Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which modes are quattro all-wheel drive? And which mode do you normally use?

·
Registered
105 Posts
All driving modes utilize AWD, and there is no way to select a drive mode that will not use one of the motors. A bigger factor in how much power generated at each axle has to do with how much throttle you're giving it. At low-level (normal driving) acceleration or cruising it is mostly RWD. If there is slip sensed or you ask for more power the front axle will come more into play.
I normally use Auto or Efficiency :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe.

I thought offroad mode is always all-wheel drive. Possible a few other modes. I couldn't find useful info in the manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've found efficiency mode to be the best for me for daily normal driving. Dynamic mode is fun and I like that it doesn't play around with the air suspension while driving like Efficiency or Auto do. @Joe does yours constantly adjust height when in Auto? I felt like every traffic light it was doing something while in Auto.

Curious for those in colder climates, would you use Allroad for daily driving when snow is on the roads or would you use Off-road?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dynamic mode is fun and I like that it doesn't play around with the air suspension while driving like Efficiency or Auto do. @Joe does yours constantly adjust height when in Auto? I felt like every traffic light it was doing something while in Auto.

Curious for those in colder climates, would you use Allroad for daily driving when snow is on the roads or would you use Off-road?
Offroad mode likely always uses both electric motors to propel the vehicle forward at any throttle input, but I can't definitively speak to that. All of the other modes are constantly (many times per second) changing what % of the torque is coming from each motor. It is very dynamic and controlled by the Drivetrain Control Module.

As seen below, ALL of the drive modes will change vehicle height based on speed. Efficiency lowers to vehicle to the lowest height possible above 50 mph, where Dynamic doesn't do this until 87 mph.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In Western Oregon valleys, deep snow is a rare problem, but ice on the highways is a big problem. I presently use Efficiency mode and will probably continue to do that during the winter. My take on Quattro drive is that it dynamically adjusts torque for each wheel to take advantage of the wheels that have the best traction. This also improves cornering. I am guessing that Allroad/Offroad may be like a more traditional all wheel drive, but I may be mistaken. As I have said before, Audi is terrible in descriptions regarding how the various drive modes differ!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Offroad mode likely always uses both electric motors to propel the vehicle forward at any throttle input, but I can't definitively speak to that. All of the other modes are constantly (many times per second) changing what % of the torque is coming from each motor. It is very dynamic and controlled by the Drivetrain Control Module.

As seen below, ALL of the drive modes will change vehicle height based on speed. Efficiency lowers to vehicle to the lowest height possible above 50 mph, where Dynamic doesn't do this until 87 mph.
View attachment 650
This is a great visual and explains why there are five levels but only the middle three are selectable! The Audi dealer couldn't explain this to me so this is perfect!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So from the graph comfort and auto are at a higher level at Lower speeds as compared to efficiency and dynamic. Is thatbcorrect?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts