Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my etron sportback 55 in July. During the warm summer days the full charge equivalent range was 255 miles and i was regularly getting 32-35 kWh/100mi for my journeys.

Fast forward to the start of winter. Getting 150 miles per full charge equivalent due to a combination of the cold weather and the amount of electricity the cabin heating/demisting and heated seats take up. Now getting 60-70 kWh/100mi and my driving style is the same.

I only charge up to 80% to preserve the battery longevity, so around 120 miles shows up on the range at this battery level. On my tariff, a charge from near empty up to 80% costs £11. So I am hardly saving anything compared with filling a small diesel.

The cold really does take its toll on range and therefore range anxiety! Are others' experiences the same? Had I known how rubbish the winter range would be i would be having serious second thoughts about buying an etron.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do you regularly use the MyAudi app to set up a timer that will charge the car and precondition the cabin (using wall current) prior to your departure? That will greatly reduce the time it takes for the cars efficiency to get to its optimal level, which will improve your GOM mileage. Myself, I have a 2019 55, so top range is about 204. I, too, only charge to 80%. I'm in Western Oregon, USA, so in summer temperatures 80s/60s F; recently (Nov) 60s/40s. In summer my GOM says max charge is in the low 170's; in Nov, in the low 160'sF. Now, I keep my car in a garage (maybe in the 50's in Nov). Both the battery temp at charging and during use affect mileage. Your drop seems excessive, unless Great Britain weather is a lot more extreme than I have in mind!

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
130 Posts
... On my tariff, a charge from near empty up to 80% costs £11. So I am hardly saving anything compared with filling a small diesel.
That (by my calcs) means you're paying about 17p/unit. Madness. Find a better tariff. If you'd like an Octopus referral please PM me. My average unit cost to charge overnight is about 4p. More in the winter, less in the summer, less on sunny days and much less when its very windy. Sometimes they pay me.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
The car should perform better in the winter once you start on the highway. Short trips are the killer, since the battery doesn't have a chance to warm up.
In addition to @JNealCox's advice, keeping it garaged and plugged in at home will help. Keeping it plugged in will run the heaters from mains power if you like to precondition.

Despite the range hit, BEVs have some advantages in cold weather. You can always precondition the cabin, even in enclosed spaces.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to precondition the cabin but the piece of s app does not allow me to do it. It does concern me that a 160 mile round trip in winter would need a planned charging stop. Not what i would expect from an 80k car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a basic 50 Technik and I use the Start Climate Control function 15 mins before leaving house (car parked on drive). This time of year should be simple as leaving the temp as warm from night before as the basic function is just switch on immediately or timer. Not too bothered I can't change the temp until I get in the car. Just have to plan ahead like the whole EV experience.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
In pretty much in the same boat as @Pleomorph. UK weather can be a couple of degC (or below) during the coldest months of the winter. My e-Tron gets only around 144-167mi on an 80% charge during this time due to early morning preheat. I’m sometimes a bit lazy when returning home so don’t plug the car in overnight, but I have set up ‘Hey Siri warm my car’ using an Apple shortcut. Works a dream as long as the app is operating as expected. There were some problems with the app which needed a trip to the workshop under a TSB to get resolved, all fine now though. Plugging the car in to avoid battery consumption during preheat is the best advice for sure

·
Registered
286 Posts
Right, I remember when I first got my car and we had a cold morning. With no preconditioning, I started out and was appalled at how the miles were just vanishing before my eyes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I picked up my etron sportback 55 in July. During the warm summer days the full charge equivalent range was 255 miles and i was regularly getting 32-35 kWh/100mi for my journeys.
I couldn't get 255 miles range if I dropped the e-tron out of an airplane. I don't think I've even seen 200 miles range at 100% charge.

But to stay on topic, I seem to get worse miles/kW at 50 deg F than when it's 110 deg F (one of the joys of desert living). Seems to me like the heater blocks are operational when I would have thought that the heat pump would be online.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The sweet spot for battery capacity is around 70F. Capacity drops on either side of that and it is worse on the high-temperature side, than on the low. Since the battery heats up during charging, I imagine temperature management at higher ambient temperatures can be a challenge

·
Registered
8 Posts

Fast forward to the start of winter. Getting 150 miles per full charge equivalent due to a combination of the cold weather and the amount of electricity the cabin heating/demisting and heated seats take up. Now getting 60-70 kWh/100mi and my driving style is the same.

I only charge up to 80% to preserve the battery longevity, so around 120 miles shows up on the range at this battery level. On my tariff, a charge from near empty up to 80% costs £11. So I am hardly saving anything compared with filling a small diesel.

The cold really does take its toll on range and therefore range anxiety! Are others' experiences the same? Had I known how rubbish the winter range would be i would be having serious second thoughts about buying an etron.
Same issue. Ended up selling back to Audi and picking up a Q8 gas. First and last electric vehicle for me until the technology is more practical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't get 255 miles range if I dropped the e-tron out of an airplane. I don't think I've even seen 200 miles range at 100% charge.

But to stay on topic, I seem to get worse miles/kW at 50 deg F than when it's 110 deg F (one of the joys of desert living). Seems to me like the heater blocks are operational when I would have thought that the heat pump would be online.
Best range I ever got in my E-tron was 174. Not even close to what they advertise. Half the Evgo or electrify America charges didn't work. Simply put the technology isn't there yet. Tesla has the market. Audi will eventually catch up but not for a while. I got rid of my E-tron after 9 months.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Best range I ever got in my E-tron was 174. Not even close to what they advertise. Half the Evgo or electrify America charges didn't work. Simply put the technology isn't there yet. Tesla has the market. Audi will eventually catch up but not for a while. I got rid of my E-tron after 9 months.
Sorry to hear so many people having issues. I've have mine for 1 year/10,000 miles and I get around 175 miles at 80%. Typical use is commuting, and charging it in my garage once/week.
Thanks for sharing your opinions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts