Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took out my dealer’s launch car today. More beautiful in person than any video. Mythos Black (not my fave by any measure, but it looks really good with the inverted Singleframe grille) and Dinamica interior. I was surprised at how good the 20” wheels look. The Dinamica is actually quite nice. A lot like Alcantara. Loved just about everything about the car, with one glaring exception: the console storage. It is easily the smallest storage area I have ever seen in any Audi, including my R8. Wireless charging won’t work with any iPhone bigger than an X. I have a 12 Pro Max, and I could barely wedge it into the console; it also doesn’t fit in the cup holders. I envision some third party solutions here, maybe even for the glovebox. In contrast, my phone fits in my R8 console easily. This is a huge miss by Audi. But then, this has always been the weak spot of otherwise superb cabin work. On the upside, some of the silly comments about the console not providing a comfortable place for one’s elbow and forearm turned out to be, well, silly. It’s a very comfortable cockpit. I love the sounds the car makes. Steering is tighter than any Audi I have driven before; not as pinpoint or “heavy” as the Taycan, but very crisp and precise. In Dynamic mode, suspension is firm but still much more comfortable than the steel DRC in my RS7. Acceleration is of course excellent. And the cabin is very quiet. MMI sometimes crisp and occasionally sluggish. CarPlay setup reasonably smooth. The matte carbon fiber looks great. But Audi, please, just say “no” to piano black. Fingerprints and smudges everywhere.
During the drive, the virtual cockpit kept flashing a “Charging connection error” warning at me. Audi still has yet to get the software right.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Crikey, you drive that car and the pertinent point of the review is that your 'phone doesn't gel with it?
Get another 'phone, buy a different car and move on.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Crikey, you drive that car and the pertinent point of the review is that your 'phone doesn't gel with it?
Get another 'phone, buy a different car and move on.
That’s an odd response. I commented on a lot more than that; if that’s all you saw as pertinent, then maybe you ought to re-read it, because I sure wrote more than that. As I said, that, piano black, and software errors are the only misses I saw. The fact that you perceived the phone as the “pertinent” part of my review is, well, odd, and it’s on you, not me. It seemed to me others might want to know. If you don’t, then go ahead, move on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took out my dealer’s launch car today. More beautiful in person than any video. Mythos Black (not my fave by any measure, but it looks really good with the inverted Singleframe grille) and Dinamica interior. The Dinamica is actually quite nice. A lot like Alcantara. Loved just about everything about the car, with one glaring exception: the console storage. It is easily the smallest storage area I have ever seen in any Audi, including my R8. Wireless charging won’t work with any iPhone bigger than an X. I have a 12 Pro Max, and I could barely wedge it into the console; it also doesn’t fit in the cup holders. I envision some third party solutions here, maybe even for the glovebox. In contrast, my phone fits in my R8 console easily. This is a huge miss by Audi. But then, this has always been the weak spot of otherwise superb cabin work. On the upside, some of the silly comments about the console not providing a comfortable place for one’s elbow and forearm turned out to be, well, silly. It’s a very comfortable cockpit. I love the sounds the car makes. Steering is tighter than any Audi I have driven before. Acceleration is of course excellent. And the cabin is very quiet. MMI sometimes crisp and occasionally sluggish. CarPlay setup reasonably smooth. The matte carbon fiber looks great. But Audi, please, just say “no” to piano black. Fingerprints and smudges everywhere.
During the drive, the virtual cockpit kept flashing a “Charging connection error” warning at me. Audi still has yet to get the software right.
View attachment 2347 View attachment 2348 View attachment 2349 View attachment 2350 View attachment 2351
At least the console opens. In the Taycan, the console lid will not stay up on its own. You have to hold it open with your elbow while trying to get anything (including phone) out of the console. That’s an even bigger design “miss.”

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
At least the console opens. In the Taycan, the console lid will not stay up on its own. You have to hold it open with your elbow while trying to get anything (including phone) out of the console. That’s an even bigger design “miss.”
Wow. And funny how I missed that when I drove the Taycan. Yes, that would suck. Crikey indeed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some great insight into some bits I missed, I have driven the RS GT Carbon Vorsprung twice, I had it once for 24 hours and it was an insane driving experience, the acceleration is so quick, far too easy to exceed the speed limit ;-) I know this will be a popular choice but for some of us our company car schemes just won't stretch to an RS, even if I wanted to pay the extra, it would be nice for the dealers to have the Quattro model too, I know that's a lot to ask... but for me I was really interested in the differences between the pano glass roof and the carbon roof of the RS. I never did try the launch control :-(

The noticeable thing is the length, I took it to Tescos and parked with the rear end just on the back line of the space and it sticks out quite a bit at the front, more than I expected.

I have also driven the Taycan, both times with my wife beside me and we both agreed that the GT was a more comfortable car to sit in, both drive really well. Oddly my wife thought an EV would be like the movies, totally silent inside, but was reassured by some wind and tyre noise :).

I never tested the phone storage/charging so your post was useful I have the same phone so face the same problem, thankfully my works mobile is smaller, so may have to use that for Carplay etc.

Anyway I was so impressed and my company just introduced an incentive to swap to EV early in my current cars contract so I ordered the GT Quattro with a few packs in Kemora Grey and the Monaco Blue Steel Nappa and I am just waiting for dealer confirmation of the order...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts