Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my etron 55 sportback s line for 5 months now and have noticed the range steadily drop as the seasons change. I was getting 240 miles range per full charge during the warmth of summer and this had steadily dropped to around 210 miles by December.

So earlier this week I thought I'd do an experiment to see what the lowest mileage I could get out of a full charge would be. For this I charged to 100% whereby the range read 213 miles. I then reset the trip mileage and drove the car as 'freely' as possible. Ie dynamic mode, hard acceleration and braking, no regen, heating on full, warm seats, bright ambient lighting, radio on loud and door mirror defrost on. I also preheated the cabin nice and warm (30 mins each time) on two mornings. Short journeys mainly. All in all, the total opposite of careful economical driving.

No surprise that the range plummeted. A couple of short journeys this evening to get the battery to 1% and the car is on the drive. Final odometer reading 118 miles. That is quite a bit less that the WLTP figure of 270 miles. Perhaps ev manufacturers should be made to give a min and max possible range in their brochures. It will be interesting to see what the guessometer comes up with once charging complete.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It should use your recent driving efficiency to give the best estimate of range. If you head off tomorrow driving normally, the range in the car should increase as you drive (up to a point).
Quoting minimum range is not relevant - it's always exactly zero miles and will be achieved by every car by sitting in the drive with all the electrics on.
WLTP is a modern method of comparing mileages across different cars under real-world conditions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stating minimum ranges would be a PR nightmare for Audi and other companies. Especially if someone gets a lower range than the number and starts complaining. It just looks bad.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had my etron 55 sportback s line for 5 months now and have noticed the range steadily drop as the seasons change. I was getting 240 miles range per full charge during the warmth of summer and this had steadily dropped to around 210 miles by December.

So earlier this week I thought I'd do an experiment to see what the lowest mileage I could get out of a full charge would be. For this I charged to 100% whereby the range read 213 miles. I then reset the trip mileage and drove the car as 'freely' as possible. Ie dynamic mode, hard acceleration and braking, no regen, heating on full, warm seats, bright ambient lighting, radio on loud and door mirror defrost on. I also preheated the cabin nice and warm (30 mins each time) on two mornings. Short journeys mainly. All in all, the total opposite of careful economical driving.

No surprise that the range plummeted. A couple of short journeys this evening to get the battery to 1% and the car is on the drive. Final odometer reading 118 miles. That is quite a bit less that the WLTP figure of 270 miles. Perhaps ev manufacturers should be made to give a min and max possible range in their brochures. It will be interesting to see what the guessometer comes up with once charging complete.
With whatever range number they give us, its always an 'estimate' unfortunately, at least in the U.S. Is that also the case with the WLTP rating? Did you look into any real-world range reports by any chance?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
@Pleomorph taking one to for the team, must have been tough that experiment 🤣

Seriously, its good to see an illustration of just how much range can be reduced by driver behaviours. Lots of posts on here recently from new owners seeing reduced range. Your experiment goes some way to explain whats happening in most cases.

Also it should be said ICE cars' range will suffer in the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts