Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2019 e-tron Premium Plus on 20” rims. We also have good condition 235/55/R19 Blizzak winter tires from our old Q5 (replaced by the e-tron). If we got the right size rims, can anyone tell me if the narrower Blizzaks would be ok on the car? Would this confuse the electronics, or cause performance (esp. battery performance/range) issues? Thx, Guy
P.S. I know the Premium Plus spec also comes with 19” rims that take 255/55R19 tires

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would talk to the dealer or to a tire store about this. The narrowness might not be the only issue. Firstly, the E-tron is quite a bit heavier than your Q5. Secondly, tires made for EV's usually have a foam filling to help dampen tire noise, due to the fact that the cars run so silently. You might find you get a really noisy ride, even if they worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Neal. I see your point on weight but less sure about noise issues as a narrower tire should be quieter. This may be offset by the more aggressive tread, so I’ll ask the tire shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually, I was also reading the tires designed for EV's have a different tread pattern to take into account the nearly instant high torque. Truly, to move to an EV you need to throw pretty much everything you knew about cars out the window!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you think it is needed any particular precaution when buying new tires or wheels for the etron? Is there any particular sensor (other than pressure maybe?) that should be treated carefully while putting new wheels/tires?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
The main thing AFAIK: meet or exceed the load rating of the OEM tire. Tirerack should provide a warning in their selector tool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts