Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are so loving our new 2019 E-Tron! Our initial problem was using the provided charger and getting it to keep charging using our ordinary outlet in our garage...I thought we might have a "dud". First, since we currently had 55% capacity we had to set the intended battery level over that (to 80%) in the car, and to 100% on the home charger. I thought that was going to work, but no! We finally realized that the "convenience" key was unlocking the car, thus repeatedly terminating the charging function as we edged out of the garage. If you have a tight fitting parking space in your garage - leave your key outside!

·
Registered
360 Posts
LOL - can you press the lock button on the key from outside the garage? or does the convenience key not have buttons? (just asking as I have ordered the comfort and sound package, that includes the "advanced key" as its called here).

Out of interest, does it have a feature on it that will lock the doors automatically if you have closed them and walked away for more than x minutes..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I "think" it locks when we walk away. There was alot of mild clink and clunk noise going on when I was in the garage with keys in my pocket. Oddly, when I left the garage and used the Lock function on the key fob, the car charged started charging again for about one minute then quit (per the MyAudi app). I know we'll get the hang of it, but it has been a comedy of errors - funny only because I have a pick-up truck on standby for emergencies!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you have the charging point on both sides of the car (like we do here in the UK), is it worth trying the other side, in case there is a fault?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charging port is driver's side only. I saw the reviews showing ports on both sides, but I did not see that on any vehicles available in our area.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the E-Tron!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Greetings from Portland, OR!
I'm a little unclear on your problem, but it sounds like you are trying to use the Audi charger to do a Level 1 charge? I had to do that for a week with my car before my 240V outlet was installed. I also had problems. What I found was that when I would set things up and plug in the car the Charger unit would would set to "50%" and the car would tell me it was waiting for a timer (rapid flashing green light at the port). I found I had to press and hold the power switch on the charger box until it switched from 50% to 100%. Then the car would charge (slow pulsing green light). The Power button is really a two-function button--on/off and 50/100%. (The presented voltage at 50%/120V is too low to charge the car and fools the car into thinking there is an active timer.) I don't know if that is relevant to your problem, but it was very annoying for me!

Locking or unlocking the car by itself should not stop the charging. I pretty much always charge my car while it is unlocked, and have locked and unlocked it while charging without interruption. When you insert the charging head into the receptacle, a locking pin in the charging port inserts into the charging head to hold it in place. While the car is charging, if you press the little black button by the charging port (the same one that opens and closes the port), the charging stops (while light comes on) and the pin retracts, so that you can remove the head. Locking the car door deactivates the black button so that the charging head cannot be disconnected (pin stays inserted)--or the charging status be changed--until you unlock the car (eg, so that at a public station someone cannot remove your cable if you are not there). So, you do have to have the car unlocked before you can remove the charging head, but just locking/unlocking the car will not stop the charging. Only pressing the black button will do that. You might want to check to see if the charging box is set to 100%; if not, press and hold the power button until it switches to 100%

...and congratulations on your car!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Oh, regarding the "clunking", you will find that happens all the time. The dealer told me that relays are constantly switching as the car slowly goes to sleep or wakes up. Just like most cars today, it takes a LONG time for the car to actually turn off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We've only attempted L1 charging so far. All good information, thank you. For awhile, and before we have full confidence, we will have to pay careful attention to the locked/unlocked relationship to charging! But we have changed our description of this purchase - we didn't buy a car, we bought a gorgeous computer - on wheels.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That's a fair assessment. I traded a 2007 Audi for my Etron. All the new safety features alone are overwhelming, much less all the flexibility in setting driving styles, infotainment, etc. Also, I've come to appreciate that with an EV, ASSUME NOTHING. EV's are their own beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts