Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Audi e-Tron owners,
I have been driving plug-in hybrids and EVs for a few years - both BMW and Nissan.
I looked into the Audi e-tron in 2019 and loved the design and the ride, but I was put off by the many reported reliability issues (leaky A pillars, random faults, rear light bar failures, phone app not connecting to the car, etc).
In your experience, has Audi successfully fixed these issues with the 2021 model?
Thank you in advance for your insights!
Nicolas

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
No issues with 2019 model either ... not sure what these "reported reliability issues " are/were

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Dear Audi e-Tron owners,
I have been driving plug-in hybrids and EVs for a few years - both BMW and Nissan.
I looked into the Audi e-tron in 2019 and loved the design and the ride, but I was put off by the many reported reliability issues (leaky A pillars, random faults, rear light bar failures, phone app not connecting to the car, etc).
In your experience, has Audi successfully fixed these issues with the 2021 model?
Nicolas
Some of the early builds may have had leaky moonroofs, but it's more the exception than the rule. The rear tail bar malfunction was replaced with a redesigned component for all affected models.

As with any all new models, there were some growing pains, but most of the 'issues' are small things that don't affect the overall performance and enjoyment of the eTron IMO. I have 2 2019 Oct 19 builds (technically in a normal year, they would have been 2020 MY). No reliability issues.

2021 has increased range from SW/HW updates and faster MMI with VZW as the new service provider. I would not have any hesitation- unless you drive long distances regularly.

Add in Costco Auto incentives and the current month's Audi lease incentives, IMO, this would be a good time to pick one up before the inventory shortage starts (semi-conductors) and prices rise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the early builds may have had leaky moonroofs, but it's more the exception than the rule. The rear tail bar malfunction was replaced with a redesigned component for all affected models.

As with any all new models, there were some growing pains, but most of the 'issues' are small things that don't affect the overall performance and enjoyment of the eTron IMO. I have 2 2019 Oct 19 builds (technically in a normal year, they would have been 2020 MY). No reliability issues.

2021 has increased range from SW/HW updates and faster MMI with VZW as the new service provider. I would not have any hesitation- unless you drive long distances regularly.

Add in Costco Auto incentives and the current month's Audi lease incentives, IMO, this would be a good time to pick one up before the inventory shortage starts (semi-conductors) and prices rise.
Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Note also that most (if not all) older model year units have been fixed to date so none of the originally reported issues should be a trouble anymore.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
80 Posts
Dear Audi e-Tron owners,
Nicolas
I owned a 2019 for exactly one year and had several issues with it, to the point that I received a 15% trade credit towards the new purchase of my current 2021. I’ve owned the 2021 for 4 months, with it being in the shop for over a month now to get the antenna, 5f module and rear hatch latch cable replaced. I am still waiting on the dealership to receive the final part to finish the repair. Because of my previous situation, AoA has been actively overseeing the status of repairs and I hear from them at least weekly. I really enjoy the e-tron when I have it. It is truly an excellent EV, which is why I chose the “good faith route” to try again with a 2021. No doubt not having my car for over a month now has had me questioning whether I made the right decision.

There are some notable design changes though from 2019 to 2021. The positioning of the front laser “ACC” sensor has been moved from the lower front fascia. This was replaced on my 2019. I had issues after the replacement, which led to not having a known fix, which then led to me getting a 2021. Alexa is gone in the 2021. Internet is provided by Verizon instead of ATT in the 2021. The range increased and its noticeable in the 2021. The MMI is more responsive in the 2021. There are L2 charge ports on both sides (Premium + and Prestige) in the 2021. The trailer hitch receiver is wide enough to be usable now with standard components in the 2021. The 2019 hitch receiver barely worked with a hitch and didn’t work with any other accessories. The 2021 doesn’t have rear seat floor mat placement hooks like it did in the 2019. The 2021 has USB C connections over USB A in the 2019. I believe these are all of the differences I’ve come across so far.

In addition to the front laser sensor issues, the rear light bar was replaced twice in the 2019 (error: license light plate inop), the SOS fault, Emergency Call fault, ACC fault, a failed driver window regulator, and the MMI randomly reset to defaults were also issues I encountered.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I owned a 2019 for exactly one year and had several issues with it, to the point that I received a 15% trade credit towards the new purchase of my current 2021. I’ve owned the 2021 for 4 months, with it being in the shop for over a month now to get the antenna, 5f module and rear hatch latch cable replaced. I am still waiting on the dealership to receive the final part to finish the repair. Because of my previous situation, AoA has been actively overseeing the status of repairs and I hear from them at least weekly. I really enjoy the e-tron when I have it. It is truly an excellent EV, which is why I chose the “good faith route” to try again with a 2021. No doubt not having my car for over a month now has had me questioning whether I made the right decision.

There are some notable design changes though from 2019 to 2021. The positioning of the front laser “ACC” sensor has been moved from the lower front fascia. This was replaced on my 2019. I had issues after the replacement, which led to not having a known fix, which then led to me getting a 2021. Alexa is gone in the 2021. Internet is provided by Verizon instead of ATT in the 2021. The range increased and its noticeable in the 2021. The MMI is more responsive in the 2021. There are L2 charge ports on both sides (Premium + and Prestige) in the 2021. The trailer hitch receiver is wide enough to be usable now with standard components in the 2021. The 2019 hitch receiver barely worked with a hitch and didn’t work with any other accessories. The 2021 doesn’t have rear seat floor mat placement hooks like it did in the 2019. The 2021 has USB C connections over USB A in the 2019. I believe these are all of the differences I’ve come across so far.

In addition to the front laser sensor issues, the rear light bar was replaced twice in the 2019 (error: license light plate inop), the SOS fault, Emergency Call fault, ACC fault, a failed driver window regulator, and the MMI randomly reset to defaults were also issues I encountered.
2019 also required the brakes to be replaced.

Reactions: polyphonic

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
I’ve had a ton of issues with my 2019, many of which have gone unfixed. They just don’t take responsibility for software problems. Lately my backup camera has been going black more often.

My door seals are coming off and they just shrug. The door seal problem happened with our Tesla and they replaced them fully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a 2019 Etron for about 9 months. The first few months were very frustrating. the rear brake light assemblies had moisture in them and had to be replaced. the charging system had to be repaired twice. Plus a couple of dealer specific issues. I didn't trust going any distance in the car for awhile. it now works well. handles well, accelerates wonderfully, very comfortable. I hope future etrons and electric Audis are better built.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only had 2021 for 15 days and took some time to get Connect Prime (only keeping during trial period) working correctly but no issues so far -🤞. Tried Electrify America just for the experience and it let me unplug with no issues.

One question I do have for you all: Is it really necessary to tap my name in MMI entering vehicle? I'm the only user - seems like it should just default to me without having to confirm. So far that's the only nuisance.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I do not tap anything but I am the key user as well, so it figures out who I am based on the phone match

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Only had 2021 for 15 days and took some time to get Connect Prime (only keeping during trial period) working correctly but no issues so far -🤞. Tried Electrify America just for the experience and it let me unplug with no issues.

One question I do have for you all: Is it really necessary to tap my name in MMI entering vehicle? I'm the only user - seems like it should just default to me without having to confirm. So far that's the only nuisance.
No. Have you set yourself up a Profile? Is that what you mean by tapping your name? If you have and you have linked that profile to the key fob you are using, then when you get into the car that Profile should show up as the "selected" one in the list of Users. You can click on it if you want, but you can also just start up the car--the vehicle will default to it on its own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well that's the daymnest! After mmmzon's reply went to car, phone in hand which it usually is and did NOT have to tap my name. This really the first time that's ever happened. Will continue to monitor.

Thx for the replies!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I concur, with two 2019 e-trons purchased in JAN 2020 (August 2019 builds?) No issues. Very comfortable, discreet EVs, with excellent interiors. Some issues with Electrify America chargers, that would preclude planning a long distance drive.... gotta keep an Escalade or two for the road trips! Or, maybe just a Holland America ship.... (Not the Evergreen Ever Given!)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I concur, with two 2019 e-trons purchased in JAN 2020 (August 2019 builds?) No issues. Very comfortable, discreet EVs, with excellent interiors. Some issues with Electrify America chargers, that would preclude planning a long distance drive.... gotta keep an Escalade or two for the road trips! Or, maybe just a Holland America ship.... (Not the Evergreen Ever Given!)
Are the 2021s OK with Electrify America?

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
39 Posts
Judging from the e-tron warranties I have processed, the e-tron has been quite reliable except for the very early 2019 models that came out as someone alluded to earlier. Most of my e-tron warranty processing now consists of mostly the already known recalls and some issues with the MMI and phones which many times is user error. The 2021 is about as trouble free as any car that's out on the market right now, as most of the initial problems have been ironed out, have been fixed by TSBs, and or Recalls. I remember for a while, all I was processing was the rear center tail light flickering issue. I don't really see that anymore.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are the 2021s OK with Electrify America?
I haven’t had any issues with my 2021 Etron on the EA network. The issues I have experienced were with faulty EA chargers that needed to be restarted or repaired. I did find the 24/7 support team to be extremely responsive on my longest journey of over 2500+ round trip miles. Biggest recommendation is, call them as soon as you experience an issue.

Reactions: Lucken

·
Registered
80 Posts
Judging from the e-tron warranties I have processed, the e-tron has been quite reliable except for the very early 2019 models that came out as someone alluded to earlier. Most of my e-tron warranty processing now consists of mostly the already known recalls and some issues with the MMI and phones which many times is user error. The 2021 is about as trouble free as any car that's out on the market right now, as most of the initial problems have been ironed out, have been fixed by TSBs, and or Recalls. I remember for a while, all I was processing was the rear center tail light flickering issue. I don't really see that anymore.
Well... I’ve been without my 2021 Etron for 6 weeks now due to a faulty 5f module, antenna and rear hatch latch cable...

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
39 Posts
"Well... I’ve been without my 2021 Etron for 6 weeks now due to a faulty 5f module, antenna and rear hatch latch cable..."

Are you you talking about the J794 information electronics control module? 005F is just an address word.

To be fair to the e-tron, that module has been plaguing Audi owners for a while now and it is not exclusive to the e-tron.
I still stand by my last comment and as I said, those issues are still being fixed by TSBs and Recalls.
But I'm sure as we all know, no car is prefect. I am sorry you have been affected by this.
If the Control module is coming from Germany, I can see that it would take a while, maybe not six weeks though.
The only things I see take a while is replacing a cell module inside the battery. Those take a while to receive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"Well... I’ve been without my 2021 Etron for 6 weeks now due to a faulty 5f module, antenna and rear hatch latch cable..."

Are you you talking about the J794 information electronics control module? 005F is just an address word.

To be fair to the e-tron, that module has been plaguing Audi owners for a while now and it is not exclusive to the e-tron.
I still stand by my last comment and as I said, those issues are still being fixed by TSBs and Recalls.
But I'm sure as we all know, no car is prefect. I am sorry you have been affected by this.
If the Control module is coming from Germany, I can see that it would take a while, maybe not six weeks though.
The only things I see take a while is replacing a cell module inside the battery. Those take a while to receive.
Probably the J794. AoA and the dealership have been referring to it as the “5f” module. Honestly my experience owning the 2019 and now a 2021 Etron is very reminiscent of my Tesla ownership. However, I was never without my Model S for over 6 weeks. This is unsatisfactory. The dealership has literally had my Etron for 1/3 of the time that I have owned it. Where I really enjoy the Etron and believe it to be a nearly perfect EV... I’d really like to be driving mine. 😀

1 - 20 of 25 Posts