Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Costco, we are now a member of the e-Tron tribe. So far loving it. We have a Model Y too and gotta say, i'm enjoying the Audi more so far... though I wish I could program it so the regen breaking is on all the time. A few other weird things I'm trying to figure out... like the auto hold doesn't seem to be working (rolls backwards down hills at stops).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Congratulations on your E-Tron! Are you sure your Hold Assist feature is activated? It is can be turned ON or OFF via the MMI. It can also be set up as a Short Cut on you Short Cut Screen to quickly access it. That is especially convenient if you use automatic carwashes--it should be turned off in those situations. If it is ON, make sure you FULLY push the brake all the way to engage the Mechanical Braking (the green regen bar should disapper at that point). If the Hold Assist is activated you should see a little icon circle in the lower portion of the Cockpit Display. If none of this is happening, contact your Dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your E-Tron! Are you sure your Hold Assist feature is activated? It is can be turned ON or OFF via the MMI. It can also be set up as a Short Cut on you Short Cut Screen to quickly access it. That is especially convenient if you use automatic carwashes--it should be turned off in those situations. If it is ON, make sure you FULLY push the brake all the way to engage the Mechanical Braking (the green regen bar should disapper at that point). If the Hold Assist is activated you should see a little icon circle in the lower portion of the Cockpit Display. If none of this is happening, contact your Dealer.
Thanks. The hold assist was on in the MME... but I will recheck that...

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
As as regen, just set it to automatic and it seems to be 99% on in my case. Mechanical brakes kick in very rarely (must brake really hard)

·
Registered
7 Posts
As as regen, just set it to automatic and it seems to be 99% on in my case. Mechanical brakes kick in very rarely (must brake really hard)
It sounds like you’ve never driven one footed like an i3 or Tesla. The e-tron is a coasting machine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never had Etron. Looking into it. Can you explain how does it’s coast. I understand there are paddle shifters which can reduce or increase regen.I have read somewhere but could not understand What is the technique where coasting increase mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you explain how does it’s coast.
Without a mechanical engine transmission when you’re not accelerating and the car is not regenerating it’s coasting. In an automatic ICE car when you take your foot off the accelerator the car will decelerate a little. It’s more like a manual transmission ICE car left in neutral.

The i3 and Tesla have aggressive regen that will basically stop the car without any brakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Without a mechanical engine transmission when you’re not accelerating and the car is not regenerating it’s coasting. In an automatic ICE car when you take your foot off the accelerator the car will decelerate a little. It’s more like a manual transmission ICE car left in neutral.

The i3 and Tesla have aggressive regen that will basically stop the car without any brakes.
I understand the regen by the car and one pedal drive . Which be is supposed to give more range. Coasting or highest regen ?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I understand the regen by the car and one pedal drive . Which be is supposed to give more range. Coasting or highest regen ?
Coasting is ALWAYS the most efficient way to travel. When using regen about 15% of the energy is lost to heat when you use regen to put it into the battery. You lose another 15% when you convert the electrical energy back into mechanical energy. So, overall, moving by using regen is 25 to 30% less efficient than Coasting.

The Tesla and Etron braking systems are vastly different. The Tesla's is easier to understand. You have an "accelerator" pedal (speeds you up as you push down) that is combined with regen (slows you down as you lift up) to give you One Pedal driving (which I really don't like) all wrapped up in one pedal. As you lift up off the accelerator aggressive regen slows the car. The regen is so aggressive that you can stop the car in many cases by just using that pedal. If you need a more intense braking, then you move to use the brake pedal, which is purely a mechanical brake. With One Pedal driving your right foot is always glued to the pedal.

In the Etron, you also have accelerator and brake pedals; however, regen is not confined solely to the Accelerator pedal--in fact, it is primarily in the Brake pedal. You can use the steering wheel paddles to shift a percentage of regen braking from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. (the left paddle INCREASES the setting; the right paddle DECREASES the setting.) The paddles have 3 settings--Coast, app 25% regen, app 50% regen. On the Coast setting, the accelerator is used ONLY for accelerating--if you lift you foot off the pedal the car will simply coast (and it can coast a REALLY long way). With the Coast setting, 100% braking happens using the brake pedal; HOWEVER, all the braking initially uses REGEN. As you press on the brake pedal the amount of regen is progressively increased until, if you need it, you finally engage the mechanical brake when you fully press down on the brake pedal.
At the 25% paddle setting, a portion of the regen is transferred to the Accelerator pedal, so that as you lift your foot up the car will slow slightly using regen. The sensation and effect is much like engine drag in an automatic ICE. At the 50% setting, the same holds true, but just a little more aggressively. If you need to brake more, just as in an ICE, you move your foot to the brake pedal, which, again, first applies more REGEN to slow you unless you fully engage to activate the mechanical brake. It is all very seamless and imperceptible to you.

Myself, I use the MMI to set my paddles for "Manual" use. That way the %regen is set to what I select using the paddles and does not change until I change it. I really like how this works. On open highways, I will use COAST. On city and neighborhood streets I will use 25 or 50% regen, as it gives me the control I need to speed up or slow down by using that "engine drag" feeling. Coasting downhill can be very dynamic in the Etron using the settings I like. I will often coast and then apply the paddle shifter as needed to slow me a bit, or back off the regen to speed me up. This is unlike the Tesla, where you may even need to press down on the Accelerator pedal to increase your speed going downhill, as you are fighting against aggressive regen--what a pain! (If you set the paddles for “Automatic” in the MMI, the car judges the best amount of regen to apply, but you can still use the paddles to override the car. HOWEVER, as soon as you touch either pedal, your paddle setting goes away and it reverts to the car’s application of regen.)

I can understand why fans of One Pedal Driving would like this option in the E tron. Myself, I think it would be dangerous to add it to the paddle options--you might accidentally set it to One Pedal and then aggressively grind to a stop in traffic. However, having a separate switch that let you choose between Coast/Regen and One Pedal would be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tah
Coasting is ALWAYS the most efficient way to travel. When using regen about 15% of the energy is lost to heat when you use regen to put it into the battery. You lose another 15% when you convert the electrical energy back into mechanical energy. So, overall, moving by using regen is 25 to 30% less efficient than Coasting.

The Tesla and Etron braking systems are vastly different. The Tesla's is easier to understand. You have an accelerator pedal (as you push down) that is combined with regen (as you lift up) to give you One Pedal driving (which I really don't like). As you lift up off the accelerator aggressive regen slows the car. The regen is so aggressive that you can stop the car in many cases by just using that pedal. If you need a more intense braking, then you move to use the brake pedal, which is purely a mechanical brake. With One Pedal driving your right foot is always glued to the pedal.

In the Etron, you also have accelerator and brake pedals; however, regen is not confined solely to the Accelerator pedal--in fact, it is primarily in the Brake pedal. You can use the steering wheel paddles to shift a percentage of regen braking from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. (the left paddle INCREASES the setting; the right paddle DECREASES the setting.) The paddles have 3 settings--Coast, app 25% regen, app 50% regen. On the Coast setting, the accelerator is used ONLY for accelerating--if you lift you foot off the peddle the car will simple coast (and it can coast a REALLY long way). With the Coast setting, 100% braking happens using the brake peddle; HOWEVER. all the braking is initially using REGEN. As you press on the brake peddle the amount of regen is progressively increased until, if you need it, you finally engage the mechanical brake when you fully press down on the brake peddle.
At the 25% paddle setting, a portion of the regen is transferred to the Accelerator pedal, so that as you lift your foot up the car will slow slightly using regen. The sensation and effect is much like engine drag in an automatic ICE. At the 50% setting, the same holds true, but just a little more aggressively. If you need to brake more, just as in an ICE, you move your foot to the brake pedal, which, again, first applies more REGEN to slow you unless you fully engage to activate the mechanical brake. It is all very seamless and imperceptible to you.

Myself, I use the MMI to set my paddles for "Manual" use. That way the %regen is set to what I select and does not change until I set it. I really like how this works. On open highways, I will use COAST. On city and neighborhood streets I will use 25 or 50% regen, as it gives me the control I need to speed up or slow down by using that "engine drag" feeling. Coasting downhill can be very dynamic in the Etron using the settings I like. I will often coast and then apply the paddle shifter as needed to slow me a bit, or back off the regen to speed me up. This is unlike the Tesla, where you may even need to press down on the Acclerator pedal to get you speed up going down hill--what a pain!

I can understand why fans of One Pedal Driving would like this option in the E tron. Myself, I think it would be dangerous to add it to the paddle options--you might accidentally set it to One Pedal and then aggressively grind to a stop in traffic. However, having a separate switch that let you choose between Coast/Regen and One Pedal would be fine.
thank you for such a detailed reply. Much appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now another problem. The sucker won’t charge. Just have a level 1 at home at the moment. Throwing a system error. I’m guessing a software update is necessary which is super annoying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The Tesla and Etron braking systems are vastly different. The Tesla's is easier to understand. You have an "accelerator" pedal (speeds you up as you push down) that is combined with regen (slows you down as you lift up) to give you One Pedal driving (which I really don't like) all wrapped up in one pedal. As you lift up off the accelerator aggressive regen slows the car. The regen is so aggressive that you can stop the car in many cases by just using that pedal. If you need a more intense braking, then you move to use the brake pedal, which is purely a mechanical brake. With One Pedal driving your right foot is always glued to the pedal.

In the Etron, you also have accelerator and brake pedals; however, regen is not confined solely to the Accelerator pedal--in fact, it is primarily in the Brake pedal. You can use the steering wheel paddles to shift a percentage of regen braking from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. (the left paddle INCREASES the setting; the right paddle DECREASES the setting.) The paddles have 3 settings--Coast, app 25% regen, app 50% regen. On the Coast setting, the accelerator is used ONLY for accelerating--if you lift you foot off the peddle the car will simply coast (and it can coast a REALLY long way). With the Coast setting, 100% braking happens using the brake peddle; HOWEVER. all the braking initially uses REGEN. As you press on the brake pedal the amount of regen is progressively increased until, if you need it, you finally engage the mechanical brake when you fully press down on the brake pedal.

Myself, I use the MMI to set my paddles for "Manual" use. That way the %regen is set to what I select using the paddles and does not change until I change it. I really like how this works. On open highways, I will use COAST. On city and neighborhood streets I will use 25 or 50% regen, as it gives me the control I need to speed up or slow down by using that "engine drag" feeling. Coasting downhill can be very dynamic in the Etron using the settings I like. I will often coast and then apply the paddle shifter as needed to slow me a bit, or back off the regen to speed me up. This is unlike the Tesla, where you may even need to press down on the Accelerator pedal to increase your speed going down hill,as you are fighting against aggressive regen--what a pain!

This is super helpful. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Now another problem. The sucker won’t charge. Just have a level 1 at home at the moment. Throwing a system error. I’m guessing a software update is necessary which is super annoying. View attachment 1459

Are you using the Audi Charger brick for your Level 1? If so, make sure the brick is set to deliver 100% of charge. The charger gives you the option to deliver either 100% or 50%. If it is set to 50% the voltage for Level 1 presented to the car will be too low to activate the charging. When I ran into this problem in Dec 2019, it kept telling me it was waiting on a timer. I think they have changed the brick designs. With my 2019 brick the ON/OFF button was a multi-function button. Quick presses turned it on and off; long press-and-hold presses would switch the brick between 50 and 100%. That may be different with your brick. If you still have problems, try another outlet. EV chargers in general can be pretty finicky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you using the Audi Charger brick for your Level 1? If so, make sure the brick is set to deliver 100% of charge. The charger gives you the option to deliver either 100% or 50%. If it is set to 50% the voltage for Level 1 presented to the car will be too low to activate the charging. When I ran into this problem in Dec 2019, it kept telling me it was waiting on a timer. I think they have changed the brick designs. With my 2019 brick the ON/OFF button was a multi-function button. Quick presses turned it on and off; long press-and-hold presses would switch the brick between 50 and 100%. That may be different with your brick. If you still have problems, try another outlet. EV chargers in general can be pretty finicky.
That did it! Had no idea about the 50 vs 100 setting. Thank you!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Myself, I use the MMI to set my paddles for "Manual" use. That way the %regen is set to what I select using the paddles and does not change until I change it. I really like how this works. On open highways, I will use COAST. On city and neighborhood streets I will use 25 or 50% regen, as it gives me the control I need to speed up or slow down by using that "engine drag" feeling.
Just wanted to add to @JNealCox 's excellent comments, which I totally agree with as I drive my etron 50 in exactly the same way...the speed limiter is really handy for managing speed on descents. It maintains the set speed by automatically applying the regen very slightly. Sometimes the paddles can be too intrusive on ride comfort whereas the speed limiter applies much finer regen braking forces.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
Rolling in the opposite direction of the selected gear is the worst part of the drivetrain software. I’ve been driving the car with care for 6 months and still almost rolled into a car in a tight lot this week.

Remember to engage the parking brake in situations where you need to maneuver on hills or inclines. You can “drive out” of the parking brake without having to manually disengage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts