Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
e-tron 55 quattro Launch Edition 2019
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a question, but I've just had my e-tron's windscreen replaced due to a huge crack and thought others might be interested in the experience.

I was nervous about getting it done, as I'd read on here about problems with recalibration of the sensors and cameras after fitting (and the associated expense at Audi dealers) and also with non-OEM windscreen replacements.

I booked with Autoglass to have it replaced at home on my driveway for a 90-minute appointment, but soon after booking they phoned and said that due to needing to recalibrate the sensors and cameras I would have to take it to one of their locations for a 3-hour appointment. Fine, if that's what it takes to get it done properly.

This was the replacement windscreen waiting when I got there. It's non-OEM but seems high quality (as far as is possible to tell with these things). Interestingly, it's plastic, not glass (as was the cracked original). It was incredibly light, the guy lifted it and flipped it over with ease using only one hand. I guess this is to keep the weight down due to being an EV:

Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Machine

I asked about recalibration, and the guy pointed at the board below and said this is what they used. They position it in front of the car, and the car recalibrates itself:

Gas Engineering Machine Wheel Composite material

It didn't cost any extra on my insurance for the recalibration, still just the standard £75 excess for windscreen replacement. I'd read about people being quoted £800/$800 by an Audi dealer for this bit. I did actually ring my Audi dealer first before Autoglass, and they said just to use Autoglass.

Anyway, hope somebody finds this useful and/or reassuring before having theirs done too.

· Registered
1 Posts
Not a question, but I've just had my e-tron's windscreen replaced due to a huge crack and thought others might be interested in the experience.

I was nervous about getting it done, as I'd read on here about problems with recalibration of the sensors and cameras after fitting (and the associated expense at Audi dealers) and also with non-OEM windscreen replacements.

I booked with Autoglass to have it replaced at home on my driveway for a 90-minute appointment, but soon after booking they phoned and said that due to needing to recalibrate the sensors and cameras I would have to take it to one of their locations for a 3-hour appointment. Fine, if that's what it takes to get it done properly.

This was the replacement windscreen waiting when I got there. It's non-OEM but seems high quality (as far as is possible to tell with these things). Interestingly, it's plastic, not glass (as was the cracked original). It was incredibly light, the guy lifted it and flipped it over with ease using only one hand. I guess this is to keep the weight down due to being an EV:

View attachment 8247

I asked about recalibration, and the guy pointed at the board below and said this is what they used. They position it in front of the car, and the car recalibrates itself:

View attachment 8249

It didn't cost any extra on my insurance for the recalibration, still just the standard £75 excess for windscreen replacement. I'd read about people being quoted £800/$800 by an Audi dealer for this bit. I did actually ring my Audi dealer first before Autoglass, and they said just to use Autoglass.

Anyway, hope somebody finds this useful and/or reassuring before having theirs done too.
Super post! Audi's recalibration costs are unjustifiably silly.

· Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
213 Posts
Great info, thanks!

I'll have to go through this also due to a crack. Audi quoted me for the windshield + alignment $2,350, however, Safelite's price is $1,000 for the same. But since my local Audi partially caused my crack (see one of my previous posts) they offered me free installation, though the glass itself is $1,500, which is still more than Safelite's price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts