Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Looks amazing!

So I’m thinking of going all out and following your lead, Stealth PPF, powder coat wheels, black rings and badges, tint
and orange calipers (not red).

I have talked to two local wrap companies. They are the very interested. One is doing an etron right now. One wants to do an etron and has more reviews.
Well hopefully you aren't in Orange County as thats just about everything I have done except lowering lol. I think this combination is greatest bang for the buck as I am pretty much finished, may consider bigger wheels later but happy with the powdercoated OEM wheels

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well hopefully you aren't in Orange County as thats just about everything I have done except lowering lol. I think this combination is greatest bang for the buck as I am pretty much finished, may consider bigger wheels later but happy with the powdercoated OEM wheels
Not in Southern California. We will never run into each other. Trust me I’d be tempted to drive down to OC to have the same guys do my car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If referring to the car with the door jams, thats not my car so I have no idea
In order to wrap the doors, I believe they need to remove the mirrors. In order to remove the mirrors, they have to remove the door panels. If you don't notice anything, then it's a good sign

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
In order to wrap the doors, I believe they need to remove the mirrors. In order to remove the mirrors, they have to remove the door panels. If you don't notice anything, then it's a good sign
Just a heads-up, I had a lane change malfunction light on for a couple weeks so took the car into the dealership today. Took me a while as we recently had twins and hard to get out of the house to take care of personal stuff like this. Turns out the installer that did the wrap covered a few of the sensors by mistake. The dealership is going to give me more info tomorrow to let me know where they were covered and already talked to the wrap installer and they of course will cut out the wrap where the sensors are. Also they did remove the mirrors and door panels and the dealer ran a diagnostic check and had 8 error codes so they need to recalibrate the sensors. Because the mirrors were removed, this is NOT covered by the warranty but luckily they said it wont be too expensive.

So a heads-up to anyone doing a wrap, make sure to find out where the sensors are so they do not cover these and ask them not to remove the mirrors, or perhaps check with your dealership first which I should have done. Ill be getting more details tomorrow, a bit frustrated but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a heads-up, I had a lane change malfunction light on for a couple weeks so took the car into the dealership today. Took me a while as we recently had twins and hard to get out of the house to take care of personal stuff like this. Turns out the installer that did the wrap covered a few of the sensors by mistake. The dealership is going to give me more info tomorrow to let me know where they were covered and already talked to the wrap installer and they of course will cut out the wrap where the sensors are. Also they did remove the mirrors and door panels and the dealer ran a diagnostic check and had 8 error codes so they need to recalibrate the sensors. Because the mirrors were removed, this is NOT covered by the warranty but luckily they said it wont be too expensive.

So a heads-up to anyone doing a wrap, make sure to find out where the sensors are so they do not cover these and ask them not to remove the mirrors, or perhaps check with your dealership first which I should have done. Ill be getting more details tomorrow, a bit frustrated but not the end of the world.
Thank for sharing. I don’t think I’m going to do a full wrap. May still do some PPF in a few strategic spots.

Your car is awesome!

·
Registered
Have: GLA45 AMG -- Want: Q4 50 e-tron
27 Posts
@bmo2400 -- do you have any photos of the car finished?

the company I work for attends a lot of events and trade shows so we have had quite a few cars wrapped (or arrived wrapped from the NA headquarters loaning us cars). Wraps always look sooooooo good. If I had money to throw away I would totally get a matte wrap. Worth every penny looks-wise and protection-wise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@bmo2400 -- do you have any photos of the car finished?

the company I work for attends a lot of events and trade shows so we have had quite a few cars wrapped (or arrived wrapped from the NA headquarters loaning us cars). Wraps always look sooooooo good. If I had money to throw away I would totally get a matte wrap. Worth every penny looks-wise and protection-wise.
Here are a few, I also created a separate instagram page for my car where I post a decent amount, @btrongt

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So a warning to anyone getting their car wrapped, ask the installer to not remove the side mirrors if possible. I found out the hard way that if these are removed, the lane change and exit warning sensors malfunction and have to be recalibrated and not covered under the warranty (if mirrors are removed). This cost me around $1,000 which I thought about not doing but in the end decided to go ahead and get fixed. This was an expensive lesson learned as these cars have so much tech inside them. Also, dont cover the rear sensors, look like little buttons on the rear bumper. This can impact the parking sensors. Not as big a deal as the wrap installer said to just bring it back and they will cut out that section so won't cost me anything

·
Registered
199 Posts
So a warning to anyone getting their car wrapped, ask the installer to not remove the side mirrors if possible. I found out the hard way that if these are removed, the lane change and exit warning sensors malfunction and have to be recalibrated and not covered under the warranty (if mirrors are removed). This cost me around $1,000 which I thought about not doing but in the end decided to go ahead and get fixed. This was an expensive lesson learned as these cars have so much tech inside them. Also, dont cover the rear sensors, look like little buttons on the rear bumper. This can impact the parking sensors. Not as big a deal as the wrap installer said to just bring it back and they will cut out that section so won't cost me anything
That's why I asked about door panel removal for the side mirrors and door handles.
I don't know if there is a way to wrap the doors without visible cut lines showing around the mirrors.
In general I don't like any part of the car being taken apart

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be passing this on to my PPF installer!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
That's why I asked about door panel removal for the side mirrors and door handles.
I don't know if there is a way to wrap the doors without visible cut lines showing around the mirrors.
In general I don't like any part of the car being taken apart
Yea you were right to be concerned, whats strange is I have heard several GT owners who have done a PPF or Vinyl wrap and no one mentioned this specifically. Maybe the other installers have more experience with this and how to avoid this issue. This is the first car I have purchased since 2012 as I lived in San Francisco during that time and had no need for a car and still getting used to all this new tech as I didn't even consider this issue with the mirrors

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea you were right to be concerned, whats strange is I have heard several GT owners who have done a PPF or Vinyl wrap and no one mentioned this specifically. Maybe the other installers have more experience with this and how to avoid this issue. This is the first car I have purchased since 2012 as I lived in San Francisco during that time and had no need for a car and still getting used to all this new tech as I didn't even consider this issue with the mirrors
It's not just the tech, but process of removing a panel. A clip is loose, an extra screw etc.
In my youth I installed aftermarket speakers/stereo systems, so I saw all the potential issues, tech aside.

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
274 Posts
This is enormously helpful info. Thank you. I am a bit concerned about these limitations and being able to do a full Stealth wrap with the sort of cosmetic perfection we would all want around challenging locations like side mirrors. I can already hear my installer; “You’re going to see it.” Did full gloss and stealth wraps on previous cars, with zero problems, but they weren’t quite the rolling radar arrays like the GT.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
This is enormously helpful info. Thank you. I am a bit concerned about these limitations and being able to do a full Stealth wrap with the sort of cosmetic perfection we would all want around challenging locations like side mirrors. I can already hear my installer; “You’re going to see it.” Did full gloss and stealth wraps on previous cars, with zero problems, but they weren’t quite the rolling radar arrays like the GT.
Glad to be the guinea pig lol. Sounds like if you want the perfect wrap just prepare to pay for the recalibration and work that into the price. The first quote I got for the wrap was $4,000 more than the installer I ended up going with. From what the dealership told me, the installer didn't do anything wrong in the install, the simple fact of removing the mirrors is what caused this. Or maybe you can talk to your dealership beforehand and see if you can work something out. I am just surprised cause I was the not the first to do a wrap or PPF and hadn't seen anyone else mention this, maybe they just cut around the mirrors and didn't remove as they were aware of this issue?

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
274 Posts
Glad to be the guinea pig lol. Sounds like if you want the perfect wrap just prepare to pay for the recalibration and work that into the price. The first quote I got for the wrap was $4,000 more than the installer I ended up going with. From what the dealership told me, the installer didn't do anything wrong in the install, the simple fact of removing the mirrors is what caused this. Or maybe you can talk to your dealership beforehand and see if you can work something out. I am just surprised cause I was the not the first to do a wrap or PPF and hadn't seen anyone else mention this, maybe they just cut around the mirrors and didn't remove as they were aware of this issue?
More good advice; thanks. I have reached out to my sales guy and the service manager. Both good guys. They also know and recommend the shop where I am getting my wrap done. I suspect we will work something out. Forewarned is forearmed! @bmo2400, was your car at any time undriveable?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
More good advice; thanks. I have reached out to my sales guy and the service manager. Both good guys. They also know and recommend the shop where I am getting my wrap done. I suspect we will work something out. Forewarned is forearmed! @bmo2400, was your car at any time undriveable?
Never undriveable, had a light come on for "lane change and exit warning malfunction." Drove it for a few weeks before was able to take it in

41 - 60 of 81 Posts