Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Please help. After 3 months of no issues, I was greeted Sunday with a completely dead GT. Of course I need to get into the Frunk to get the 12V jumped to get the car into neutral or to get it on to a trailer. Two tow companies have been deployed with no idea of how to get the GT out of the garage nor how to get the Frunk open. I followed a thread on how to do it on the Taycan, but no success yet.

Any ideas? Have no idea why the GT zonked out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think there is a bunch of relevent info in this thread:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there is a bunch of relevent info in this thread:

Thanks! I read that earlier. I still don't know the magic trick to get the frunk open when battery is completely dead. Ugh, learning more about this car by the minute, though.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron 55 SUV
119 Posts
If you can't get the frunk open to trickle charge or jump the 12V battery so you can put the car in neutral, you might try to find a tow company that has GoJak dollies or something similar. That might allow you to get it out of the garage and on a flatbed tow truck. You may only need two dollies if only the rear wheels are locked like @TheGuac in the "Worst delivery" thread.

Wheel Tire Purple Bicycle part Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 e-tron 55 SUV
119 Posts
I have an e-tron 55 SUV on order, and I've already purchased a small battery charger to use in case the 12V battery ever dies. The owner's manual advises against jump starting or attaching any charger to the e-tron 12V terminals, so I bought a charger that's only 1.25 amps which shouldn't hurt anything although it may take a while to charge the 12V battery enough to restore functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ5KEEA

EDIT: Apparently the GT has a lithium 12V battery, so this charger might not be appropriate.

The e-tron 55 has the advantage that the frunk release is purely mechanical so you can open it even if the 12V battery is dead. For the e-tron GT, it might make sense to permanently attach 12V charger ring terminal leads to the vehicle and fasten the loose end to a spot that you can reach without opening the frunk (maybe near the windshield wipers or inside a wheel well?). The battery charger shown above comes with ring terminal leads that detach from the charger via a waterproof connection.

There is additional discussion about the e-tron 55 12V terminals in this thread. Perhaps the configuration is similar in the e-tron GT.

12V battery - AudiWorld Forums

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an e-tron 55 SUV on order, and I've already purchased a small battery charger to use in case the 12V battery ever dies. The owner's manual advises against jump starting or attaching any charger to the e-tron 12V terminals, so I bought a charger that's only 1.25 amps which shouldn't hurt anything although it may take a while to charge the 12V battery enough to restore functionality.
The recommendation against charging the 12V battery is likely due to it being an AGM battery. AGM batteries require different charging voltages or otherwise they may get damaged. So the charger needs to have a special mode for AGM batteries not just a low current.

If you connect a jump starter battery for a brief period, it should not damage the 12V battery as it is not really charging it at that point. It merely provides the power to fire up the computers. The 12V battery is probably not big enough to jump start an ICE car which I assume is the reason for the warning in the manual.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron 55 SUV
119 Posts
So the charger needs to have a special mode for AGM batteries not just a low current.
The charger I linked to above is compatible with AGM batteries. EDIT: but perhaps not lithium batteries. I’m sure the dealers are jumping or charging these 12V batteries. It’s a shame Audi doesn’t simply provide instructions on how to do so given how common the dead 12V battery issue has become.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The charger I linked to above is compatible with AGM batteries. I’m sure the dealers are jumping or charging these 12V batteries. It’s a shame Audi doesn’t simply provide instructions on how to do so given how common the dead 12V battery issue has become.
Sure, I just felt it was important to point out before anyone else bought a generic one and destroy their 12V batteries as Audi charges quite a bit for a replacement. But I absolutely agree: Audi should provide more specific instructions about what to do when the 12V battery is dead. I have a LiOn jump starter battery in my trunk for that same reason so I can revive the car if this ever happens to me. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny, with all those 12v stories, I optioned out an Audi 12V charger with my car. The one that Audi is selling is an Audi branded CTEK "lead acid battery charger", I kid you not! It has the AGM mode, as suggested by @coski, but I don't know... The E-tron GT has a 12V LiFePO4 battery.

:unsure:

How important is it really?
Oh and BTW, how come this is still happening, I thought the 12v issue was fixed?
Good luck @SouthernEtronGT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3rd tow truck company arriving soon to try and take a look at it. Called my local Audi dealership to discuss with a technician and they have been zero help. Thanks for all the responses. This is infuriating to say the least. I will keep you updated on the progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told by my service rep that I should lock the car, even when in my garage. Otherwise, the 12v is used to keep things running.

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron GT Prestige/Performance/Leather [Mythos Black]
401 Posts
It's frustrating that there is still zero information out there on how to open the frunk when when the 12v battery is dead. Unfortunately in the linked thread above the OP had no idea how they finally got it open.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow. Good luck. This is nuts.

Similar story on how I even got my car. The RS I initially went to look at in NJ had a dead 12V and no one could figure it out and apparently they triggered some kind of system lock out that needed Audi techs to come solve. They said this was caused by leaving key fob too close to car so it stayed awake and battery drained.

On the day I was supposed to finalize deal they said they couldn’t get battery and might need a few more days. So instead I called around and found the same exact car closer to me and that dealer was willing to match the terms. Did that deal and picked up car a few hours later.

No issues with mine so far, but we’ll see what winter brings. I lock car even in the garage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It all explained in the owners handbook,there is a jump point in the fuse box to enable the opening of the bonnet .The handbook also states if the vehicle is not used for long periods the 12v battery should be charged every 6weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1 - 20 of 252 Posts