Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any clue what this is about? Happened already 6 times this week, at random moments of time, with no apparent reason (areas with great cell coverage)

The manual gets pretty scary

Sounds like a visit at the dealership is in order.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks like you got a fault with your SOS fault reporting button :D

LOL

·
Registered
360 Posts
Press it and see if you get connected :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have had that issue pop up several times, but only when I'm way off the grid. Usually on a forest service road or similar.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All 6 times it happened was with full cell coverage, in the middle of the city or along the major highway, so I do not think cell coverage is an issue in here

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a small update here. The issue apparently is serious enough to get 4 control modules, roof antenna, and some associated support elements replaced. 3 weeks' wait for parts as it stands right now. I just hope they can get me into a loaner etron for the time because the Q5 with 2.0T engine I got for the time being is killing me. No acceleration at all to speak of, gas mileage sucks, and it is just all around feeling of a major downgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That stinks, and I definitely hear you on the Q5, as that's what I've always gotten as well. That said, putting it into sport mode makes quite a difference in how it responds and makes it more drivable. Downside is the effect on gas mileage.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that one of the Q5s they gave me was so stripped down it didn't even have advanced key (door handle sensors). I made it clear in the future that I wouldn't accept a car that stripped down.

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
167 Posts
Seriously? You get a courtesy loaner, and you complain about its lack of features, and will refuse it in the future? To each their own I guess, but I can only imagine the eye rolls if I were to complain about not getting something “up to snuff” when my RS7 or R8 are in the shop.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did complain, it is my right to, and will be getting eTron tomorrow. I bring in an electric car for maintenance, I hope to get an electric one for a loaner as well. They have several of them in stock, it is sellers driving them home.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I did complain, it is my right to, and will be getting eTron tomorrow. I bring in an electric car for maintenance, I hope to get an electric one for a loaner as well. They have several of them in stock, it is sellers driving them home.
If they don't have an E Tron be sure they give you a refresher on how to use a gas station!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it will feel strange to fill the car up. I was looking at my charger today when I pulled in and thinking how long it has been since I used it last. Definitely an odd ball feeling that is for sure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Seems like a few of us are without our vehicles for an extended period of time. If Monday comes around and still no car, it will be 4 full weeks without mine. Good thing I decided to take the e-torn over the Subaru Forester, that was a base model. I feel like I am still driving my car as this version is also a Premium Plus.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got an eTron loaner at last (swapped the Q5), so now they are free to keep my car as long as they want. Next time I will make sure they have electric loaner available and not take anything gas driven :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice! I’ve been enjoying the Sportback and today on the drive home, it threw a bunch of errors. Traffic jam feature stopped working, couldn‘t see all of the messages. It is seems like stuff associated with the sensors for adaptive cruise control also popped up. I did notice that my car moved from the lot into the shop so I guess the repairs are in progress. I’m thinking this car will need some work as well.

I guess the good thing about this is that it happened early in the ownership for them to fix and hopefully it will be a permanent fix. We are the test subjects for these new breed of Audi EVs, let’s hope future generations of EVs benefit from this.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Nice! I’ve been enjoying the Sportback and today on the drive home, it threw a bunch of errors. Traffic jam feature stopped working, couldn‘t see all of the messages. It is seems like stuff associated with the sensors for adaptive cruise control also popped up. I did notice that my car moved from the lot into the shop so I guess the repairs are in progress. I’m thinking this car will need some work as well.

I guess the good thing about this is that it happened early in the ownership for them to fix and hopefully it will be a permanent fix. We are the test subjects for these new breed of Audi EVs, let’s hope future generations of EVs benefit from this.
EV's are more like your microwave oven than like your old ICE vehicle, with many more electronic modules and electronic cross-communication. Electronic devices tend to fail early in ownership, as opposed to more mechanical devices. The early peak in failures for EV's shows up in aggregate data.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It would have been nice if they could have sorted these electric issues to not have those new to EVs have a bad experience and be put off from them. As someone that have had German vehicles, I know they tend to have more electronic issues than other brands. This still seems to be the case and one can only wonder if they will improve that with the move worldwide to EVs.

With Toyota known for many years of experience with hybrid vehicles, one would have thought they would have been at the front of the EV push. It seems however, they are perfecting the tech prior to coming to market. With the pricing announced for the upcoming BMW EVs, one can hope they will be better prepared after partnering with Toyota to build the Z/Supra. Of course there is also the Toyota and Subaru partnership on EVs as well, so in the coming year we will see how products from these partnership do, once released.

For now, those of us with issues with our e-trons, we can only hope once these issues have been fixed, the fix is permanent. These long weeks of repairs tend to turn folks off and they experience will in turn turn into bad press against others making the move to EVs. I’m watching the threads to see how repairs turn out for the others here with issues. Keeping my fingers crossed for good things coming from the repairs.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i agree there. Hopefully, getting out "early" in the market, Audi will be able to apply some real life learning to their next generation. Still, I'd have to say that it is Tesla that has pioneered this "testing in the field" concept. Honestly, in looking back at my 18 months of ownership, it isn't the car fixes (steering module, tail light assembly, etc) that leaves the "less than good" taste in my mouth, it is the miserable, extended issues with MyAudi and MyAudiConnect!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, from past experience, the Germans as well as other manufacturers typically release in their home market before the US. This is typically a year, with lots of data, upgrades and changes for the next model year build cycle. I figured 2 years (US on sale time) in was a good time to jump in however, seems there are still some growing pains.

They really need to work on the App and figure out a way where can plug and charge without futzing around with your phone to charge. I save my free charges for long trips and have used the new ElectrifyAmerica site down the street a couple of times for quick top up. Tesla got some more experience with electric vehicles but Audi has been building cars way longer, so they should have a better handle on these things. Also, by now they should be building cars here so we don’t have to wait weeks for repair part to get shipped over. That is also what is making folks annoyed. The long repair time doesn’t foster confidence.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts