Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 E-Tron
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2019 E-Tron, as with most people I was comparing it to the Telsa. One feature the TESLA has is Over-the-Air software updates. The way I understand it, it allows the TESLA owner to receive software bug fixes and "enhancements" while the car is parked in the garage. Much like modern-day phones.

When I asked the dealer salesperson how this compares to E-Tron, the answer was " Audi doesn't offer Over-the-Air upgrades, but instead, when you come in for service maintenance, they will update the software".

Well, at my first service, I asked about a software update as I was having a number of quirky problems, plus wanted any new enhancements Audi developed. The Service Manager told me they "never upgrade software unless something is broken or a factory recall. There are like 4,000 different software packages to deal with"'.

Is anyone familiar with the US Audi policy on upgrades? Seems to me, TELSA has a big advantage over Audi in this regard. I drove a newer loaner E-Tron the other day and noticed quite a few improvements to the MMI, and was thinking boy that would be nice to have. If Audi won't upgrade as part of their service agreement, can you pay for a software upgrade and pick up some of the enhancements made to the design? Or maybe my dealer just has it wrong.

Does anyone else have experience is this potentially poor service offering?

·
Registered
67 Posts
They obviously can only provide an update if one is available. Audi does not seem to be aggressive on developing updates to phrase it nicely. But the dealers can do updates even if there are no issues. On one if my service visits, they did update the MMI software without my having to ask for it.

Updates are not always a blessing, though. For example, after the update, the 360 camera view does not always come on for me. It sometimes only shows the car and the lines but no camera views. It happens only very rarely and turning the parking assist off and back on always fixes it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One would hope that they would do OTA eventually however, maybe they don’t have this down to a science and some of those updates could end up breaking stuff in the vehicle. For is owners, we would notice it sooner as the tech don’t drive the cars daily nor own one. The techs could act as a tester for the company, if they had a vehicle to use as a daily driver and report back issues found that need to be resolved before we get the updates.

On the other side, there have been issues with OTA as well, so giving owners the choice to choose when they want to update would also be a good thing. When they start selling more vehicles, it’s gonna be a pain to have to do the updates When folks just show up and want to get it done. They may have to get some folks trained to do this and get more units to do them en mass if the need is there.

·
Registered
2019 E-Tron
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx Wayne, I guess the service dept. won't mind the demand if they charged for upgrades.
I guess I am not as hung up on OTA as the ability to get enhancement, the improvement, made to the newer E-trons. Updates at 1-year service appointments are okay with me.
I have heard Audi was able to squeak more mileage out of the battery in the later E-tron models with only a software change. I could use a few more miles. Plus I noticed the MMI has some better features in the newer model. Like a touch menu that pulls up all your favorites with one touch. Thank you for the reply and the ability to vent a little.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
40 Posts
As I work in an Audi Service Department, I can tell you that we do not offer anything like what Tesla, Apple, Or Samsung offer in terms of software updates, as most people nowadays are accustomed to. I don't believe the hardware is designed for it. Your Service Advisor was right as the only updates we do are usually if there's a problem with a specific item, like the MMI as someone eluded to earlier. Sorry.

·
Registered
2019 E-Tron
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx Frios. Appreciate confirming what I was hearing from my service here in Arizona

·
Registered
58 Posts
They can't even get My Audi working properly as seen by numerous complaints from 2019 owners. Can you imagine what would happen if they started to push out OTA updates? Probably end up with a bricked car!

·
Registered
2019 E-Tron
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A sad state of affairs. I like the hardware quality and ride of the Audi, but in retrospect should have bought the Tesla Model X. Being a systems engineer, I can appreciate designing software from the ground up vs. clugging together a bunch of packages together, which cannot be updated. Seems like the Audi sort of blew it from the software design perspective. What a shame.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are just sticking to what they know, it has worked for them as an ICE manufacturer for years, they will need to make changes in the future to support that model. They have moved from CD/DVD for navigation updates, to memory cards to now OTA. Once they sort things out and have good security in place they can make that change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They're going through a variety of rapid changes.

Audi switched from years and years of QNX to Automotive Grade Linux with MIB3 (new in the 2021 cars). They ported the same UI over for that. In two years they're switching to Android Automotive, which is just a completely new thing. Then a few years after that (with Artemis) they plan to go with full in-house developed software once again.

It's not gonna get better for a while, but at least the infotainment will get OTA updates with Android Automotive in a few years.

This is a very old very early glimpse of Audi's Android Automotive:

·
Registered
43 Posts
And swap minor software issues for major hardware defects?
It's not like the e-tron doesn't have hardware issues. The tail light failing on early cars was bad, and a few of us have needed coolant system parts replaced very early on or even whole motor replacements due to coolant leaks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not like the e-tron doesn't have hardware issues. The tail light failing on early cars was bad, and a few of us have needed coolant system parts replaced very early on or even whole motor replacements due to coolant leaks.
The taillight issue was more of an inconvenience. I understand that ultimately it is a security issue but it was an intermittent issue (at least in my case) and Audi took care of it. Obviously, anybody would prefer not to see an issue like this but it was fixed and now works. The coolant and motor issues (which to some extent are related) are certainly very annoying (to say the least) for those affected, especially since it took Audi too long to get replacement parts in many cases. But it was an early model and the number of affected cars was low from what I can tell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2021 e-tron produced in December 2020 can hardly be described as an early model and needed a new coolant valve after 2000 miles / about a month. They still have reliability issues with the drive train.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I appreciate that some owners have issues. When I was on the Tesla forums it was worse than what I read here, including drivetrain issues…lots of them. Yes, I understand there are many more Teslas on the road than E-Trons, but there were many more problematic posts too. There were similar issues on the I-Pace forum. So I’m seeing nothing out of the ordinary here.

The point I want to make is that without knowing the percentage of owners with a given problem, it’s impossible to say how widespread an issue is. This applies to all manufacturers. Reading this or any forum can magnify the issue beyond its true scope.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The e-tron is "a box of chocolates" you just never know what you'll get. Battery performance, MMI issues, brakes that sound like a model T (maybe not even that good), etc. I also had rose colored glasses on when we swapped our leased PHEV in for the etron. I drove from CA to WA, and it was actually quite pleasant but then the same "audi experience" we had had years back with two A6 leases took hold. I am kicking myself for not waiting it out, renting a car for a few months and getting in on the lease deals after the hype cleared.

Overall, the ride is better, but the "never seems to work after the system upgrade" app, and other issues that we haven't had with other luxury marques keep dragging this experience down.

To address the OP's question on OTA. OTA is a pretty delicate thing and the e-tron as it stands is made up of the usual old school modules from many manufacturers (where Tesla has integrated their system, Audi has not). There was a very interesting interview with a former Audi exec who basically said, "If you don't realize you've become a software company and bring all this in house you are going to die"...you can find that interview on google or probably this site somewhere...

That said, compared to some people we've know with Tesla's and a ton of complaints (poor fit and finish, one person had their Model X bought back because it was jinxed), maybe this a bit better and as they roll out dedicated EV platforms it will perhaps improve.

We are 50/50 on sticking with Audi after this (like many traditional manufacturers, the poor service people have little idea what's hitting them or how to really deal with it - The App is a prime example - dealer here said - "you should call Audi directly, you have more pull than I do"...not quite up to speed with what people are coming to expect from service in this day and age and auto mfg is going to need to figure this out because (I hope) other companies ramping up from scratch will hopefully take a more Apple like approach...

Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts