Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw the e-tron S Sport back at my local Audi dealer. The had one sitting out by the service drop off area. It was in the Siam Beige exterior color with black interior. Must have been a Prestige model as it had the heads up display. Didn’t see any window sticker on it. I just noticed the S badge with the red bar and the. Realized what I was looking at. Forgot to take a photo. :(.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Went back to snap a shot but it was gone. Must have been a model to train the sales folks on. I’ll substitute that unicorn with this:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm not a big fan of SUV's, and so might have gone with the Sportback if I found the cargo space was adequate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ah, OK. As you'd expect, you take a hit on range with the 3 motors despite the bigger battery. Since IMO the range is already the weak point of the e-tron, I'd pass on that puppy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s nice to have a sporty etron but losing on the range while paying a hefty fee for the privilege of it, isn’t worth the upgrade. It does look nice though. Audi should be able to squeeze some more range out of the battery on the current crop of etrons and do better with newer vehicles, not worse.

·
Registered
2020 etron 50 Black Edition
57 Posts
In a test (somewhere on youtube) the Sportback S did 0-60 in under 4 seconds. 🚀

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
LOL, sounds like a ticket magnet. I am more than happy with 5.5 and instant torque. It might not be a Tesla killer in terms of acceleration but then apart from showing off and racing, what is the use of that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some folks like to have bragging rights on the vehicle they purchase. Tesla has been showing folks that you can have an EV with performance similar to ICE vehicles while also being somewhat efficient. Imagine if you can have it both ways, a quick car that gets up to 500 mile of range, that would make a lot of folks want to make the jump to EV, especially if the cars can be parked on the street/in a parking lot or garage and be charged without plugging it in. I remember Nissan showed an induction charging (I think it was a mat you drove over) method for one of their concepts. Volvo was testing installing induction charging in the street and all you had to do was drive over it and your vehicle would be charging along the way. Some of these things will require some infrastructure changes to accomplish however, that adoption might be a long ways off.

My Stinger was rated at 4.7 seconds 0-60 some folks got it to 4 or under. My e-tron does about what my old 535 M Sport did, 5.5 seconds. I tested the full power this weekend to see what it would do and it gave a me a little shove in the seat. Most time mine is set for efficiency driving and I don't feel a lack of power. I would prefer some more range though.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Most time mine is set for efficiency driving and I don't feel a lack of power. I would prefer some more range though.
Everybody is on the same boat in here I think, but nobody seems to be likely to trade in the ride comfort for some extra miles. I know I would not. I did a few longer trips already and having EA charger every 70 miles or so on major motorways is way more than sufficient. You can go in between two of them (2 hours or so), take a pit stop break for 30 minutes to fill up electrons, and get on the road again. I actually do enjoy this kind of roadtrip where I get a chance to stretch my legs and relax some more. Sitting in a car for 300 or 400 miles or so at a time is getting old quickly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, I can agree to the need for breaks, especially as I get older. In my younger military days, we would do a weekend jaunt from Kansas to NY, stopping for gas and bathroom breaks and alternate naps as one person drives. Did the drive from VA to AZ back in November and set a 12 hour schedule for driving, even with some “longer” breaks it was a rough trip. Having more charging stations will help in the future. I concur that having that comfortable ride makes up somewhat for the decreased range. Plus, the build quality and less road noise was a factor in choosing the e-tron over the Model Y.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on the car I saw at the dealer. Turns out it was a standard Sportback with the S-Line badge. I got it as a loaner today when I dropped off my car to get checked out. Not sure why it has the S-Line badge, nothing sporty on it. Got photos this time:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looks a lot like mine, including the color (I don’t have the blacked out grill). So I agree, I’m not sure what makes it an S-line...at least from the exterior.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the configurator, all of the Sportback‘s has the S-Line badge, I’m not sure why. Maybe being a Sportback qualifies it for that badge. The fact that it has lower range with similar wheels and tires and nothing else that makes It sporty, baffles me. Oh wait, that lower range must be it! LOL! If they had a set of 21” wheel/tires, sport seats, perforated steering wheel and a lower ride setting, to go along with the drop in economy, that would make the extra cost worth it. At least the S version has the looks, not sure when we will see that here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts