Audi e-tron Forum banner

Free Charging at ElectrifyAmerica stations this weekend!

2K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  rlcutter 
#1 ·
Just found out after plugging in, may all our road trips be a little sweeter!

#3 ·
Since I have long drive to Cali coming up, I wanted to take her out for a test run as it will be the first long drive since the repair. Initially, I was acing trouble at the site, getting the charge to start. All the posts in the App Sid in available but there were 2 vehicles charging. ElectrifyAmerica service agent tried resetting the one I was next to but no dice. Tried another and it started working and in advised her that I hadn’t processed the payment, that is when she told me it was free for the weekend but wasn’t advertised. It was like a bonus thing for those that used it. I’m thinking about trying another long trip tomorrow to do about 2 charges out then back

With my style of driving, I calculate a real world range of about 186 miles, with that last 26 being at turtle speed, based on my first road trip attempt, when I had to get towed. With this knowledge, I’ll plan my trips accordingly. The e-torn is a really comfortable cruiser, I drove it out using Auto and man, it responded well when needing to get through traffic and leaving vehicles in the dust. Didn’t even have to put it in Dynamic mode. On the trip back, I used Efficient and put it in S mode few times to get better response for passing. It performed just as well as in Auto but not as fast. I just wished it would have a real world range of 350 miles when at 90, with the high speed limits on these interstates, most folks are at that and higher. Having close 400 around town would also be a good way to balance it out. I don’t mind the stops at around 2 hours, in my older years, going for bathroom breaks and grabbing a bite, covers the charging time just fine, prior to getting back in the road. Hooray for fast charging!

#5 ·
We are on a road trip in the Midwest right now. Charged three times for free, just plugged in and it started to charge. We had no issues whatsoever really. Started at 130-152 kW. The last time it dropped a little to 63 kW at around 80% and then went up to 89 kW before it reached 90%. But overall, it was pretty quick at all stops.

#8 ·
That sounds about right in the ballpark of what I came up with. With regular at ~3.50 / gallon right now, it is a bit cheaper, but obviously it is quite far from home charging on regular basis. Even with the monthly pass it is still .31/kWh (three times higher than home rate) and there are additionally different concession fee, depending on the location. It works fine for long trips, but if it was the only way to get the car charged on regular basis, I would think five times before getting the EV.

#9 ·
That really depends on the ICE care you are coming from, not may cars out there gives you 40 MPG, nor do all the people that has one gets that (my Optima hybrid is rated 42 combined and 46 highway, we are at 36 for lifetime use) mileage. I had a KIA Stinger GT2 AWD with the 3.3T engine which requires premium fuel, it would take about $10+ to get that same 80 miles of range. I did some math prior to taking the plunge and knew if I had to use a DC Fast charger as my only place to charge, it would still cost less the "fuel" than the Stinger. In addition, not having to do oil changes or really any major maintenance on the e-tron (or any EV I chose), I would come out better. I ended up getting the car prior to getting getting a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed and actually used the DC fast charge station twice while locating someone to install at a reasonable price.

What is odd to me is Audi only giving 1000KWh free charging on the e-tron and VW and some newer cars are getting 3 years. Even the new e-tron GT is getting 3 years. Not sure why we weren't so lucky there. I do however, plan on using those free charges on my long trips only, now that I can charge at home. If they decide to add more later, I'll take it.

#10 ·
not having to do oil changes or really any major maintenance on the e-tron (or any EV I chose), I would come out better.
There is still the brake fluid replacement and kind of mandatory maintenance cycles. I hope these do not become the "oil" replacement on eTron. There was a thread about it as well.
I ended up getting the car prior to getting getting a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed and actually used the DC fast charge station twice while locating someone to install at a reasonable price.
I just used once to test whether it works. No surprises, but for now still able to do all trips within the range of home charger without any major issues. Also, waiting for the workplace to add chargers, which will be pretty nice since we might be getting cheap charging option when the car is parked for 8 hours straight.
What is odd to me is Audi only giving 1000KWh free charging on the e-tron
Yeah, that was a bit odd considering ID.4 is getting 3 years with no cap.

#11 ·
I’ve come across a couple of folks asking me about the charging process and the car in general, while at EA charge points. It’s been folks in their 40 and 50s. It seems there are more interests these days in going EV. One drove a sedan and the other a pickup truck. EA stations that were under construction are now live, in the Phoenix/Tempe area. I’m guessing the other guys are also ramping up their roll out as well.

Some of my friends back east are curious about them as well, some are looking to plug-in hybrid as the roll out in their area isn’t as good yet. One took the plunge before I did and got a Tesla and some others are also looking at Tesla’s but the quality issues are holding back. Now, with Hyundai and KIA coming to market with theirs, Toyota and Subaru showing theirs and more recently Volvo showed their concept, if they are priced to allow more people to afford them, we are goin got need more charging points to keep up. Plus, the power companies are going to have to add more capacity and really look into other methods of producing energy.

The change over is going to cause some headaches as folks learn how to ‘fuel’ and maximize the life of their battery. I think we should have battery swap options available as well as increased charging points. The next year is going to be exciting.

#12 ·
The change over is going to cause some headaches as folks learn how to ‘fuel’ and maximize the life of their battery. I think we should have battery swap options available as well as increased charging points. The next year is going to be exciting.
I would take the option of having battery replacement option on eTron down the road. Car stays the same, just battery with newer tech becomes available and can be replacement. Wouldn't that be cool?

#13 ·
It would! If it’s a subscription service, separate from the vehicle, causing the vehicle price to become lower and allowing you to choose the size you want for normal commute and long distance travel. Plus the option to also choose to purchase your preferred size if you don’t want the subscription service.

#15 ·
Yep. However, once they get this on the EV platform, it will also allow for increased interior and cargo space and should be lighter, resulting in better range. It’s too bad KIA didn’t make the Stinger an EV. Seeing the e-torn GT, if the Stinger went EV and kept its performance and handling, I’d want one. Right now, I’m dreading what else will fail on my e-tron and miss the Stinger at times. I am getting the hang of the e-tron though, it can be fun on highway trips in Dynamic mode. Just wish it could have longer range.

#17 ·
Read that, clearly the person that wrote the article don’t know much about EVs. Wouldn’t surprise me if HMC jumped on that. They did show their own charging network they are building out in Korea; Hyundai Motor Group Teases E-pit Fast Charging Stations
The Koreans have been making a lot of their own stuff and getting better at it over the years. Plus buying up other businesses to add under their umbrella. Recently they acquired Boston Dynamics, who knows what they plan to do in robotics but I’m sure they have something planned.

In addition, they also are in partnership with EA for their EVs to include the upcoming IONIQ5. I like the idea of a canopy to shade vehicles while you are charging.
On another note, Audi and EA need to sort out the plug and charge thing, so they can do payment via your online account, instead of needing the App. It was sort of annoying to have to mess with the App when a Mustang Mach E and ID.4 just plugged in and it started charging. I much prefer the plug and charge like it has been on the free charging days.

#18 ·
Audi and EA need to sort out the plug and charge thing, so they can do payment via your online account, instead of needing the App.
yes, please - it would take away the issue of having plug fun when it just refuses to work. Even better, set up a post-paid account associated with your car, pull up, charge, and pay after that, just like gas station. It is all software at the end of the day, nothing more.

#20 ·
I charged at electrify America last weekend for the first time. Not a fun thing. Three machines were out of order. I tried the 150w and it’s wheels went spinning then said error. I had to call their number. Change ports again they finally got one on line. It was in the bright Florida sun to boot. No shade no trash bins. No way of telling which ports were workI got. I suggested a big red x on the front they said they would pass that along. All in all it was fast enough after going through a litany of trial and error. No doors can be opened, no aux turned in, unlock vehicle instead of locked. A few contradictions. I wanted a trial run before headed on the road.
so I’ll consider this a learning curve.
as for paying if they had tap pay or Apple Pay that would be awesome.

#21 ·
Lol, bright Florida sun you say. I got you beat with the Arizona desert sun and 105+ degrees. By the time I arrived at the charger location, all of them said in available in the App, when they were online prior to my trip. 2 cars were charging though, so I tried a couple more times before calling. The unit’s didn’t didn’t say they were unavailable so they should work. while on the phone with them, a VW ID.4 pulled up, plugged in and started charging. She tried to reset the unit I was at but another unit rebooted. I plugged into another location and it began charging.

I learned that no matter what the units say, you can try another or call and they typically can reset it and get it working. In planning trips, I look for nearby stations just to be on the safe side and not run the charge down too low, in case need to find another. Also bought a Tesla adapter to allow me to use destination chargers, as they seem to be in more places. Another thing to do of you haven’t is use PlugShare to get info on locations outside of ElectrifyAmerica sites.

#33 ·
I got an email from the company advising me how to use the unit.

1. After connecting the Tesla charger to our adapter, please wait 30 seconds before connecting it to the electric vehicles.
  2. If you are using Tesla Destination Charger or a Tesla Wall Connector and you see a red light blinking on the charger, please adjust the charger current to 40A or below (i.e. set the rotary switch to position 1-8).
  3. Please make sure that the charger you are connecting to does not exceed your EV's voltage rating.
  4. Please make sure the Tesla Charger is plugged into the adapter tightly.
Based on the reviews, most seem to have been positive. All of this is a new learning curve for us EV adopters, I’m hoping it is a timing thing and waiting the 30 seconds will ensure a successful connection. I’ll post my experience with it.

#34 ·
#35 ·
Well, has luck would have it, on my drive out to Cali today, I was able to charge for free at 2 places, for a short while anyways. The first one at Dateland was at 34 kWh, I stopped it after 2 minutes, didn’t want to wait 2 hours to the charge I needed. The second unit I tried started at 98 kWh, then I checked it while getting a snack and it dropped to 37. Moved again to the 350 unit, it started out at 138 and ended up at 68 to wrap up the 90% charge. This wasn’t free though, I ended up using my credit from Audi.

Pretty much the same in Centro, only a short free charge on the 150 unit at 34 kWh, then has to use Audi credit on the 350 unit which started at 119 kWh. Sad that there seems to only be that one station in Centro in the bank parking lot. Ended up doing a 3rd charge about 12 miles from my destination in San Diego, no free charge here. I charged Up to 90% to have some charge for the next couple of days. Hotel parking lot has 1 J1772 and 2 Tesla destination charger, 4 Tesla’s were parked in that area 2 charging. Found an issue that will be a major one if we can’t get it fixed before heading back. I’ll start another thread on it.

#36 ·
EGEB: Here's how much it costs to charge your EV with rooftop solar - found it interesting, especially the part of

If home rooftop solar is used to charge an electric car in the US, it costs just $415 annually, compared to $662 on grid power at home annually, and $1,058 annually with a public EV charger, according to a study conducted by consumer solar panel installation reviews website SolarReviews. The study also found that it costs up to $1,260 annually to fill a gas car’s tank.

... which seems pretty much inline with some of the figures tossed around in here. The 400ish figure for roof solar is interesting as well, especially since with the right size panel set this is pretty much down to the panels depreciation value over the period of time. Either way, charging at home is roughly 50% of running costs of an ICE, statistically, and this does not account for the alleged maintenance savings, obviously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.