Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is the e tron grille an after thought? Why didn't they either close or open all the louvers rather than a short segment.. it looks like they're broken, there's little or no effect of cooling. Stupid looking. There's no argument about cooling as most other EV's have a fully closed front end.

If it wasn't a lease car I'd source an aftermarket alternative should they be available.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I agree, the front grille design looks like an afterthought. For some reason the only photos I've seen where it looks half decent is with the gray body color. Not sure why! At least it looks better the the BMW EV's Beaver Face. Maybe ICE car designers have a mental block when it comes to EV's!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha the beaver beemer. Luckily ours is pearl daytona grey but I just wish it was complete.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They cannot be ALL open or else the battery would cool down too much and they cannot be ALL closed or else the battery would get too hot and not have proper venting as well. I guess you'd like them to have the louvers on a motor? and they would open and close with temp? Or have louvers behind the grille and the grille remains open? Can you draw something up and post it for review?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
They cannot be ALL open or else the battery would cool down too much and they cannot be ALL closed or else the battery would get too hot and not have proper venting as well. I guess you'd like them to have the louvers on a motor? and they would open and close with temp? Or have louvers behind the grille and the grille remains open? Can you draw something up and post it for review?
Compared with most EV's (and especially Tesla), the E Tron has invested major effort in dealing with the thermal maintenance of the battery. This is why it has by far the top DC charging rate in the industry, maintaining high constant charging rates up to 80% charge. For one thing, there is a circulating "gel fluid" system that interacts with all the heat generating components of the car and, I think, it has sort of "radiator" system in front to help in that job. You might find this useful:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's purely the cosmetics of it! Plenty of other manufacturers have it sorted, take the Ipace, a very normal looking Jaguar grille. I'm sure their argument will reflect yours but Tesla have little or no front end venting. It's bad design full stop. That small segment is never going to optimise air intake, its either open or closed. The most benefitting of this is the storage compartment for the cables that receives all of the intake at the position and angle of the vent. How does that work?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Total cosmetics

It’s like some bizarre gap View attachment 1443

Total cosmetic? NO.

"2019 Audi e-tron quattro - With regards to exterior design, the e-tron quattro looks very much like a conventional SUV with distinctive design elements such as headlights and taillights fitted with horizontal bars. The Singleframe grille features a controllable cool-air inlet with movable louvers that close when cooling is not required and open to allow for cooling airflow. "

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Here's a more detailed explanation:

"It might appear as though the e-tron's take on Audi's now traditional single-frame hexagonal grille is just for show. After all, Tesla has been pushing the notion that electric cars needn't have grilles at all, what with their lack of engines starved for cool air. That's a myth, of course—electric components need cool air, too. Which explains why the e-tron's grille has slits running through its middle (the top and bottom areas are closed off), while slats and vertical strakes dress it up like a proper grille. Electrically controlled flaps behind the grille's open middle can open or close as the drivetrain and front brakes' cooling needs dictate, or they can close to improve the e-tron's aerodynamics by reducing drag. In spite of this techy flourish, Audi found room in the e-tron's nose for a frunk (front trunk, get it?). Open the hood and you'll see the cubby's lid, which Audi cheekily disguised as a gasoline-powered car's plastic engine cover. "

It may be that the bottom scoops, etc, are for directing air over the bottom of the battery pan to help dissipate the heat from the battery.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Do the louvres actually close the grill in reality? Anyone seen them closed or would that only happen in the 'extreme' temperatures? In terms of the aerodynamic comment, does that mean they close at a certain speed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 1444 View attachment 1445

Total cosmetic? NO.

"2019 Audi e-tron quattro - With regards to exterior design, the e-tron quattro looks very much like a conventional SUV with distinctive design elements such as headlights and taillights fitted with horizontal bars. The Singleframe grille features a controllable cool-air inlet with movable louvers that close when cooling is not required and open to allow for cooling airflow. "
Here's a more detailed explanation:

"It might appear as though the e-tron's take on Audi's now traditional single-frame hexagonal grille is just for show. After all, Tesla has been pushing the notion that electric cars needn't have grilles at all, what with their lack of engines starved for cool air. That's a myth, of course—electric components need cool air, too. Which explains why the e-tron's grille has slits running through its middle (the top and bottom areas are closed off), while slats and vertical strakes dress it up like a proper grille. Electrically controlled flaps behind the grille's open middle can open or close as the drivetrain and front brakes' cooling needs dictate, or they can close to improve the e-tron's aerodynamics by reducing drag. In spite of this techy flourish, Audi found room in the e-tron's nose for a frunk (front trunk, get it?). Open the hood and you'll see the cubby's lid, which Audi cheekily disguised as a gasoline-powered car's plastic engine cover. "

It may be that the bottom scoops, etc, are for directing air over the bottom of the battery pan to help dissipate the heat from the battery.
That's fine but look at the Q4 e tron and e tron GT? Why couldn't they implement those grilles or similar designs? Whatever the necessity for air there's a far better design than broken looking louvers. Even if that section was the pivotal element, they could have at least left them all open.. never too much cool air apparently and have blanked panels behind the non functional sections so there's a purposeful symmetrical looking front. Its stupid looking and no breakdown of mechanical or technical benefit will convince me either way.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That's fine but look at the Q4 e tron and e tron GT? Why couldn't they implement those grilles or similar designs? Whatever the necessity for air there's a far better design than broken looking louvers. Even if that section was the pivotal element, they could have at least left them all open.. never too much cool air apparently and have blanked panels behind the non functional sections so there's a purposeful symmetrical looking front. Its stupid looking and no breakdown of mechanical or technical benefit will convince me either way.
Sorry, but now we are getting into aesthetic opinions now. Myself, I am very happy my E Tron 55 does not have that really homely grille sported by the GT. It looks like a corrugated tin snout looking for a place to settle in. To me it is a step back in design. The only grille worse is the Beaver Face the new BMW EV sports.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like my sportback 55 too but hate the broken looking louvre, had 3 people ask whats wrong with the front... we only took delivery last Friday! I rest my case. If an aftermarket upgrade comes along.. I'm first to buy.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
If its there to stop airflow when the battery is cold, or to allow airflow when the battery is warm, then I struggle to understand why its open all the time in cold/freezing conditions?

Its a like how Audi also say the BMS keeps the battery in the optimal temperature range even from a cold start. It doesn't. Battery temperature in cold conditions is stone cold and it doesn't start to warm up until 20-30mins driving. It feels like either the marketing info is wrong or serious mistakes have been made wrt design of the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly Chris, I'm not wanting an argument but it does look rather odd. If Thomas from autogefuehl is concerned, so am I 😂😂

1 - 20 of 35 Posts