Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone checked out the Mach E before going with E-Tron?

how do the two stack up?

i am thinking of dipping my toes into EVs and have the Mach E as well as the E-tron on my radar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn’t check it out but on videos I have seen, the interior wasn’t To my liking. I had a chance to check one out at a charge stop, the car looks decent in person and the interior still didn’t do it for me. I like the ID.4 looks but wished the infotainment screen and controls functioned better. The tech seems basic compared to the MMI in other VW vehicles, made no sense to me that they would give this new vehicle such a downgrade, must be reserving the better system for Audi vehicles due to the chip shortage.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
808 Posts
I did test drive Mach E and I am glad I did not wait for it. Yes, it looks like fat pony, and I could likely live with it. But the interior was just not what I was looking for. It is way too Tesla-ish to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I currently have an E-Tron 50 Technik and while I have only looked inside a Mach E I wasn't impressed with the floating iPad look but I could live with the interior. It was certainly a massive step up from a Tesla interior though.

I am already looking at replacements for the E-Tron as the lease will be up in about a year. I know this sounds early but some of these new EVs have 6-9 months of lead time for delivery and I like to do some proper research into the car I will be driving for the subsequent 3 years. So far I been driven in a colleagues Tesla Model 3, test Driven a VW ID.4, E-Tron 55 Sportback S Line and the Q4 40 Launch Edition.
  • Tesla Model 3 had amazing acceleration but the interior (subjectively) just looks like a plank with an iPad and steering wheel attached. It also had a very annoying squeak or buzz coming from the A pillar area on the passenger side (where I sat). I have heard horror stories about Tesla quality and my colleagues response was to laugh and say, "that's better than most Tesla's". He also didn't seem to mind some panel gap issues, but I would not be happy. Though I am more interested in the Model Y but the reported quality issues are a serious turn off.
  • The ID.4 was nice but the MMI controls were abysmal to use.
  • The E-Tron 55 Sportback was just like being in my existing car with longer range.
  • The Q4 40 was very, very nice, a noticable but still minor drop in quality for the interior compared to the big E-Tron but much nicer than the ID.4 and certianly still a genuine feel of Audi quality. The Audi MMI is simple to use and the car looks sufficiently different to the big E-Tron while having a much more nimble, precise and sporty feel to the handling.
I intend to look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and a closer look at the Mach E.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The IONIQ 5 and the EV6 looks good, I’m partial to the EV6 though. I’ve always prefers the KIA look and interior layout to Hyundai but some recent Hyundai’s interior have caught my eye. However, with the EV6, I think they got the IONIQ 5 beat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have an E-Tron 50 Technik and while I have only looked inside a Mach E I wasn't impressed with the floating iPad look but I could live with the interior. It was certainly a massive step up from a Tesla interior though.

I am already looking at replacements for the E-Tron as the lease will be up in about a year. I know this sounds early but some of these new EVs have 6-9 months of lead time for delivery and I like to do some proper research into the car I will be driving for the subsequent 3 years. So far I been driven in a colleagues Tesla Model 3, test Driven a VW ID.4, E-Tron 55 Sportback S Line and the Q4 40 Launch Edition.
  • Tesla Model 3 had amazing acceleration but the interior (subjectively) just looks like a plank with an iPad and steering wheel attached. It also had a very annoying squeak or buzz coming from the A pillar area on the passenger side (where I sat). I have heard horror stories about Tesla quality and my colleagues response was to laugh and say, "that's better than most Tesla's". He also didn't seem to mind some panel gap issues, but I would not be happy. Though I am more interested in the Model Y but the reported quality issues are a serious turn off.
  • The ID.4 was nice but the MMI controls were abysmal to use.
  • The E-Tron 55 Sportback was just like being in my existing car with longer range.
  • The Q4 40 was very, very nice, a noticable but still minor drop in quality for the interior compared to the big E-Tron but much nicer than the ID.4 and certianly still a genuine feel of Audi quality. The Audi MMI is simple to use and the car looks sufficiently different to the big E-Tron while having a much more nimble, precise and sporty feel to the handling.
I intend to look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and a closer look at the Mach E.
would you still recommend an E-Tron to a first time buyer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
would you still recommend an E-Tron to a first time buyer?
No, but not for the reasons you think(or that I think that you think :)). The current 2019-2021 E-Tron is being replaced next year with a faclifted and improved model. Ths new upgraded model will be on a dedicated EV platform with much longer range and better economy. I would not enter into any lease that meant I was stuck with an older model for a number of years.

When I got my E-Tron 50 Technik on a 2 years lease I did so knowing that it was a stopgap EV from Audi based on an ICE platform. I knew that by the time the lease was up EV Tech would have advanced and that VAG would have their new MEB platform ready. Having said that I was getting the E-Tron 50 at the same price as a Kona EV, or E-Niro would have cost. Not to be a badge snob but I was happier with the added luxury and quality despite having 80 miles less range and I have not had any reason to regret that choice.

So if you are getting a current one on a short lease and don't mind that a more efficient version will be out next year, be assured it is a great car. Just be 100% sure that if you are getting a 50 that you can live with 170 miles in summer and 135 miles of range in winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mach E is a great car overall, and I would take it over the others in the general price class (ID.4, Model Y) in a heartbeat. We had a Mach E on order, but when all was said and done I got the Etron Premium Plus for around $8K more than the Mach E extended range AWD. Of course the E tron is a much nicer vehicle to spend time in but the intended price is also a lot higher.

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
180 Posts
Mach E will be similar to upgraded Tesla :) I am curious about take on Ioniq 5
I’ve got a deposit on the Ioniq 5 Limited (along with the Q4, Fisker Ocean, Lucid, Lyriq, and Hummer). I much prefer the Ioniq look and cabin atmosphere to the Kia. The Kia’s back end is also hideous to me. I like the fact that both are 800V platforms. I don’t care for the exterior or interior of the Mach E.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a ‘19 e-tron Edition One. It is a luxury car. I can’t imagine the Mach-E can compete with it. My lease is up in about 14 months, and I’m leaning towns buying it outright. I will look at the A4, Q4, and A6 e-trons when they are available.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
808 Posts
I’ve got a deposit on the Ioniq 5 Limited
I had it filled up and decided not to ... even though reviews are great, I do not like the interior design. I am too used to VW/Audi way of doing things and just get distracted by the lack of dash elements.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like the e-tron but long term ownership, nah. Audi’s reliability hasn’t been stellar and repair cost is just crazy, considering what is happening now, I can only imagine what it will be like out of warranty. I am curious to see how things are with the Korean EVs. It’s nice that the KIA EV6 GT gets a 3.5 0-60 time, if they can get that in a package like the Stinger with a 300 mile real world (90+ mph highway) range, I would go for one. For now, I have to see and drive it to know which EV I’ll go with next.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I test drove the Mach-E, and my biggest issue was the extremely stiff suspension. I felt every bump and imperfection in the road. According to my mom, who rode in the back seat, it was even worse back there. In my opinion, it would've been miserable as a daily driver. I guess if you live somewhere that has pristine roads, it might be fine...

·
Registered
248 Posts
We now have driving impressions on the KIA EV6. A press event was held in Europe and Tesla Bjorn posted a video of his drive in one.

This car looks like it will be pretty good. Unlike Hyundai that tuned theirs more for the normal every day drive, this mid spec GT Line (not the 3.5 sec GT) version was driving over 100mph on the autobahn in the rain and the cabin was noisy. He even commented that it felt like he was driving a German electric vehicle. Can’t wait until they come stateside to check it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in the market for an EV and test drove the Mach-E and thought I was going to go with that model. To show you how serious I was, I even paid $25 to join a Mustang Club that allowed for special pricing from Ford on Mustangs, which included the Mach-E. But then after test driving I found out it was 6+ months to get one, and I didn't want to wait that long.

So I researched other EV's, and gravitated toward the Audi e-tron. My local dealer didn't have one, but I found one at a dealer 90 miles from me. I went to check it out, and the vehicle was certainly different to drive, so much so that I didn't try to make a deal on it but told the dealer I needed more time to think about it. It was the base Premium model and came at a fantastic price -- $11,600 off between dealer and factory discounts (try getting that today!) plus the $7500 tax saving in the US for a whopping $19K off sticker. Price-wise it cost about $2,000 more than the Mach-E would have cost me (assuming the dealer wasn't going to charge more than sticker, which I wasn't entirely sure of), and I think the e-tron is in a much higher class than the Mach-E.

A few things I remember about the Mach-E. One was that the suspension was rather stiff. The car was responsive and fun to drive, comfort was so-so. I wasn't too certain about the noise at highway speeds. It seemed about average. No where near as quiet as the Audi, though. I wasn't too fond of the huge iPad like tablet in the center of the vehicle. I'm sure it would grow on me, it was just different, but first impressions were negative on that. Also, the roof on the Mach-E is a large panoramic moonroof. Kinda neat, as I love panoramic roofs, but no way to cover it. I think it was overcast when I test drove, but from my experience with panoramic roofs in other vehicles, there are times driving that the sun just beats down and either shines at an angle in your eyes, is hot, or otherwise bothersome. I wasn't too sure of a roof that could never block out the sun completely.

The e-tron was super quiet. Very comfortable ride. More spacious than the Mach-E in the cabin, and especially the rear storage area. The e-tron has a traditional sunroof that can be covered with a screen. Both vehicles had extremely responsive acceleration, and were fun to drive. The e-tron seemed more stable at higher speeds, not that I tested that too extensively. After thinking about it that week after I test drove the e-tron for the first time, I went back the next week and bought the e-tron. Best car I have ever owned. Even though my air conditioning has been out for almost 2 months (long story, about to be fixed), I love driving the e-tron and am very glad I made the purchase.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's a great car for sure, just get tired of all the electrical issues. Sorry to hear about your long repair on the AC. mine went out on a trip to San Diego but at least the dealer I took it to had the part to repair it. The coolant valve had mine down for 29 days, that's the longest mine was out of my possession.

Genesis haas now put out their GV60, it won't be until next year before we get ours but I like how it looks. Here is a short video of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only watched a few minutes of the video, but was that wireless charging pulling in the garage with that pad on the floor? That's interesting. Looks like a lot of cool, innovative stuff in that vehicle! Just hope Genesis gets all that tech right the first time. It's definitely a more compact SUV. That is one thing I really like about the e-tron is the size. I had a Q5 for a couple of years, and the Q5 was a tad too small for me. Most EV's are smaller than the Q5. The e-tron size is just perfect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts