Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, will be my second car

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So can the Etron gt be used as a everyday car? Or is it more of a second car like other sports cars? I did get a chance to drive and sit in the taycan Which I believe is pretty much the same as the gt. I did find it to be a quite low and getting into and out of the car wasn’t smooth and easy (especially the Back seats), it could also be because ive only driven SUVs on thr last 2 years., I don’t know , what do you guys think? those of you getting the GT, will it be your every day car? or a second /evening car?
im thinking of making a switch, but it will be my everyday and only car. so Kind of confused, whether I should pull the trigger or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depends on how many miles per day you drive typically. My wife switched from an ICE SUV to the e-tron SUV and not missed a beat. Outside of long out of town trips (and attendant charging network not being up to snuff), a BEV is actually a better option for a daily driver. Don't have to worry about filling up gas, virtually no maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
Short answer is yes. I have two cars: RS7 and R8. Both are everyday cars for me. They are being replaced by the GT. I'm 65, and getting in and out of my cars is not a problem [part of what makes them everyday cars]. And I don't think it's a range issue any more, depending on where one is going. There is a lot of charging capacity out there, though it will vary by country. I've been planning a US cross-country trip for my GT, and I am surprised by how much is out there. Watch some of the YouTube videos about long-range trips in the e-tron and Taycan, both of which have lower range ratings than the GT will probably have. Occasional challenges? Yes. Just like nasty gas stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Surely daily driving machine. Cheaper to run, no gas filling, pre-heating or cooling. Only thing keeping it away from being DD is that if you drive more than you have range in a day or need more space.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely daily driving machine. Cheaper to run, no gas filling, pre-heating or cooling. Only thing keeping it away from being DD is that if you drive more than you have range in a day or need more space.
my concern isn’t the range or the space. I feel it might be really low like most sports cars, which might not be very comfortable as a DD. Only good to take out in the evening for a spin around town or dinner or short rides.

·
Registered
244 Posts
my concern isn’t the range or the space. I feel it might be really low like most sports cars, which might not be very comfortable as a DD. Only good to take out in the evening for a spin around town or dinner or short rides.
Maybe if you get the RS e-tron it'll be firm but using the Taycan as a comparable, all the reviews I've seen say it's pretty comfortable to drive.

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
There are so many print and video reviews of the car. In some, the author/videographer mentions their own height as a point of reference. There is ample illustration of ingress/egress. If you’re really concerned, wait until you can test drive one. Or go test drive a Taycan (that’s what I did). I think you’re over-anxious about this issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive the GT’s German cousin, a Taycan 4S, as my daily driver. It is perfectly suited for this role, IMO.
yea thanks. i believe they r both the same thing. Brother from another mother. So the statement skulduggery stand true for thr gt aswell

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There are so many print and video reviews of the car. In some, the author/videographer mentions their own height as a point of reference. There is ample illustration of ingress/egress. If you’re really concerned, wait until you can test drive one. Or go test drive a Taycan (that’s what I did). I think you’re over-anxious about this issue.
yes I believe you are right. I am a ltitle over anxious :s

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea thanks. i believe they r both the same thing. Brother from another mother. So the statement skulduggery stand true for thr gt aswell
I really wanted to wait for the GT RS to come out, but the stars aligned when we were picking up my wife’s Etron. The dealer had a brand new’21 4S sitting in the showroom. My wife wanted me to test drive it.............picked it up a week later. So far no issues as my DD, have been driving it for about 2 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently using it as a daily drive, and all okay so far. It's low, but depend on the mode you chose to ride in, it is either really low (efficiency) or middle (comfort & sport). But for all of these, you can temporarily (until you hit a certain speed it seems) highten the car, that's how I do it in underground garages and with very big bumps. I think regular comfort&sport would be ok, but I just make sure by increasing the ride height.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm currently using it as a daily drive, and all okay so far. It's low, but depend on the mode you chose to ride in, it is either really low (efficiency) or middle (comfort & sport). But for all of these, you can temporarily (until you hit a certain speed it seems) highten the car, that's how I do it in underground garages and with very big bumps. I think regular comfort&sport would be ok, but I just make sure by increasing the ride height.
Congratulations on the new e-tron GT @bobbpp and welcome to the forum. Which drive mode do you usually drive in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations on the new e-tron GT @bobbpp and welcome to the forum. Which drive mode do you usually drive in?
Thanks! I've only had it for a week, but so far I have mainly driven in Comfort, and Efficiency on the highway (and small bouts of dynamic of course). The differences are quite noticeable, so that's nice :)

Note: the first X kilometers (still need to find out how many, I'm at 650km now) of a new e-tron GT, the brakes will not be regenerative, but just plain brakes - this is because they want you to "brake-in" the brakes and get them used a bit. So efficiency will not be great in the city during those first X kilometers.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks! I've only had it for a week, but so far I have mainly driven in Comfort, and Efficiency on the highway (and small bouts of dynamic of course). The differences are quite noticeable, so that's nice :)

Note: the first X kilometers (still need to find out how many, I'm at 650km now) of a new e-tron GT, the brakes will not be regenerative, but just plain brakes - this is because they want you to "brake-in" the brakes and get them used a bit. So efficiency will not be great in the city during those first X kilometers.
Welcome! What is your home charging setup like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am waiting about 5 years before I jump in. I need a 400 mile range to be a daily driver; not because of normal use, but my occasional trips across Florida to visit friends and the current lack of a charging infrastructure. Once they get the range up, which I believe Audi will, I will go in and get a non-RS model. It's a beautiful car, and I have my eye on it. I currently have a Panamera base model which has about a 530 mile range on one 23 gal tank of gas; I would love to switch over to a BEV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am waiting about 5 years before I jump in. I need a 400 mile range to be a daily driver; not because of normal use, but my occasional trips across Florida to visit friends and the current lack of a charging infrastructure. Once they get the range up, which I believe Audi will, I will go in and get a non-RS model. It's a beautiful car, and I have my eye on it. I currently have a Panamera base model which has about a 530 mile range on one 23 gal tank of gas; I would love to switch over to a BEV.
Yeah, charging infrastructure is everything in the end. I live in the Netherlands and we have a fast-charger (270+kw) every other 30km on the highway. Driving 400 miles every day would be pretty easy with a 23 minute stop for 5%->80%. Also charging opportunities at your start and destination helps a lot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, charging infrastructure is everything in the end. I live in the Netherlands and we have a fast-charger (270+kw) every other 30km on the highway. Driving 400 miles every day would be pretty easy with a 23 minute stop for 5%->80%. Also charging opportunities at your start and destination helps a lot.
What’s the state of repair these chargers are generally in? Are they reliable or are broken chargers a frequent occurrence? I find that’s almost as important as the number of chargers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts