Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow e-tronners,

Picked up our e-tron (Premium Plus with Prestige Package and some nice accessories, Galaxy Blue) on 1/8/2020, solid piece of kit, lots of widgets, vault like build quality, all looking good.

On getting home charged it up on our L2 ChargePoint Flex Home (CPFH) charger, expecting a long trip so went to 100%, 260 miles range.

Long trip didn't pan out, drove it a few more times, completed 117 actual miles, range down to 134 miles. Not bad.

1/18/2020 tried to charge back to 80% recommended by Audi. Plugged in the CPFH, a few clicks, red LED on the charging port display, Owners Manual says fault with vehicle. As a hardware test, plugged the CPFH into our much loved (and RELIABLE) 2014 BMW i3 REX, hey, it's charging, not a power or circuit issue seemingly.

So, pulled the Audi charging paraphernalia out of the frunk. Tried both the 240v and 110v charging connections, no fault lights on the Audi charger, same red LED at the charging port display. Drove it back to Audi Hampton (AH) on 1/20/2020 to fix it and install an accessory not available when we drove it home the first time.

Today, 1/21/2020, called AH for an update (they didn't call us at the end of 1/20), they don't know what the issue is. So two days in the shop, no progress and no e-tron in our garage. They gave us an ICE Audi Q5 loaner, ICE, I feel dirty.

Anyone else had this charging fail? Has anyone declared their e-tron a lemon and got their money back?

From what I hear, have been told, Audi Germany are keen to hear of any problems with e-trons so I'm assuming Ingolstadt are involved with resolution.

Regards,

PW
Suffolk, VA

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. No charge, no light on car port or the red one. Red lght on EV wall box.
Went back to dealer, very hot headed. Turned out my lease company had blocked my EV tag. So no transaction, no juice. Very annoying but no fault of the car, simple human error.
You sure this is not happening to you as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, the dealer plugged in their over/under AC/DC charger (the one's found at most commercial charging stations) and the vehicle started charging. Don't know if they read off any data from the vehicle's systems to determine what the issue was but from myAudi app. I could see it went from 133 mile range to 190 mile range (limited to 80% by my settings on the app.) PDQ so the vehicle liked the AC/DC charging. They're keeping the vehicle over this weekend to consult/check further with Audi USA techs.

Frankly, I don't want this to put me off e-trons and Audi EVs. When we get the vehicle back I'll only be using the Audi charger provided with the vehicle plugging it into either our 240v outlet or (in desperate times!) 110v outlet. Our i3 will have exclusive use of our ChargePoint charger. FYI, the i3 is a quality EV, yeah, it looks kinda different but it's practical and immense fun to drive. We'll be looking for a used 2019 example in the coming months.

Once I get the e-tron back from the dealer I'll provide a further update.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so we got our e-tron back (at last) on 1/30/2020 (10 days in the shop). The visit to the dealer included, as well as the charging issue, the installation of Audi's Universal Traffic Recorder (their front/rear dashcam hardware).

The UTR works fine, a bit too chatty for my liking, no User Guide provided so had to source that myself from the internet. Even the Audi USA site doesn't have the UG posted.

The charging issue. So we were told by the Service dept. that 2 (two) software updates were required both of which were newly released by Audi Germany (Audi AG (AAG)) sometime on 1/29 - 1/30/2020. AAG were aware that issues involving LEVEL 2 chargers, and specifically non-Audi L2 chargers had been reported and that the software updates would fix it. Our Service sheet says 1 (one) update was applied but we were told over the phone that 2 (two) AAG updates were required, one for the charging system and one for the charger itself....whatever that means.

Anyway, the dealer delivered the vehicle home to us as part of their 'valet' service and took our Q5 loaner away. I believe the valet was looking for a gratuity but it was apparent the vehicle had not been valeted so too bad, so sad, no gratuity was forthcoming.

So we hooked up our ChargePoint HomeFlex unit to the e-tron and it charged the vehicle no problem and I was able to unhook the charger upon completion via the Audi instructions in the Owners Manual That was not possible when charging the e-tron at home previously, we had to unhook the charger using the pull cords located under the hood.

We've since driven the vehicle twice on its arrival home and it's been fine.

Glad to have it back home, it really is a quality vehicle.

BTW, has anyone else experienced Audi Hampton in Virginia (Tysinger Motor Co.) service? I'd always thought of them as a quality dealer but this is our first time buying a vehicle from them. So far their performance has been severely underwhelming. The lack of status updates and general unresponsiveness to phone calls is particularly galling.

Paul W.
Suffolk, VA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts