Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning a trip into the mountains. I am reading three sites for charging etc. I have a route planned but am anxious because of mountains in my plans.
I don’t know if the apps take elevations and grades into consideration when they give range between charging ports
has anyone driven through mountains and been stranded due to extra battery drain? Are the apps clued in as far as expected range goes? I understand there are a lot of variables.
I just am trying not to get stranded especially where Chargers are few.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I drove across the Coastal range from Portland, OR, to the coast and found ABRP (A Better Route Planner) did a decent job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m planning a trip into the mountains. I am reading three sites for charging etc. I have a route planned but am anxious because of mountains in my plans.
I don’t know if the apps take elevations and grades into consideration when they give range between charging ports
has anyone driven through mountains and been stranded due to extra battery drain? Are the apps clued in as far as expected range goes? I understand there are a lot of variables.
I just am trying not to get stranded especially where Chargers are few.
thanks.
I have driven extensively in hilly and mountainous terrain but not in the etron because we only have a Taycan here ATM.

However, I can translate that to how your power usage will generally play out.

1) if your route is rolling and winding (ie <60 mph) you will see an increase in efficiency as the regen on the downs will optimize power usage
2) if your route has a relatively fast loss of elevation combined with a somewhat moderate speed ascent you can regain significant range on the descent.

For example, driving the Taycan with 3 unused bike racks on top going from 4500 to 9400 ft in ~20 miles on a mild day (50 F-65 F) the energy usage was 1.2 mi/kwh (like 100 miles range) . Descending from 9400 back to 4000 ft over 48 miles with some rolling terrain with speeds mostly <60 mph I averaged 8.9 mi/kwh (745 miles range).

So what kind of range you get will depend on how much charge you have when you hit a climb and your elevation loss from the top to your next charger.

Audi calculates this stuff with the etron when you enter the entire route into the navigation/app though I have not done any long trips in the Audi. With the Porsche’s system it was pretty accurate and routes you to chargers as needed.

I can say that with net elevation gain/loss of 0 your efficiency/predicted range should be close to the same as on flat ground but it will depend on where you encounter the biggest climbs (Ie at 100% SOC vs 50%) whether you experience range anxiety.

Also, ambient temperature might affect range if you’re climbing up to a much colder elevation (and using a lot of the heater) though this might be offset by the higher battery temps when sustaining high energy use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. It has eased my mind about range anxiety. The last leg of my trip is the longest. I get to Asheville, NC with 10% left. No issues charging there just nothing between my last charge and this one
it will be a lot cooler and mostly up hill. But I was hoping to hear that Audi had most of the terrain covered. I’ve used Audi with my PHEV and it holds the charge pretty well for a programmed trip. I’ll have this one programmed with stops as well
I appreciate the feedback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts