Audi E-Tron Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I have noticed this trend, our e-Tron does not use the full capacity of an L1 or L2 charger (no matter what level of charge is remaining, so it is not throttling due to "almost being charged"). Has anyone else seen this?

Here is what I see:

Charger Rated As delivered to e-Tron
BMW I 1.2KWh 0.8KWh
Audi e-Tron 9.2KWh 8.8KWh
Clipper Creek. 6.6KWh. 5.5KWh
ChargePoint. 6.6KWh. 5.5KWh

L3 Chargers work no problem, I can get the full 150KWh until it approaches capacity.

Anyone else see this on their vehicle?

·
Registered
280 Posts
E-Tron SUV charging issues have shown similarities to the A3 E-Tron from what I read so far. So you might have luck finding an answer their.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I self-installed a 14-50 in my garage, and noticed that the Audi will only pull 8.8 kW from it (4.4 kW when set to 50%, which I almost always have it set to). This would correspond to 40A @ 220V. I haven't thrown a meter on the outlet to see if I'm getting a higher voltage there. That would indicate the Audi charger throttles it down a little bit.

Overall the rates you're seeing aren't throttled TOO low. I'm sure over the life of the car it would preserve the battery life some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All-

I have noticed this trend, our e-Tron does not use the full capacity of an L1 or L2 charger (no matter what level of charge is remaining, so it is not throttling due to "almost being charged"). Has anyone else seen this?

Here is what I see:

Charger Rated As delivered to e-Tron
BMW I 1.2KWh 0.8KWh
Audi e-Tron 9.2KWh 8.8KWh
Clipper Creek. 6.6KWh. 5.5KWh
ChargePoint. 6.6KWh. 5.5KWh

L3 Chargers work no problem, I can get the full 150KWh until it approaches capacity.

Anyone else see this on their vehicle?
I am noticing the same thing. Did you
Chargepoint 6.6KWh -> 5.4KWh
Audi charger 9.2KWh -> 8.8 KWh (13 miles per hour only) Other cars in my office get ~20 miles plus per hour.
EVgo 7.2KWh -> 6.6KWh

Did you reach out to Audi about it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suspect that the difference in the numbers everyone is seeing is related to the charging process not being 100% efficient. The EVSE is rated according to how much power it draws from the grid, while the car is reporting how much energy is being delivered to the battery. The charging system of the car has losses. Any heat generated anywhere in the charging process and any energy expended managing that heat are all losses.
When thinking in term of mikes of range per hour, also keep in mind that most EVs travel farther on a kWh than the e-tron does

1 - 6 of 6 Posts