Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new Audi Etron Premium Plus two weeks ago and needed to travel from Portland, OR to Spokane, WA. Since it was my first road trip and I'm still new to the E-tron and the temp was in the 30s and 40s, I wanted to be very conservative on range, so stopped in Hood River, OR; Hermiston, OR; and Ritzville, WA before getting into Spokane with nearly 50% charge.

I'm very pleased with the charge rate at the Electrify America Stations at the locations. By the time I used the nearby facilities, and grabbed a couple snacks and something to drink I only had to wait 10 minutes or less at each stop to get 90% or better charge. Had absolutely no issues with charging errors that I have read about in Mach-E posts, which I have to admit influenced me to choose the E-tron over the Mach-E (along with build quality).

Access to the Electrify America chargers was also great - right off the highway exit. At the first two stations I was the only vehicle charging, and at the third there was only one other car.

There has been a lot of criticism of the E-tron's range, but I think if you plan stops at fast (150Kw or better) charging stations, the Audi makes up for it on a road trip by maintaining a much faster charging rate than most EVs all the way though to 100% if you need it. I saw 146-124 kwph all the way through 85% and never below 46 kwph as I approached 100% in cold weather conditions.

The great thing was that in Spokane I stayed a motel that offers free ChargePoint charging to it's guests. There are only two chargers, but during my three night stay I was the only car using them. I plugged in the night I got there and had a full charge by morning. A bonus was the climate control feature in the My Audi App allowed me to warm the car, including heated seats and steering wheel, from my room each morning while the care was still on the charger, so the car was nice and toasty when I went to it in the 20 degree mornings.

The trip over to Spokane was a charging station and charge rate test, so I decided to make the trip home a range test. Left with a 100% charge thanks to the motel and drove 170 miles to Hermiston, OR, arriving with just 8% due to cool weather conditions and highway speeds. There was no one charging at the Hermiston Electrify America, but I did have to ask a woman who had parked blocking the charging stations to relocate. Charged to 100% on about 30 minutes at a 350 kwph station and was on my way. I decided to skip the Hood River stop as it looked like I had more than enough charge to make it home Arrived home with 45 miles of range to spare. :)

My only real aggravation was with the MMI nav system on the trip over to Spokane. I used it to plan the charging stops and even though I said 120 kwph minimum it wanted me to stop at a charging station about half way between Hermiston and Ritzville that was only 50 kwph, and when I went past it it kept nagging me to to do a U turn every 2-5 miles. Finally solved that by turning off Nav and making Ritzville a favorite before turning it back on again.

All in all a great road trip in my new E-tron!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Excellent account, thanks - no pics though :D LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately there isn't much to see in a Walmart parking lot or eastern Oregon and Washington road stops, but will try to remember to take some pics next time🙂

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't much to see in a Walmart parking lot or eastern Oregon and Washington road stops, but will try to remember to take some pics next time🙂
and pics of the car would be good :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts