Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! New to Audi and e-tron. I have owned two Teslas: a Model X and a Model 3. I loved the innovation and range of both, but the overall quality and noise levels frustrated me. Considering I generally don't drive more than 50-75 miles a day, and most days are probably closer to the 25-35 mile range, the 204 mile range on the e-tron isn't overly concerning. Much like the Tesla, I'd plan on charging up to 80% and down to 30%, so with a 50% effective battery, 102 miles would be plenty for me.

I am looking at a CPO car that has never been owned before, but was a dealer car. It has 7000 miles on it and it's a 2019 Prestige. I have noticed there are lots and lots of low mileage used e-trons out there, and after reading the thread with the returns because of the Lemon Law, I'm wondering if that's because they were maintenance hogs. Can those of you, both positive and negative, give me your honest overall opinion with ownership? Have you had some issues, no issues, lots of issues? I'm debating between keeping my Model X or going to the Model S or going to the e-tron.

Also my car sometimes sits at the airport for a week while I work. How much range decrease do you typically lose per day?

How is the app on iPhone? Can you easily remotely start the climate system?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.

TIA!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
I was in the same boat as you with the Model 3. The noise is significantly less in the e-tron, on the highway. Around town some people notice a boomy sound from the suspension (thread). I find that to be very annoying. Brake squeal is also an issue. Mine is squealing loudly and they have not fixed it, though there is a service bulletin for new brake pads.

Teslas feel more exiting, and are far more fun to drive. So far my e-tron experience has been mixed.

In terms of range and charge speed, it's better than you might expect. The Tesla network is better though.

There is virtually no phantom drain. This is very nice coming from a Tesla!
The app is basic, but remotely starting the climate is easy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Several good questions! Regarding parking at the airport, I have read (not done it!) numerous statements that the car loses NO charge after prolonged idle stays in garages and airport parking--for several weeks. In fact this observation is often compared with Teslas, which I understand lose some charge.

I purchased my car in Nov 2019. I use the MyAudi app on Android. It has improved a lot since Nov, but is still a little flaky. I think the Apple experience is similar, since the problem often seems to be with the Audi Servers. I also use the Audi Connect Prime and Prime Plus for accessing Alexa to stream Spotify and Tidal wirelessly from my phone and to get access via the MMI to the included Amazon Prime Music Unlimited. Getting quick, sustained wifi connections via the car hotspot was a REAL problem for several months, but the latest 91X software update has improved that enormously. Overall, though, I would not put myself in a position that required me to REALLY have to rely on the MyAudi app.

My father always cautioned: "Never buy a car in its first model year!" I don't think the E tron is that bad, but it definietly has growing pains. It takes time to get the bugs shaken out in the wild. In my first two months of possession, I had the Taillight Assembly and the Steering Wheel module replaced. Beyond that, except for the occasional software burp (eg, for some reason, so far twice the garage door opener would not work.) the car has been relatively trouble free. I found the task of figuring out how to use all the safety features, piled on top of having to learn about EV use, daunting--and it has taken time. The Audi documentation is not very good (the manual is 80% legal disclaimers). Learning all the EV routines and all the Safety features is a bit frustrating, but rewarding in the end.

The cabin is amazing: I have never had such a quiet, comfortable driving environment. The Heads Up display is a great addition, the MMI screens, including cockpit display, are very responsive and accurate and flexible (such as setting up ShortCuts). Blind Spot detection works great. As far as driving, I was never a fan of "one pedal" driving, and really enjoy the way the car handles. I find, opposite of "one pedal", that I COAST a LOT, which is the most efficient way to get from point A to B, using the paddles to adjust to different driving conditons. Like you, 95% of my daily driving is 50 mi or less. But, I see longer trips in the future, and so I probably obsess more than I should about what the GOM is telling me about how many miles I can go. I am still learning how weather and driving settings affect mileage. It is good to know that the E Tron has the best charging curve on the market, being able to maintain nearly maximum charging rates over 75% of the battery capacity.

Overall, my own experience is that it takes a lot of effort to learn all about the car. Accept that it has a few quirks. I have felt that the effort has been worth it. Finally, I will point out that this is the first car I ever leased. My thinking is that the EV market is moving so fast, that two or three years down the road, something significantly better--maybe an Audi--will be on the road. Then I'll have to ponder my father's advice all over again.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
Definitely no drain whilst leaving the car turned off for at least a week. I would also caution to get a car with as much warranty remaining and/or guarantees should a part fail. They can be very expensive due to the nature of the components, e.g complex electric motor etc. However, I’ve had numerous faults during my ownership and always understood that Audi would ‘see me right’ in the end. My local dealer is excellent and always tried to understand issues and resolve them, often mentioning they were/had just done this and that for another customer. I am still convinced that the e-Tron is the best choice for me, as long as the warranty and a reliable local dealer remains in place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
JNealCox mentions cabin comfort. I can't agree more, there aren't enough superlatives. Also as a passenger it is a very comfortable place to be and fatigue after long journeys is much reduced.

The charge curve needs more airtime. Even when the battery is cold the charge rate is pretty good and soon gets up to a high kW rate. Yes this car is thirsty and the range isn't the best, but over long distances the journey time is the same as a Model X (according to some good Youtube comparison tests) and its thanks to that charge curve.

The GOM is spot on most of the time. The sat nav has similar features to Tesla's - enter a destination and it will show you arrive SoC and where to charge en route etc.

Cost of running. The lease deals a lot of us are getting in the UK are disgustingly good. 1000 miles in, I'm yet to pay for any fuel thanks to the £150 loaded e-tron card and free of charge Engie 50kW chargers across West Yorkshire.

Reliability. I've had the car in for a new AC charge port. The flap mechanism wasn't working from delivery day. Audi's customer service was fantastic.
I recently charged at Ionity and every warning light and warning message imaginable flashed up on screen. These disappeared after getting moving, hasn't happened since.
No issues otherwise.

The app has become much more reliable and functionality is improving. This seems to have been since the VW ID3 launch in Europe - I wonder if the service's architecture was stepped up in anticipation of increased demand (appears to run on a VW group wide service).

To drive? Its can be as comfortable as you want it to be. It has 4 wheel drive as standard. It handles very well in my opinion, others are a little disappointed with the handling. It accelerates plenty quick enough from a start and the mid-range pull is awesome 30mph to 80mph.

It's utilitarian too. Although I would have preferred to see tow-hitches accomodated on all models and not just as a factory option. Even better if it had an auto-retract tow-hitch like the Merc EV and ID4.

Honest opinion? Absolutely loving it. No regrets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2019 e-tron Prestige and a Tesla Model 3 and have owned the Model X and Model S previously.

The e-tron is a pure luxury SUV/Car, The quality is amazing and the ride is even more amazing. Tesla only has one advantage and that is the range. Not if you don't need the range and are looking for a more luxury vehicle and a vehicle you actually enjoy sitting in and driving then the e-tron is the absolute best Luxury EV on the market.

Tesla has too many small problems, and its customer service SUCKS!

The Audi app will let you start the AC remotely and works very well. The regen braking is not as effective as Teslas but it is ok since the e-tron is much nicer! Should you have any further concerns, reach out to me and ill try to answer them as well as I can.

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Hi everyone! New to Audi and e-tron. I have owned two Teslas: a Model X and a Model 3. I loved the innovation and range of both, but the overall quality and noise levels frustrated me. Considering I generally don't drive more than 50-75 miles a day, and most days are probably closer to the 25-35 mile range, the 204 mile range on the e-tron isn't overly concerning. Much like the Tesla, I'd plan on charging up to 80% and down to 30%, so with a 50% effective battery, 102 miles would be plenty for me.

I am looking at a CPO car that has never been owned before, but was a dealer car. It has 7000 miles on it and it's a 2019 Prestige. I have noticed there are lots and lots of low mileage used e-trons out there, and after reading the thread with the returns because of the Lemon Law, I'm wondering if that's because they were maintenance hogs. Can those of you, both positive and negative, give me your honest overall opinion with ownership? Have you had some issues, no issues, lots of issues? I'm debating between keeping my Model X or going to the Model S or going to the e-tron.

Also my car sometimes sits at the airport for a week while I work. How much range decrease do you typically lose per day?

How is the app on iPhone? Can you easily remotely start the climate system?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.

TIA!
Hi Tia, welcome to the forum. I am sure others will offer great perspective, and here is mine. I average between 15 to 25 miles per day in my commute. Usually right at 12-14 so the range of the etron is plenty for my use case. I notice it seems to hold a charge well...I have parked it at my home for a few days without any loss of range. Others may have more experience in that regard. I keep my charge as you mentioned similarly between 20 to 80%. Since my uses is what I stated, that means I may go two weeks between plugging in...which seems very healthy for the battery. About the low mileage etron out there...I think it is a combination of range anxiety...fear of the new ways of looking at driving...but even more so, the pandemic. Myself and so many people in my business now work from home. I think that is affecting the low mileage vehicles...and then people realizing they may not even need a car these days. I may be optimistic and naive, but I think at the end of the day, these etrons may take an initial hit, but value will be seen overall...because in a few years...the car will still look great, run great, and have great, well built ‘car’ type details.

The app could be better, but it is definitely not bad...I just wish Audi would be more dynamic with it. I do not see them putting a lot of work into improving it...at least not like Tesla and their constant updates. Turning on climate control is easy, and also has quite a bit of control to it.

In the perfect world, Audi would have software and battery development a priority like Tesla....and Tesla would value and build more quality in their cars. It seems either one is has its’ trade-offs...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Tia, welcome to the forum. I am sure others will offer great perspective, and here is mine. I average between 15 to 25 miles per day in my commute. Usually right at 12-14 so the range of the etron is plenty for my use case. I notice it seems to hold a charge well...I have parked it at my home for a few days without any loss of range. Others may have more experience in that regard. I keep my charge as you mentioned similarly between 20 to 80%. Since my uses is what I stated, that means I may go two weeks between plugging in...which seems very healthy for the battery. About the low mileage etron out there...I think it is a combination of range anxiety...fear of the new ways of looking at driving...but even more so, the pandemic. Myself and so many people in my business now work from home. I think that is affecting the low mileage vehicles...and then people realizing they may not even need a car these days. I may be optimistic and naive, but I think at the end of the day, these etrons may take an initial hit, but value will be seen overall...because in a few years...the car will still look great, run great, and have great, well built ‘car’ type details.

The app could be better, but it is definitely not bad...I just wish Audi would be more dynamic with it. I do not see them putting a lot of work into improving it...at least not like Tesla and their constant updates. Turning on climate control is easy, and also has quite a bit of control to it.

In the perfect world, Audi would have software and battery development a priority like Tesla....and Tesla would value and build more quality in their cars. It seems either one is has its’ trade-offs...
Regarding your take on charging habits, you might want to check out other threads here. EV batteries in general benefit the most from Level 2 frequent shallow charging, as opposed to infrequent deep charging. I keep my battery between 50 and 75%. Not only is that best for the battery, it makes sure I have some electrons in the tank in case of an emergency. That said, you can continue charging up from 20% and most likely the battery will perform perfectly well for the length of time you possess the car.

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Regarding your take on charging habits, you might want to check out other threads here. EV batteries in general benefit the most from Level 2 frequent shallow charging, as opposed to infrequent deep charging. I keep my battery between 50 and 75%. Not only is that best for the battery, it makes sure I have some electrons in the tank in case of an emergency. That said, you can continue charging up from 20% and most likely the battery will perform perfectly well for the length of time you possess the car.
Great, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts