Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’ve got an etron estate 55 on order. We have an MPV as a for the family duties (3 children under ten). The idea waa to keep the MPV as the second car and to use the Etron most of the time. Have any of you with families committed to just having the Etron as the family wagon with maybe a smaller car for the second vehicle in the family? If so how has the Etron performed as a family wagon?

Range isn’t a concern as we normally do 100 miles max in a day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used it for the same purpose for two years.
excellent car, however the back seat is slightly too small for all three kids to fit comfortably and definitely will not have room for three car seats

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It rather depends on your expectations. I tend to agree with Yan, the rear seat probably is rather on the small size for three children. Also, remember there are only 2 pairs of Isofix points in the rear.

Having said that, people raise families with no more than a Ford Fiesta so as I say, it rather depends on your expectations

·
Registered
e-tron 55 quattro Launch Edition 2019
55 Posts
I assume by estate you mean the standard e-tron variant?

When I got my e-tron 55 nearly 3 months ago, I couldn't decide whether to trade in my Hyundai Santa Fe (diesel, and my only car) or keep it for longer journeys or for when more space was needed. I had a family holiday in Scotland coming up soon (a 370 mile journey each way) so considered keeping it until then and selling privately afterwards. My girlfriend (who drives a BMW i3 with a range of about 170 miles) convinced me to go all-in with my first EV and so I traded in the Hyundai.

I haven't looked back since. The e-tron is an excellent family car. For a start, it turns out it's actually much bigger inside than my Hyundai was (which I thought was a big car itself), the whole car is about a foot longer which is reflected in boot space and rear seat legroom. For the Scotland holiday, 2 adults, 2 tall teens, 2 labradors, a dog crate, and luggage all fitted in comfortably. I used the space under the base of the boot (where the spare would go) and the two side bins/compartments for storing luggage not needed until we got there (which was most of it). I'm 6'8" and my girlfriend is 6'0" so we had the driver and passenger seat adjusted as far back as they would go, and my daughters had enough legroom in the back. No problem. The labradors didn't seem to object to their space in the boot either, with enough room for them both to lie down and sleep. Charged at Gretna Green and Glasgow on the way up, which broke up the journey nicely for comfort and snack breaks for the family. The icing on the cake was the ChargePoint Scotland 50kW charger up the road from the holiday lodge that didn't charge any money (deliberately, not an error), so had free driving for the whole holiday.

Definitely have no regrets about having the e-tron as my only car!

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron Premium Plus
25 Posts
We were a 2 Tesla Model 3 family. That was great for road trips. Excited to road trip soon in my new e-tron. Should be great!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
299 Posts
What @steve-g said. Pretty much mirrors my situation but kids are a bit younger.

We are a one car household and the etron is used for UK holidays and errands locally. We have an electric cargo bike for carting kids and stuff if one of the parents is using the etron.

The etron just does everything. For us, its an ideal family wagon. I regretted not speccing the roof rails or tow hitch, those would have made life a bit easier on the odd occasion but not a major problem. There's plenty of space inside.

The biggest issue we regularly encounter is the sat nav. It seems to want to take us on some odd routes, sometimes adding lots of miles and time to a trip. Its annoying so we tend to use Google Maps to verify the route or take over the navigation. When you've got the whole family and animals in the car you need the sat nav to send you on the optimum route (we have checked and tweaked all the settings, no joy!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts