Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had the E-tron S SUV for a couple of weeks now and bouncing between cars, I have been really feeling that the factory Bang of Olufsen sound is one of the worst factory car stereos I have had in any car for a really really long time.

I remember when buying the E-tron seeing B&O on the grill and being happy without really giving the factory stereo a listen since the last time I had B&O in a car was when it was the upgrade option on the BMW F10 M5. This system was arguably one of the best factory stereos I have ever heard and still is. It was also a $3,700 in 2015 and I understand I didn't pay that for the B&O system in the Audi. I figured if I got 20% of that system, I would be ok with it in the daily commuter.

The factory stereo sounds hallow / shallow to me with very little in the mid range or high to get excited about. Even Exodus by Bob Marley sounds just OK on this system.

So I went down to my local car stereo shop and on Friday 9/9 they are installing the Audison APK163 in the front only (their recommendation). All in only $1,200 which isn't terrible for a stereo upgrade so we shall see how it goes. Looking forward to reporting back once I hear it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a gt a few weeks ago and just can't get past how horrible the system is (audi system). Although I had b & o in my 21 raptor and it was...eh. Ok. Nothing to write home about. And certainly nothing you can crank up w out it distorting early on.

The best stock system I've ever had was in my 2010 m3 coupe. Nothing has been as good since. BMW has some of best systems that I've ever heard. Although the hk in an m5 is just ok. Nothing great but assuming the greater air space has a lot to do w it.

I, too, will be upgrading the system. Just need to find someone trustworthy.

good luck. hopefully it meets your need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The APK163 was not much of an improvement, at all imho. My installer recommended adding an Audison DSP+AMP which he could utilize to tune the new front speakers.

New total, roughly $3,500.

And while I did hear some improvement, it was not noticeable to the effect that I could recommend this to anyone else. Whether you think $3,500 is or isn't a lot of money, the "upgrade" in itself is so insignificant, I feel like there are plenty of other ways to use those funds.

There are sound system options for the Audi E-Tron that go way beyond the $3,500 price point that may do the trick, but I was not willing to visit those options especially with what I have already gambled and effectively lost.

As far as settings go, Surround definitely should be off.
3d Effect should also be off.
Since my front speakers are upgraded, I have the sound focus coming from the front.
Treble / Bass / Sub to your preference and music style, I think.

Another thing I have noticed, is Amazon Music seems to sound the worst as far as the streaming services go, even when the media is downloaded to your device via the app.
Spotify sounds the best.

There is zero improvement whether your device is plugged into a USB outlet or if playing media via Wireless CarPlay.

I guess my hope is there is improvement over time via software updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts