Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New e-tron and new 240v service to garage with DFCI circuit breaker. Line voltage 248v.

When charging at 100% rate and recommend target of 80% battery capacity, the circuit breaker trips if the battery is initially less than 62%. At 64% or greater it charges to the target level without tripping. One time, beginning at 24%, it tripped twice before reaching 80% target.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend installing a standard breaker (non GFI or DFCI). The charger can create electrical noise on the line that can fool these protective (GFI and DFCI) into thinking there is a fault. Especially a DFCI breaker which has Arc fault detection. The charger internal circuit switching on and off can be misinterpreted as an arc fault and cause a breaker trip.
Here is a note from the charge point charger installation manual:
Note: If local codes require a GFCI breaker for plug-in installation, ChargePoint recommends a hardwire installation. We do not recommend using a GFCI breaker as the Home Flex has charging circuit interrupting device (CCID) protection. Using a GFCI breaker in the panel can cause nuisance tripping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend installing a standard breaker (non GFI or DFCI). The charger can create electrical noise on the line that can fool these protective (GFI and DFCI) into thinking there is a fault. Especially a DFCI breaker which has Arc fault detection. The charger internal circuit switching on and off can be misinterpreted as an arc fault and cause a breaker trip.
Here is a note from the charge point charger installation manual:
Note: If local codes require a GFCI breaker for plug-in installation, ChargePoint recommends a hardwire installation. We do not recommend using a GFCI breaker as the Home Flex has charging circuit interrupting device (CCID) protection. Using a GFCI breaker in the panel can cause nuisance tripping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is, code requirements! I may need to look into hard-wired rather than the OEM plug-in charger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts