Audi e-tron Forum banner

Front License Plate position for Q4

28K views 117 replies 34 participants last post by  pharding 
#1 ·
I received my Q4 last week and the dealership said that the front license plate should be drilled and installed directly on the front "grill". The dealership said they would do the install, I just need to bring them the license plate.

I think it is a terrible idea to drill into the grill...on a brand new car. Anyone else thinks the same? Did anyone install their front license plate anywhere else?

#48 ·
Yes, I used the middle slat for the mount, with a 1/2" spacer (as I recall). I've thought about the license placement obstructing the airflow, but I think there's a sufficient gap between the license plate and the slats that this should not be a problem. I've not seen anything that discourages placement of the Sly Bracket on an electric vehicle.

#50 · (Edited)
I mounted it on the middle slat to have it clear the lower lip, added my own washer to have it also slightly clear the bumper. The half-inch spacers created too much of a gap otherwise. I also ordered black frames with 1-inch bottom width to replace the dealer's. Here is an updated pic after I received a black frame that covered the bottom holes nicely and blended with the cooling grille.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

#51 ·
I mounted it on the middle slat to have it clear the lower lip, added my own washer to have it also slightly clear the bumper. The half-inch spacers created too much of a gap otherwise. I also ordered black frames with 1-inch bottom width to replace the dealer's. View attachment 8178
That is definitely the position I prefer with that mount!

#54 ·
E
Looking at the Sly brackets option. Thanks for the links.

Do we have to order custom brackets since we [have?] active grill shutters?
Since we have grill shutters does that mean air flow is more important somehow?
No, because we don't want to drill into the plastic "grille"
Strangely, I didn't find any grille shutters on my 2022 (and I even have those on my '23 Bolt EUV that's half the price).

#60 ·
This thread has been helpful - just ordered from SLY brackets. I was told the same at the dealership and hadn't had any issues until I drove into new york city. Parked the car on the street downtown while getting breakfast on a sunday morning. Came out to a parking ticket for $65.00 for not having a front license plate. Have driven it a handful of other times in the city but had parked in a garage previously. Just a word of warning to NYC area owners.

#66 ·
Hello All

I just got my 2023 Audi Q4 SUV and dealer mount my rear plate and handed me the front and said i really don't want to drill 2 holes on your new car

I looked at the SLY ( concerned about hitting a bump and cracking the front bars )
I also saw the post on using the tow bolt ( whice looks clumsy)

Wondering if anyone found a "best" solution to mounting the front plate as I live in a state that requires 2 plates
Thanks much

#72 ·
I installed the SLY bracket for mine and it has held up perfectly fine. It looks great, the position works really well and it's really not that heavy. Nothing that would make me think that it could possibly break the lower front grill bars. Especially since you mount right where there are the vertical posts, so there's more than enough reinforcement there.

If you went to a carwash with those spinning wash cloth things though, and one gets caught behind the license plate, then I don't know what would happen. But I always go touchless wash.