Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 month old E-tron Sportback suddenly had drive malfunction and quattro malfunction warning lights. Car was not responding to accelerator pedal and would hop as if motor was engaging and disengaging repeatedly. Managed to get it to dealership. Turns out the rear drive control module needs replaced, which needs to come from Germany. Am researching lemon laws........ This is my 3rd electric car - E-Golf, Tesla 3, now Audi. So disappointed.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
92 Posts
Erm, same has just happened to me last week after 6,000 miles. The power control module J1235 has failed on the rear motor, cost me 5 hours by the side of a cold windswept road waiting for a tow truck. I wasn’t sure whether I’d update this forum yet until I knew what was actually wrong (and what the dealer was going to do about it) - but your message prompted me to reply.

There’s a backlog on this item and I could be waiting a while for it to be expedited. The car seemed to go a bit limp after a short journey, then progressively pinged up lots of different messages before coming to a complete halt with absolutely no drive thereafter. Here’s a few pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. The more I read about this, I'm realising that it's really not an isolated issue. What are you going to do? I guess consumer law in the UK might say that you've already 'accepted' the vehicle so can't return it for a refund, but then it really isn't functioning as it is supposed to. What are Audi saying?
Here in the US it depends on the state you live in as to how to proceed. Where I am if the vehicle has been off the road for a total of 30 calendar days or more in the first 18 months, or if there have been 4 failed attempts to fix it within 18 months (whichever comes first) you can return the car for either an equivalent replacement or a refund of all money except a little to cover however much you drove it before the fault developed. Plus, the manufacturer has to pay any legal costs if it goes to arbitration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My car is still in the workshop after 7 days, I’ve been told that the power controller has failed and am awaiting a replacement. I was initially worried after reading other posts that the gasket between the controller and motor had failed, which would have let coolant run into the motor - but it was dry inside. In talking to the technician he was aware of one other car where that had happened, but luckily mine looks just like an electrical component failure. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else have any problems with the power controller or electric motor in their e-Tron?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got mine back now. Apparently the replacement part was re-manufactured, whatever that means. Anyway, seems to be running ok now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That’s good news, I’m afraid mine is still waiting to be fully repaired. Did the workshop explain what had actually failed and been replaced?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same issue a few days ago 2019 E-tron I bought about 3 months ago. Was driving and heard a loud boom below me with similar electrical system failure. They say one of the main master modules failed and they had to order a new one, they haven't actually opened the car up to see what else is wrong. I'll know possibly Friday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just had the same issue a few days ago 2019 E-tron I bought about 3 months ago. Was driving and heard a loud boom below me with similar electrical system failure. They say one of the main master modules failed and they had to order a new one, they haven't actually opened the car up to see what else is wrong. I'll know possibly Friday.
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. Did they explain which module had failed exactly? Mine was the J1235 rear power controller (mounted onto the motor) and despite being replaced they're having problems getting communications back online.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems like my car is back online, will pick up tomorrow and try to find out what was wrong in the end

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems like my car is back online, will pick up tomorrow and try to find out what was wrong in the end
Power control unit J1235 on rear motor, and gateway J533 under the left passenger seat both replaced. After additional 93H4 service campaign being carried out I'm back on the road!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good to hear! Yes, it seems like when something goes wrong, it is usually an electronics module of some sort. The real world can be tough!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m strangely reassured, the more parts that fail and get replaced and the more service campaigns applied the better the car should be for the rest of my ownership period. I’ve had it 2yrs in April, I’ve barely scratched the surface of what fun could be had though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts