Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Costa Rica, and the country is putting in 100kw chargers just about everywhere, and they are free to charge! I am spending $400-$500 per month on gas, and because of the Tax credits, the cost of the E-Tron is not much more than buying a new Montero Sport. I am just trying to balance the risk of pushing the e-tron past its limitations.

I work in Real Estate, and I visit some of the hardest-to-reach corners of the country. I have been scouring the internet for owner videos showing real-world off-road experiences with the E-tron, anyone have some good links? If I go forward I will be posting videos on Youtube to document my experiences.

This may be a crazy idea, but I just can't wait for Rivian, Tesla, or Ford to get their 4x4 EV's to market here. I know that my first investment will need to be more aggressive tires. I currently am driving a 2002 Montero on BFGoodrich K2's, what are the most aggressive tires for the 21" E-Tron?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would love to take mine off road for a mild trip however, the range has me concerned. It takes a bit to get those places and then to go off road, that would probably mean a bigger loss of range. I would be curious to see someone taking one on an off road adventure. Keep us posted if you get one.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
197 Posts
Also, I would be cautious to take off road since the entire bottom is the EV battery covered by thin layer of plastic which definitely it NOT puncture resistant. $38k for the part + install.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've only seen "semi-official" videos of driving the E Tron off-road, mainly in desert areas and up and down some hills. A quick YouTube search should give you some of those. As others have said, given the range I didn't consider the off-road capabilities too seriously. There have been a couple of reports hear about damaging battery containment by having it punctured by ice when drivers tested out handling in snow and ice. $$$$$$!!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
664 Posts
All I did to date was taking it on gravel and very uneven roads (essentially, pot holed dirt country roads). It handles well and the lower center of gravity helps. But it is not a serious offroading. Remember this is a luxury car, not a Jeep to kill it climbing rocks, so expect the appropriate level of capabilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. I should clarify that I am not going for long-haul 4x4 excursions. When I say "Off-Road" I am not forging a new path through the jungle. The "roads" I am frequently on would be considered by many as off-road because some are very poorly maintained and the weather can quickly degrade the road surface. I have decided to start a youtube channel, I just posted my first video and I will be following it up with a video on the typical roads that I will be on. A lot of my driving will be sub 40Km/h, and with a lot of up and down driving.

I've only seen "semi-official" videos of driving the E Tron off-road, mainly in desert areas and up and down some hills. A quick YouTube search should give you some of those. As others have said, given the range I didn't consider the off-road capabilities too seriously. There have been a couple of reports hear about damaging battery containment by having it punctured by ice when drivers tested out handling in snow and ice. $$$$$$!!
JNealCox, where did you see reports of the damaged battery? My understanding was there is a 3.5mm plate of aluminum under the pack, but would like to dig into this more.

I have also called Audi USA and told them what I plan to do with the vehicle, and they are going to get back to me with an official response.

If anyone is interested in following my progress, check out my Youtube channel Costa Rica EV Adventures, who knows, it could be a very short ride!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
664 Posts
A lot of my driving will be sub 40Km/h, and with a lot of up and down driving.
Personal experience points to very good handling in such conditions. Put it into offroad mode and enjoy the fun.
many as off-road because some are very poorly maintained and the weather can quickly degrade the road surface
Tested in local dirt roads. No issues with clearance in offroad mode.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I should clarify that I am not going for long-haul 4x4 excursions. When I say "Off-Road" I am not forging a new path through the jungle. The "roads" I am frequently on would be considered by many as off-road because some are very poorly maintained and the weather can quickly degrade the road surface. I have decided to start a youtube channel, I just posted my first video and I will be following it up with a video on the typical roads that I will be on. A lot of my driving will be sub 40Km/h, and with a lot of up and down driving.

JNealCox, where did you see reports of the damaged battery? My understanding was there is a 3.5mm plate of aluminum under the pack, but would like to dig into this more.

I have also called Audi USA and told them what I plan to do with the vehicle, and they are going to get back to me with an official response.

If anyone is interested in following my progress, check out my Youtube channel Costa Rica EV Adventures, who knows, it could be a very short ride!
Here is the link to the thread about ice damage: Scrap metal after 14 months

1 - 10 of 10 Posts