Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Q4 last week and the dealership said that the front license plate should be drilled and installed directly on the front "grill". The dealership said they would do the install, I just need to bring them the license plate.

I think it is a terrible idea to drill into the grill...on a brand new car. Anyone else thinks the same? Did anyone install their front license plate anywhere else?

· Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
213 Posts
I 100% agree that this is a terrible idea. You can consider something like this (just an example)

I live in California, but even though a front license plate is required by law, many cars (especially nice and expensive) do not bother. I read on-line forums regarding this an most people say that a cop will not cite you for this, unless you have other violations. Like if you are getting a speeding ticket, the cop may also cite you for the missing front license plate, but will not stop you only because of that.

· Registered
42 Posts
I 100% agree that this is a terrible idea. You can consider something like this (just an example)

I live in CA, but even though a front license plate is required by law, many cars (especially nice and expensive) do not bother. I read on-line forums regarding this an most people say that a cop will not cite you for this, unless you have other violations. Like if you are getting a speeding ticket, the cop may also cite you for the missing front license plate, but will not stop you only because of that.
I live in Virginia and I have decided not to attach the front plate. My argument with the law will be the car is designed not to have a plate attached to the front. Who knows?

· Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
213 Posts
I live in Virginia and I have decided not to attach the front plate. My argument with the law will be the car is designed not to have a plate attached to the front. Who knows?
Similar argument here. It's like with tinted windows, a user cannot do this legally (I remember someone telling me this), but if it's from a factory it's ok. My personal additional argument is that the car was designed to be as aerodynamically smooth as possible, and the license plate will make your efficiency worse.

· Registered
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron
55 Posts
I actually wanted to post a question about this today as well, thanks OP.
My dealer did not drill onto the front grill and left it up to me to decide. He said many Teslas don't do it either in California because the design is like that. He also said no one gets cited for it, with the exception of being in a Government building maybe.
Wondering if there is some sort of holder that will attach to the bottom black grill/vent but that just seems like a plastic part. The grill does not seem like super solid material either, in addition to me not liking the thought of drilling into it. But looks like this is the only place to do it?

· Registered
22 GT
145 Posts
Here's a thread from the GT section discussing this issue.

There are a couple of options for adjustable stainless brackets which can thread into your front tow hook receiver.

There are also options for sourcing a vinyl reproduction of the plate, which is what I chose, but I don't think that viable for the heavily textured "grill" on the Q4.

The GT "grill" has a honeycomb pattern which does allow for adequate vinyl adhesion.

Here's mine:

BTW, in Virginia the front license plate is required. But failure to display is not a primary offense, meaning you cannot get pulled exclusively for that offense. A speeding or HOV violation may see it tacked on a secondary offense.

· Registered
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron
55 Posts
Thanks for the good info.
I looked into the tow hook bracket option - sadly, it mounts on one side of the vehicle and not centered, which I don't like - so not a viable option.
Here is another license place wrap option which appears to be acceptable in my state at least: https://licenseplatewrap.com/ - which seems similar to the Vinyl option.
However, based on the kind of grill the Q4 has, this won't work either.

· Registered
14 Posts
I bought mine from out of town (PA) and they are not required to have Front plates there but in MD where I live we do. There are two really small dimples on the Q4 etron that show where the holes for the plate should go.

· Registered
14 Posts
I live in a state that requires a front license plate. I bit the bullet and had the dealer drill and mount the plate to the front grill. I've done the same with my previous Audis and had no issues with the result. The plastic plate backer that has been mounted to hold the plate on these looks relatively finished. Huge disappointment with Q4. Instead of the plate backer the license plate is mounted directly to the cheap plastic grill, which is actually a thin flexible covering over whatever's underneath. It looks trashy, is completely unstable, and is totally unacceptable on a car at this price level, but meets the requirement of the law. This car has been one small concession and/or disappointment over and over again. It's getting to be a bit much, and is starting to sour me to the brand, which I've enjoyed so much to this point.

· Registered
52 Posts
I live in a state that requires a front license plate. I bit the bullet and had the dealer drill and mount the plate to the front grill. I've done the same with my previous Audis and had no issues with the result. The plastic plate backer that has been mounted to hold the plate on these looks relatively finished. Huge disappointment with Q4. Instead of the plate backer the license plate is mounted directly to the cheap plastic grill, which is actually a thin flexible covering over whatever's underneath. It looks trashy, is completely unstable, and is totally unacceptable on a car at this price level, but meets the requirement of the law. This car has been one small concession and/or disappointment over and over again. It's getting to be a bit much, and is starting to sour me to the brand, which I've enjoyed so much to this point.
There are other cars where the front license plate is a complete afterthought. The EV6 is another example. I know because I have one and the way the plat mounts is flimsy at best. Alternatively, you can decide not to mount a license plate as in many states you can't be pulled over only for not having a front license plate -- you can still be cited, but as a secondary infraction, not the primary one. Up to you, of course.

Failing that, you can buy one of these (I did, they're great!).

· Registered
14 Posts
I just don't get what the thought process is at Audi, something like:
We'll give people a choice, they can either ignore the law and drive around with their fingers crossed hoping not to get cited, or they can mangle the grill with a half-baked solution that looks completely tacked on.

· Registered
52 Posts
I just don't get what the thought process is at Audi, something like:
We'll give people a choice, they can either ignore the law and drive around with their fingers crossed hoping not to get cited, or they can mangle the grill with a half-baked solution that looks completely tacked on.
I agree, it should be better. But we now live in a "function follows form" state of mind with these dumb car makers these days. Not just Audi, they're ALL bad at these basic things.

· Registered
14 Posts
I ordered one from Sly Brackets - they pre-vetted my photo of the Q4 grill. Have not had time to install it yet - but here is the link:
Store - SLY BRACKETS
I saw that, but my impression is that you're attaching what is effectively an air brake (the license plate) to a lever arm, which is then attached to a plastic piece (the vent slat) that was never intended to carry a load. So at 70 mph the plate is being jammed back into the front of the car by wind resistance and torquing the vent slats at the attachment point.

· Registered
12 Posts
Did someone find the dimples for drilling? I didn't see them.

I am not happy in general with the grill--what is with all that dead space behind it? It seems a huge waste of space. And now I have to drill and attach a license plate bracket. hmmph

1 - 20 of 56 Posts