Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally picked up my car (S-line 40) last Friday after a 15mo+ wait. Apart from the Audi nonsense I'm pretty happy with the car so far (despite wanting to change the colour half-way through, I do really like it in the flesh).

Last couple of days we've had temps of -3-4 and a bit of ice/snow. I'm just wondering how people find the handling in these conditions? I was finding that the car wanted to slide out quite a bit, even on shallow bends? Wasn't driving any other way from usual in those conditions (wife's car Nissan Qashqai, my old car Vauxhall Astra GTC).

This is my first EV so could be just getting used to the sensitivity of the throttle/power delivery, but keen to know others' experiences.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
180 Posts
I'm amazed it didn't slide out of the showroom.

Looks great. Yeah - the combo of the all weather tyres, weight and rear torque does make it slippery in these conditions. It feels pretty planted to me the rest of the time though.

· Registered
102 Posts
I've just realised its RWD - that explains a lot!
You really bought a RWD car without realizing in advance it was RWD? Sorry, but that made me chuckle a little bit.

Even the AWD with the All-Season tires wasn’t that good in the first snow-fall of the year in Canada. But you know, I’ve got to deal with 5-6 months of the snow… so Winter tires were a must!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really bought a RWD car without realizing in advance it was RWD? Sorry, but that made me chuckle a little bit.

Even the AWD with the All-Season tires wasn’t that good in the first snow-fall of the year in Canada. But you know, I’ve got to deal with 5-6 months of the snow… so Winter tires were a must!
I think I did, I should probably have said "remembered". It just wasn't the first thing that came to me as I'm still absorbed in the novelty of an EV I guess and trying to pin the difference on that.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,622 Posts
Depends on wheel size - on large eTron for winter I go down from 21" to 19" but that is pretty much the limit. I would assume similar downscale would fit, but you would have to check the inner size of the rim.

· Registered
57 Posts
Depends on wheel size - on large eTron for winter I go down from 21" to 19" but that is pretty much the limit. I would assume similar downscale would fit, but you would have to check the inner size of the rim.
We've been talking about the Q4. You said you switched to wheel size 2" down to get more rubber -- what size wheel did you go with then? Because the Q4 can come with either 19" or 20" wheels from the factory, which equates to 17" or 18". I think 17" won't fit, but wanted to confirm.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,622 Posts
I have larger eTron, I was only pointing that for winter you want more tire size (side-wall) and going down in wheel size is the standard way to handle that.
For fitting purposes, the easiest way would be to stop by your preferred tire / wheel place and let them do measurements. For me they were able to find a working wheel set even though a lot of 19" wheels do not work with larger eTron.
For Q4, I would go with 19" for winter for sure. 17" will likely be too small (3 sizes down), but a quick search does not show any matching 18" wheels. I suspect these might be a custom order. Not sure what tires are cheaper / easier to find. I know 19" ones are pretty common, so perhaps that is the simpler way to go.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,622 Posts
Add on: 2022 Audi Q4 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs. Seems like 19" is the smallest you get OEM, but feel free to look into yourself. This is the website I used to decide on tire sizing for my eTron as well. It is pretty handy.
Also, there seems to be enough clearance to go to 18" but it would require custom fitment of the rim and tire.

· Registered
200 Posts
18 in
Add on: 2022 Audi Q4 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs. Seems like 19" is the smallest you get OEM, but feel free to look into yourself.
That's correct since Audi is a Premium brand. However, in the EU, the entry-level ID.4 comes with 18 in. wheels. Since Q4 & ID.4 shared a common MEB platform, the 18" wheel should fit w/o any issues as shown by IDTalk member @camaroz1985

A square setup Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 235/60R18 winter tires on VW Atlas 18" Prisma OE winter wheels
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Picture by camaroz1985

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,622 Posts
The calculator shows plenty of space with 19" wheels, hence my comment on 18". I suspect one could fit even 17" on these and get away with it, but the fitting would be likely tight. Plenty of good tire shops out there can do custom fitting, though. I am happy with 2 sizes down on my eTron for winter - more rubber helps with snow and ice for sure and road noise is not a big issue for me - safety first.

· Registered
49 Posts
I'm amazed it didn't slide out of the showroom.

Looks great. Yeah - the combo of the all weather tyres, weight and rear torque does make it slippery in these conditions. It feels pretty planted to me the rest of the time though.
Had an unpleasant experience the other night slight incline bend with a layer of compacted light snow and the back end just went. Wasn't going fast, luckily no cars parked near by, only managed to get going by not touching the accelerator and letting creep to get some momentum.

· Registered
99 Posts
Had an unpleasant experience the other night slight incline bend with a layer of compacted light snow and the back end just went. Wasn't going fast, luckily no cars parked near by, only managed to get going by not touching the accelerator and letting creep to get some momentum.
Yep, the standard factory tyres are rubbish in snow/ice. Doesn't matter if you have 4wd or not, it's the tyres that are important. That's why people who have no idea slide about in range rovers! I have always sworn by Michelin crossclimates, good enough for year round use and never let me down in the snow.

Unfortunately my Etron is a company lease so I can't choose the tyres. When it's icy I leave it home and take my old MPV with crossclimates fitted! I can just drive around stuck 4x4s with factory tyres!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts