Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would efficiency (kWh/100 km or miles/kwh) change when running steady speed with cruise control just by going from comfort drive mode to dynamic?
Again no change in speed, or driving conditions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you looking at the instant consumption meter bar? What speed? At low speeds in comfort most of the times the car will start in 2nd gear while in dynamic it will start and stay in 1st gear for as long as it can. That would explain low speed difference between comfort and dynamic. At highway speeds there should be no difference, the rear only gets decoupled in economy mode as far as I know.

·
Registered
e-tron GT Quattro
166 Posts
It changes the aircon settings too I think this is the main difference plus it limits the pace so the available power is less. Also it will stop you going over 85mph by default.

I would imagine the 10-15% difference is calculated on this basis.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It changes the aircon settings too I think this is the main difference plus it limits the pace so the available power is less. Also it will stop you going over 85mph by default.

I would imagine the 10-15% difference is calculated on this basis.
None of those things should matter as long as you're doing constant steady speed on the same incline with the exception of the A/C which I don't think is actually controlled by the driving mode. The same wind resistance and gravitational force is in effect in both modes therefore the energy consumed should be identical. This is why my question revolved around how is the OP measuring the consumption to see a significant difference between these two modes.

·
Registered
e-tron GT Quattro
166 Posts
Ha, yes i misread! I agree it should make no difference at the same speed between dynamic and comfort.

Perhaps there is no difference or at least should not be to the instant consumption given identical conditions.

And the longer range is expected on the basis of the extra power usage over the remaining battery capacity in the relevant mode.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you looking at the instant consumption meter bar? What speed? At low speeds in comfort most of the times the car will start in 2nd gear while in dynamic it will start and stay in 1st gear for as long as it can. That would explain low speed difference between comfort and dynamic. At highway speeds there should be no difference, the rear only gets decoupled in economy mode as far as I know.
OP here. I used the short term memory consumption meter measuring KWh/100 km. I was using cruise control going 125 km/hr. Nothing changed other than flipping between Comfort and Dynamic. Gear ratio should not be a factor. I was surprised to see any difference hence the question.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OP here. I used the short term memory consumption meter measuring KWh/100 km. I was using cruise control going 125 km/hr. Nothing changed other than flipping between Comfort and Dynamic. Gear ratio should not be a factor. I was surprised to see any difference hence the question.
How flat was the road? A small grade can have significant effect. I can see my instant consumption move around during regular cruse without changing driving mode at all.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please do! Hope all try it. The car is new to me and I am still exploring all the settings. Just found out today that driving in dynamic automatically sets manual regen on one notch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is it possible that changing from Comfort to Dynamic alters the suspension height which impacts efficiency?
It does not. Comfort and Dynamic uses identical ride height strategy throughout the entire speed range.

I did do a cursory test where I alternated between comfort and dynamic and found no discernible difference between the indicated instant consumption bar on the efficiency monitor. Since there is no numerical indicator for instant consumption you can only eyeball that the bar is the same length, which in my case certainly was.

The numerical value displayed is the average for the short term memory which will fluctuate throughout any trip so I am still curious how OP determined that consumption is different between the two driving modes.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I reset the short term memory when I switched between each mode and then let it read for 3 minutes before changing to a different mode. I was reading an absolute number.

perhaps there was another factor in play here. I’ll try it again.

·
Registered
e-tron GT Vorsprung Kemora Grey
117 Posts
My bet is the rear gearbox going to first gear in dynamic mode. It only changes to second gear at high speed whereas second is default from a stop in all other modes other than if you floor the accelerator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am fairly certain the difference in consumption is due to the car cooling the battery more aggressively in dynamic mode.

Like everyone else has mentioned; the car should stay in second gear at those speeds, ride height should be the same in either comfort or dynamic and so should the a/c.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went out to repeat the test today. I got inconsistent results. I think the issue was I was trying to use the short term memory by reseting it to zero as a instantaneous reading and not giving it enough time to settle down. Today I noticed after reseting the short term memory it took several miles to slowly trickle down to a lower reading even though I was at a steady speed of 125 km/hr with cruise control on. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. .

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don’t want to highjack this thread and I don’t have my car yet though I did spend a weekend a while back driving a taycan turbo s and there was a significant difference when changing modes. My Range Rover’s and my F Pace SVR have dynamic modes that also change the cars behavior and performance. I was curious what dynamic mode does in the GT from what I read in the manual all it says is it gives it a more sporty feel but it does not exactly say how it does that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts