Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VWAG planned on selling 4x as many Taycan to E-Tron GT.
That's about the run rate now

YTD: E-Tron GT 1411 - Taycan 4449

Audi E-Tron 4738 with a 33.6% increase over Q1, probably due to supply chain/chip relief

Source:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
No surprise. I’ll tell you what does have me moderately concerned is this. It’s not far-fetched to think that the current e-tron lineup could become a software orphan.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No surprise. I’ll tell you what does have me moderately concerned is this. It’s not far-fetched to think that the current e-tron lineup could become a software orphan.
I heard through the auto grapevine that his ousting was related to him having an affair with a female exec, getting her pregnant and promoting her

VW will be forced to more BEV by regulations anyway. A problem I had with Diess is he wanted to be like Musk which cant be good

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
I heard through the auto grapevine that his ousting was related to him having an affair with a female exec, getting her pregnant and promoting her

VW will be forced to more BEV by regulations anyway. A problem I had with Diess is he wanted to be like Musk which cant be good
He ruffled plenty of feathers, but he was definitely a force for BEV. We shall see. Software remains the Achilles heel of these cars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He ruffled plenty of feathers, but he was definitely a force for BEV. We shall see. Software remains the Achilles heel of these cars.
I agree. Even though i don't care about software related whizbang, games, EQS graphics, I do care about saved settings and just simple things functioning

I will say the rearview & souround camera on the E-Tron GT is borderline unusable

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will say the rearview & souround camera on the E-Tron GT is borderline unusable
How so? Mine works just fine, I've had surround view on my E350 since 2013 and the Audi implementation is no better nor worse than the Mercedes one.

Honestly, I am quite disappointed with the way car manufacturers have migrated to the "we'll fix it later with a software upgrade" paradigm from the "build it once, build it right" mentality that they used to have.

As a customer, this is what I expect from a car: every feature work reliably and constantly from day one. Put in a phenomenal Android Auto and Apple Carplay integration that just works and ties to the dash, HUD and MMI display. Full stop.

There is nothing in a car that would require the manufacturer to deploy and implement new features, the hardware is fixed, the car related management and control surfaces are locked in. There should be no need for a software upgrade to add new things to a car. Apple and Google have done a great job with their vehicle integration, let them do the rest of the heavy lifting. I don't need Alexa integration in my car, I don't need Spotify in a MMI sub-menu. I just need a rock solid AA/Carplay integration for all the navigation and media interfacing.

Also note, car manufacturers have stopped being car manufacturers a long time ago. They're huge logistics firms and technology integrators. Rather than define the components, they purchase sub-solutions from vendors that they integrate into a cohesive amalgamation that can roll down the road. And quite frankly they suck at the integration of parts. This is why your dashboard gets erroneous warnings from sub-components that are most of the time a result of a race conditions, bad timing, improper retries or just bad communication on the CAN-BUS. The integration testers simply failed to run the tests that were required of them and the integrators wrote poor code.

Car manufacturers are at the mercy of Bosch, Denso, Continental, Magna and the list goes on... Manufacturers have lost the upper hand in this battle and they are failing at their new job.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How so? Mine works just fine, I've had surround view on my E350 since 2013 and the Audi implementation is no better nor worse than the Mercedes one.

Honestly, I am quite disappointed with the way car manufacturers have migrated to the "we'll fix it later with a software upgrade" paradigm from the "build it once, build it right" mentality that they used to have.

As a customer, this is what I expect from a car: every feature work reliably and constantly from day one. Put in a phenomenal Android Auto and Apple Carplay integration that just works and ties to the dash, HUD and MMI display. Full stop.

There is nothing in a car that would require the manufacturer to deploy and implement new features, the hardware is fixed, the car related management and control surfaces are locked in. There should be no need for a software upgrade to add new things to a car. Apple and Google have done a great job with their vehicle integration, let them do the rest of the heavy lifting. I don't need Alexa integration in my car, I don't need Spotify in a MMI sub-menu. I just need a rock solid AA/Carplay integration for all the navigation and media interfacing.

Also note, car manufacturers have stopped being car manufacturers a long time ago. They're huge logistics firms and technology integrators. Rather than define the components, they purchase sub-solutions from vendors that they integrate into a cohesive amalgamation that can roll down the road. And quite frankly they suck at the integration of parts. This is why your dashboard gets erroneous warnings from sub-components that are most of the time a result of a race conditions, bad timing, improper retries or just bad communication on the CAN-BUS. The integration testers simply failed to run the tests that were required of them and the integrators wrote poor code.

Car manufacturers are at the mercy of Bosch, Denso, Continental, Magna and the list goes on... Manufacturers have lost the upper hand in this battle and they are failing at their new job.
The video quality is so low and distorted. My Jaguar I-Pace had a much better one, sharp and crisp

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
The video quality is so low and distorted. My Jaguar I-Pace had a much better one, sharp and crisp
Hmmm. Not my experience. My GT has very good, useful rear, front and surround video. And my wife's Jag and our Lincoln are definitely not better. Not sure they're worse either, but when in the GT, I don't miss some other car's cameras.

Reactions: Fil and e-dude
1 - 8 of 8 Posts