Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

when you drive etron at low speeds, it makes very loud fake engine noise

is there a way to disable it or make it less loud?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this is for safety.
It is just that the noise is louder than most gasoline cars.
It sounds like I'm driving a huge gas guzzler and it hurts my street green credentials :)
I wish I could make is quieter...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure if its the same in the US, but here in the UK (well actually in the EU) it is a legal requirement now for EV cars to make a certain level of noise for safety reasons.

If it is a legal requirement over there too (I expect it probably varies from state to state as most things do over there) then I would look into the ramifications of turning it off first (assuming it is possible) - especially if you end up running someone over because they didnt hear you.

That said, if it is really loud, it might be worthwhile asking the dealer to look at it in case the setting has been put too high.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can unplug the sounding module in front of front passenger tire...but it will produce an error message. Other than that, you'd have to modify the sound module. There are no adaptations or configuration changes that you can change to disable it via software.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can unplug the sounding module in front of front passenger tire...but it will produce an error message. Other than that, you'd have to modify the sound module. There are no adaptations or configuration changes that you can change to disable it via software.
Thank you

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
You might be able to cover the speaker with something to dampen the volume. I think the sound is great personally, but you're right - it is louder than most gas cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be able to cover the speaker with something to dampen the volume. I think the sound is great personally, but you're right - it is louder than most gas cars.
I'll try to ask my dealer to adjust it when I go for scheduled maintenance

·
Registered
286 Posts
The "fake noise" is also a legal requirement in the US. Keep in mind, this is not just a requirement to annoy you. There have been several documented cases of pedestrians walking into EV's because they were not alerted. If you disable it, you will be liable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The "fake noise" is also a legal requirement in the US. Keep in mind, this is not just a requirement to annoy you. There have been several documented cases of pedestrians walking into EV's because they were not alerted. If you disable it, you will be liable.
I assume as well if your insurance company found out you removed a safety feature (that was there to cover a legal requirement) then they would void your insurance?

Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is not that loud. It's a low rumbling noise. Perhaps compare with other eTrons to see if there is actually an issue with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts