Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally one of the first changes I make to my vehicle is the tires. OEM tires are typically a compromise of comfort, noise and ride comfort. On my first KIA Optima Hybrid, it was smooth and quiet on the OEM tires, then we got some snow/ice and that’s when I realized they were crap. I wanted to maintain the economy but then an emergency situation occurred on the road and the scared me with the lack of grip. After some research, I installed a set of Pirelli P7 All Season Plus and it transformed the car into a better handling vehicle. They were also quieter and I gained 3 mpgs on my normal 30 mile commute, well worth the upgrade.

I looked (Tire Rack) up the Goodyear tires on the car and they aren’t well rated for their class. They ride comfortable and seem to fairly quiet. I haven’t had any emergency maneuvers, hard stops or pushed them hard to see their limits in cornering, but I am curious to hear from others that have been using them. What has been your experience with the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season? Has anyone tried a different tire? I’ve driven the XC90 with the Pirelli Scorpion tires, I know Pirelli, Michelin and the rest have an eco version of CUV/SUV tires. Wondering if one of those will be better for the e-tron.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
From my experience with EVs, the manufacturers have spared no expense on the tires.

What rates better than the Goodyear Eagle Sport that’s on the standard 20” wheel?

I can’t comment on noise without a comparison, but it seems to be a well rounded tire.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Be aware that tires designed for EV's are different than those for regular cars. Because EV's are so quiet (no ICE noise) EV tires contain a foam liner for noise dampening. EV's are also considerably heavier than comparably sized ICE's, meaning different load requirements. Finally, EV's have "instant torque" that changes the requirements for tread patterns and material to minimize wear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not certain about EV specific tires however, there are a number of ECO branded versions that offer low rolling resistance to aid with mileage. Vehicle manufacturers design their wheels and engineer the vehicle to be quieter, while choosing a tire from companies they have an agreement with. The chosen tire might also be based on cost, which means it isn’t the best on the market. Most car enthusiasts swap out parts for better performance in an area they feel a vehicle is lacking. Typically, I go for better grip over mileage, based on how I drive. My current Optima Hybrid has UHPAS (Ultra High Performance All Season) tires on it, instead of GT (Grand Touring) that’s recommended for it. Why, it has a sport mode and when activated and you accelerate, it can spin the tires in the wet and sometimes on dry road depending on how deep into the throttle you go. That was resolved by upgrading the tires, which also made it perform better but dropped the overall mileage a bit.

The Pirelli P7 I mentioned, comes in All Season and AS+. I had not on different vehicles and they certainly were different. The AS on the Volvo S60 was noisier and a firmer riding tire, the AS+ was a GT tire with ECO properties. That compound made it better in the winter as well however, the wet performance could be better. All tires are a compromise, none truly provides the best in all cases, it’s all up to us to decide what area is better. I figure some of us will probably have another CUV/SUV with another brand we can give some opinion on. Here are some I have been looking at so far:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is any foam, I think that is from the car manufacturer and not from the tire company. I haven't seen any EV specific tire on sale, just ECO branded tires for EVs and Hybrid use, which can also be used on regular vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
hm ... e-tron flat tire how-not-to ... [Volume I] speaks of foam inside of the tire (injection foam)

There are also references online to "The technology consists of an integrated open-cell polyurethane foam element applied to the inner surface of the tyre, reducing the tyre air cavity resonance produced by air vibration, and contributing to the reduction in cabin noise without compromising driving performance and dynamics of the tyre. "

... but it seems to depend on what tires (manufacturer and model) you have. Yay for consistency here, Audi !

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can go to Goodyear and other sites regarding the technology being developed for EV tires. The tire manufacturers are indeed making tires with the foam inner lining to deaden road noise. Flat repair requires a few extra steps, such as cutting out the foam in the affected area, performing the repair, and re-injecting foam into the repaired section. Sure, you can use these tires on any car you want, but you are needlessly spending on technology that cannot benefit noisy ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It's also important to remember NOT to use the "flat fixer foam". I'm assuming that is why the can is missing from my tire repair stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Yeah sounds like getting these tires fixed would be a pain in the royal neck. Not sure how well the tire shops are prepared for this. I don't fancy the idea of using Audi shop for a tire repair.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I recall reading a thread on here a few months ago from a guy who had a flat. He called Audi service, but the towing guy had no clue about where anything was. They end up taking the car in the get the tire repaired and the foam lining had the crew completely stumped!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Yeah my local shops i called to get information were equally unable to say anything intelligent about repair for such tires. Come in and we'll fix it they said. I have zero confidence they would it right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a puncture in my 21" Continental CrossContact LX Sport ones (2021 Prestige with sport pack) and had a look at the tire once they took it off the rim at the tire center here. No foam inside!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, not all the tires EV's can use have the liner. I also have the 21" CrossContact, which is listed as having no liner, while my 19" ContiWinterContact winter tire does. The 21" 's are a little noisier, I assume because of the wider rim and the lack of liner.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
39 Posts
Just an example of what the liners look like for those that haven’t seen them. It’s a medium density foam about 25mm thick or about 1” inch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for this! I thought it would be thicker and white as seen in other vehicle. The side walls on these looks like it a lower profile tire, maybe a 21” tire? This would would make sense. I’m curious about upcoming tires for EV for better range and less noise, let’s not forget the other performance aspects, those would also need to be improved for these heavier vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts