Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had an electrician out. The panel can handle the upgrade to a 50amp circuit. Fortunately the outlet is close but will need to be changed to take the additional load. I have had cabinetry installed around it the outlet so it is turning into a bigger project than hoped for. This all started with the software update on the charging cord. I doubt I will be an isolated situation. The electrician wants to see the car specs to be sure he puts in exactly what is needed. I am in a holding pattern while I decided to take the hit and trade it in for a BMW or Mercedes. I will go back to electric in the future.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
D Lieb, Do you have a 2019 or a 2020 Etron 55? I have a 2019 that went in for the update (and they made a point that I needed to bring in my Audi charger for the update) and it went fine. I didn't notice any difference in typical charging patterns at all. I normally just charge to 80%, but after reading this thread I recently did a charge from 53% to 100% using the Audi charger on my 240V circuit and it went fine. Both in car and in the MyAudi app it showed 99% (well, that is not quite 100%) and the GOM estimated 208 miles. I had set a timer for the charging (and cabin preconditioning), so it was maybe 30 minutes after I got the "charging complete" alert before I got out to the car. The cable was just a little warm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi, I installed circuit breaker 50amp with 6 AWG, when I put 100% of the charged cable and the socket gets very hot, 50% does not happen the same, what can it be? thank you
The higher the current, the warmer/hotter the conductors will get. At 50%, your current is reduced and your conductors will not as warm as charging at 100%.

Amps x Volts = watts (For a 1 phase circuit. For a 3 phase circuit, multiply the sum by the sq root of 3). Heat can be measured in watts - think of it as a higher wattage light bulb, that gets hotter as the wattage increases.

The higher the watts, the warmer/hotter the conductors.

It's normal.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Since last December, I have always used 100% on the Audi charger with my 240V plug-in outlet with 40Amp breaker. I must admit I have never felt how hot the receptacle gets. It is pretty high guage wiring, so it getting hot would not be too surprising. Is it too hot? I guess I've always assumed that's why there is a 40 Amp breaker.

I read an article about DC charging technology recently. Liquid cooled cables, etc--not your grandmother's charger!

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
190 Posts
240V / 40 A would be almost 10KVA, the charger can't be more than about a third of that. Ther's no way the breaker should trip. Why would the wiring get hot if it's sized correctly for the socket (aka "receptacle")...?

Ok UK vs USA different terminology for sure but the same physics, doesn't seem right to me if that's a factor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you trying to use the Audi unit as a L1 or an L2 charger? I had problems with using it as an L1 charger. When I would plug it in, it would switch to 50% light on the box and the car would rapidly flash green indicating it was "waiting for a timer". Working with the dealer, we found that the solution was to hold the power button on the box (for a few seconds) and that will switch the box back to 100% and the charging would start. Dealer said at L1 at 50% the sensed voltage was too low and so the car is fooled into thinking a timer is set. This happened several months ago...and a few days later I got my 240V outlet installed...so I may be a little off on some of the details!
Thanks for posting this solution! This solved my charging issue, too!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts