Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a beautiful white on white Prestige that I bought in January, and even with the issues I've encountered, I love it. Tesla actually brought a Model X to my house, but it was just too barren on the inside, so I traded range for fast charging and luxury. However, it took about about 7 months to get fast charging which included one very painful trip to Florida in which every charge was between 38 and 65kw. Painful and long. Anyway, yesterday I took my E-Tron to a different EA site and actually got my 3rd fast charge in a row for the first time ever, so I'm hoping that it may actually be fixed. There are still a few minor things that need to be corrected, and I'm sure they will be, and I really do love the car, and I really do love passing by gas stations. I don't think that I will keep this car though, the more I look at the GT, the more excited I get. Cheers to all on the forum and to my fellow owners.
ETron Side 2.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congratulations on your E tron! I have a friend who lives outside Annapolis and so have visited there several times. It's a beautiful area. My 2019 Prestige, bought in November 2019, is the same exterior color and wheels as yours. What interior finish did you get? My car also has had it's fair share of problems, but I assumed there would be issues, since it is the first model year for the car. I am continually blown away by the excellent fit and finish of the car. EA, I understand, has had a lot of issues in the East Coast. I admit I have only used an HVDC commercial charger once, so I can't address the reliability out here. Selection-wise, I am actually not a big fan of the SUV in general; however, I felt the E Tron Quattro 55 fit the bill for me to dip my toe into the EV market. This is actually the first time in my life that I leased a vehicle, thinking that the technology is moving so fast, that in 3 years or so there will be a much superior vehicle in a style that I generally prefer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your E tron! I have a friend who lives outside Annapolis and so have visited there several times. It's a beautiful area. My 2019 Prestige, bought in November 2019, is the same exterior color and wheels as yours. What interior finish did you get? My car also has had it's fair share of problems, but I assumed there would be issues, since it is the first model year for the car. I am continually blown away by the excellent fit and finish of the car. EA, I understand, has had a lot of issues in the East Coast. I admit I have only used an HVDC commercial charger once, so I can't address the reliability out here. Selection-wise, I am actually not a big fan of the SUV in general; however, I felt the E Tron Quattro 55 fit the bill for me to dip my toe into the EV market. This is actually the first time in my life that I leased a vehicle, thinking that the technology is moving so fast, that in 3 years or so there will be a much superior vehicle in a style that I generally prefer.
Thanks for the welcome. Happy to hear you enjoy the area and E-Tron. Like you, even with it's problems I love this car, and I agree that that EA chargers were most likely part of our charging issue, but when every charger only does 50kw or less, it's bound to be the car too. Anyway, after prodding by the much higher ups at Audi, my local Audi dealer finally got on board and bought into the idea the car was not working and started doing serious diagnostics. I think your also correct that there will be lots of better EVs in the coming years, and I really hope Audi is in the forefront. I love the interior, and after the way their front office fought for me against the dealership I'm sold on Audi. As far the interior finish, I got the white leather, it just looks great in this car. Have a great one and thanks for the note, and if you drive your E-Tron to the area, drop us a line.......Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Happy to hear you enjoy the area and E-Tron. Like you, even with it's problems I love this car, and I agree that that EA chargers were most likely part of our charging issue, but when every charger only does 50kw or less, it's bound to be the car too. Anyway, after prodding by the much higher ups at Audi, my local Audi dealer finally got on board and bought into the idea the car was not working and started doing serious diagnostics. I think your also correct that there will be lots of better EVs in the coming years, and I really hope Audi is in the forefront. I love the interior, and after the way their front office fought for me against the dealership I'm sold on Audi. As far the interior finish, I got the white leather, it just looks great in this car. Have a great one and thanks for the note, and if you drive your E-Tron to the area, drop us a line.......Cheers
E-Tron Front Seats.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, same interior as mine! I really like the way the light color brings out the highlights of the interior. It is a really nicely designed cabin. I looked at a dark interior and felt it just swallowed up everything. I recall my sales rep (who, by the way, also sold me the previous two Audi's I had owned) kept trying to steer me away from the black exteriors and interiors--"come on, man, WAY too Johnny Cash!" I think I have been really lucky with regards to my Dealer. Service advisors and "E tron technicians" have always been really responsive to my concerns. The dealership really seems to support the EV path.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was looking, I was looking for Model Xs and the Prestige, and I sorted both by the white interior, they both just look better, and I've never had an SUV before, and never had a white interior. As far as my dealer, I got a great deal, but I just don't think they understood how EVs worked and charged at the time, it was all new. They actually told me the car was fine and it was EA's fault because when more that one car charges it keeps the other car from charging at a faster rate (false) and that the charger may say 350kw but it may be built on top of a 50kw infrastructure, and therefore can only do 50kw. Just really lazy and mis-informed arguments. So I asked them why they didn't ask me how many other cars were charging at the EA stations (none, ever) and if they bothered to check with EA about state certifications. I call the state of Md about certifying and if it says 350kw, it has to deliver 350kw, and they do certify them just like gas stations, I assume all the other states I passed through on my trip to Florida are the same. Thats what I was dealing with, they're much different now........they're so nice to me, but I think they got allot of education from the top since my car had so many issue and they didn't want to help........Audi really wants EVs to work. Now if the GT comes in at a decent price, I'll probably get one, if not I'll just keep this, although I wish the range was just a bit better. Cheers.....Dave.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some of the EA problems you encountered may have been related to how the charging stations were originally installed. In general, you will find that some charging stations charge by the KWh and some charge by the TIME. In general if a charging station is set up to charge by the KWh, then it has to be certified as a Public Electrical Utility and follow all the legal policies. Many charging stations AVOIDED having to be certified as a Public Utility by instead charging by TIME. Those stations did not have to follow all the state utility rules. This game varied state to state so that might have been the source of some of your problem. EA is in the process of upgrading all of their stations to be certified (and will charge by KWh) and states are learning how to deal with EV charging stations. Still if you know the situation in MD, then you should be able to get full charging capability in MD!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of the EA problems you encountered may have been related to how the charging stations were originally installed. In general, you will find that some charging stations charge by the KWh and some charge by the TIME. In general if a charging station is set up to charge by the KWh, then it has to be certified as a Public Electrical Utility and follow all the legal policies. Many charging stations AVOIDED having to be certified as a Public Utility by instead charging by TIME. Those stations did not have to follow all the state utility rules. This game varied state to state so that might have been the source of some of your problem. EA is in the process of upgrading all of their stations to be certified (and will charge by KWh) and states are learning how to deal with EV charging stations. Still if you know the situation in MD, then you should be able to get full charging capability in MD!
I took a 2000 mile trip to Florida and back, I stopped at 8 stations and usually got about 50kw or less, never a fast charge. Twice I got close to 70 and I thought the EV gods were smiling on me. It usually took me about just less than 2 hours to charge my car. Fortunately I documented them all (the app does too, but it seems Audi loves pictures). So it had nothing to do with the chargers, it was all car. There are a few owners that have had this issue, and unfortunately my dealer was just lazy, and fortunately they put it in writing in txt to me. I spoke directly to the Maryland Utility Certifier back in April or May, they stated flat out that if it says 150kw, it's been tested to provide 150kw, period. When I told the dealer, they still blew me off and I had to get upper echelon Audi involved and I wouldn't go back until they (the local dealer) acknowledge that my car was broke. I'm not sure what EA's issues are, I usually charge with my jukebox at home, but in order to make sure my car has been repaired I do go to Columbia where I was un-unable to get a fast charge prior to my car being repaired, and since my car was repaired I've got two fast charges in a row. That's before EA replaced the chargers. I went to a mall this weekend just for a charge for another fast charge spot check, and it worked again, first time I've ever got 3 in a row, so I'm hopefully optimistic, but it was never the chargers, and Audi has even admitted it was the car and repaired it, which is fine, as long as it stays fixed. I've still got a few more issues, one which they don't seem to be able to fix, but we'll see where that one goes.......but I'm just happy that it fast charges......Cheers!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good to hear. Complaints about Audi service on the E Tron are pretty common. I feel I'm lucky that my dealer/service seems to have embraced an EV future. I know which Service Reps have bothered to really learn about the E Tron and the "E Tron Technicians" have been really responsive. I should go out and test my fast charging soon, I pretty much have been stuck local with COVID-19 and have exclusively used my level 2 charger at home. Maybe Audi is benefiting from COVID-19. If people were really out and about, they might be swamped!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really think part of the problem was that the dealer just wasn't educated about EVs, however their pathway to find a solution really showed poor skills, especially for a company that is committed to EVs. I believe you have free time at EA chargers with your purchase, so you should go test your fast charger if possible just to make sure that it works. The fast charging and the interior are the two main reasons I got this over the Model X.........even with the headache to get to this point, it this fixes it, I'll be glad I stayed with it......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts