Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got hold of a new E-Tron 55 Sportback. One thing I've noticed is that when accelerating or regenerating at speeds of around 20-30 mph, there's a subtle but noticeable engine noise. Sounds a bit like a cross between a jet engine and a dentist's drill, although of course much quieter. For a car that has a reputation for being very quiet I wasn't expecting it. Is this normal for all EVs? I don't think it's an added external sound as I thought UK cars didn't have that. If it is indeed normal, I dread to think what Te$las must sound like...

·
Registered
87 Posts
This jet sound is typical for electric motors. You can hear this very well with hybrid cars as well when regen kicks in. This is noticeable in the E-tron also, albeit much quieter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new UK cars all have the fake noise, just accelerate slowly with the windows down and you will hear it, put it in reverse and you will hear the weird reverse hum too. It tells you it is fitted (and non-controllable) on the fitted equipment section of the app too.

What you are probably hearing is the motor whine, got to admit I really like the sound it makes.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
303 Posts
At least in the US the artificial pedestrian noise is phased out by 18.6 mph (30km).

What you are hearing is either inverter whine or resonances from the motors. Dentist drill crossed with a jet engine is a great analogy. I have heard these sounds in almost every EV, unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes hate the yet sound. Only noticed it this year when someone mentioned it online. Don't know if it was introduced into speakers in 2020. Heard in the UK, 2020 cars will be installed with outside speaker above wheel before July 21. (new 21 have installed). Anyone get a call to get that done over there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suspect it's the gears in the reduction gearbox. Every EV I've driven does it and I've always thought it was futuristic sounding. The gears are under load when accelerating or regen and have little to no load when coasting. You can hear an extreme example of this @ 8:30 point of this video:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts