site. A lot of information on chargers:

Also Although this video talks about ID.4 it has a lot of useful information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Several posters recommended going with 6 gauge wire instead of 8 gauge - from my google research this would allow up to 65 amps versus up to 50 with the 8 gauge correct
8 gauge will handle 50 amps, barely, assuming the right wire type and ideal conditions.

120+ foot run with half of it buried is far from ideal conditions. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of 8 gage personally.

·
Registered
15 Posts

When looking at the amperage rating for the wires, you have to keep in mind what type of cable it is. Typically, these are NM-B which means that the rating is lower than what you listed. So 8 AWG is limited to 40 A and 6 AWG can go up to 55 A. If you want to future proof it you could go with 4 AWG to go up to 70 A. Considering the length of the cable 4 AWG could get expensive. But keep in mind that length increases resistance. So oversizing the wiring may be a good idea. Personally, I would not go for less than 6 AWG and seriously consider 4 AWG at that length.

·
Registered
6 Posts
reearching more into this, it looks like the stock Audi charger that comes with the car charges (even when plugged into a 14-50 plug the electrician can install) at a much slower rate than the chargepoint flex / juicebox / clipper creek correct? I had previously assumed once I got the electrician to do the wiring and install that outlet, that the stock charger would be able to do 80% overnight, but looks like it isn't able to do that....

if that's the case, then I'll go ahead and spring for the upgraded charger as well.

I'll ask the electrician how much it will cost for 6 gauge wiring, as that seems to be what most people are recommending.

thanks to all!

·
Registered
23 Posts
reearching more into this, it looks like the stock Audi charger that comes with the car charges (even when plugged into a 14-50 plug the electrician can install) at a much slower rate than the chargepoint flex / juicebox / clipper creek correct? I had previously assumed once I got the electrician to do the wiring and install that outlet, that the stock charger would be able to do 80% overnight, but looks like it isn't able to do that....

if that's the case, then I'll go ahead and spring for the upgraded charger as well.

I'll ask the electrician how much it will cost for 6 gauge wiring, as that seems to be what most people are recommending.

thanks to all!
The stock charger, on 100% mode on a 240v, should pull 40 amps charging. I wouldn't expect to see much difference in charge time against another charger pulling the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts

thanks to all!
The E-tron has an 11 kW onboard charger. So you will max out at around 50 A. But even with the 40 A EVSE from Audi, you should be able to charge the battery completely within 10 hours of charging.

·
Registered
658 Posts

thanks to all!
Not really. At 100% the Audi box is rated at 40A. Going with a 50A charger will increase the speed a bit, but nothing to write home about. Consider your home charging needs. You will NEVER charge from 0% to 100% at home. Most often it will be like 50% to 80%. You generally set this up to happen overnight. At either 40A or 50A, when you get up in the morning you won't be able to tell the difference!

Regarding wiring, I'd talk more with your electrician. I think there may be some confusion in this thread. "#6AWG" connector, as I understand it, is a single wire. "8-3" ,I think, is a cable setup with 3 strands of #8AWG (and ground) sharing the load. Both seem to be rated in the 60 to 65A range. You should get the electrician to explain it more. I'm not sure how such a long run could impact the performance of the box, but I would tend to NOT be too conservative when it comes to the conductor. I would price out the "standard" option and the "+1" option.

In the big picture, you can save yourself $1000, or invest it in your wiring, and just go with the Audi box and a NEMA 14-50 plug. I have used the Audi EVSE since Dec 2019 and it works perfectly fine! Otherwise, you have a perfectly good charger that Audi made you pay for languishing in the frunk, decreasing your mileage due to its weight🙂

21 - 40 of 52 Posts