Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from the happy owner of a Navarra blue e-tron 50 S Line

We've had the car just over a week now and are pretty satisfied. I've done one long journey in it and was pleased with how (generally) easy it has been to charge on the road - nothing to be scared of!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Nice to hear some positive charging experiences. Post some pics if you can and congrats!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures you say? OK, you asked for it...

Charging on the 'Budgens Darsham' (Zap Map) charger - just to see what rapid charging was like, really.

I took this one to show a friend how the available recuperation is very low at 100%. As you drive, it gets bigger. But what I actually really like is something I noticed later... ICE cars show a little arrow next the the pump icon on the fuel gauge to remind drivers which side the fossil nozzle goes into. So EV cars should be no different and trons, therefore, must have arrows on both sides of their 'pump' icon. Ferocious attention to detail.
100%.jpg

Charging at 'Starbucks Topcliffe A168' near Thirsk... A little out of the way for running down the A1 but I like this stop because it puts you in reach of the Peterborough chargers, you've got to fancy your chances of getting a good reliable charge at an Instavolt facility and there's a nice coffee shop.
Instavolt.jpg

This is at the Thirsk charger watching the range bubble creep out to my next stop at Peterborough
Bubble 2.jpg

Charging at one of the Ionity Beasts at Peterborough. These claim to be 350kW chargers and who can say otherwise being as the only cars that can come close to this are some long range Teslas and certain models of the Taycan. (There's a very pricey Lotus in the works that may be able to take 800kW.) I work at a big electricity factory and I typically adjust output in lumps of 500kW. This suggests to me that EVs are going to be quite significant in this country's electricity use - and this is a good thing.
Ionity Beast.jpg

Ionity Beast: Barely enough time for a toilet break and some fast food...
Beast 2.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, I’m strongly considering the s line 50 as my next company car. I can’t get the 55. I’ll have a few longer motorway based trips each month to do, circa 200 miles each. Realise I won’t get anywhere near 200 miles but what sort of range are you achieving?

Those wheels look great but a little concerned they may cost me range!

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Range on the motorway? It's difficult to say; I've only done two long-distance trips - one up north then one back - about 350 miles each way.
The car recognises you're doing motorway driving (when you are doing it) and declares a shorter range than it would when driving around the doors. I guess this is because recuperation is out of the picture. It also takes into account anticipated aircon use - this does make a difference.
If you are doing 200 miles, you're going to have to charge once, so far so simple. So, if you're leaving from home in the morning you can choose whether to accept the default, nice-to-battery, charge of 80% or instruct the car to go to 100% (although on a 7kW home charger, 100% shouldn't 'harm' the battery very much at all). Then assume a range of, say, 130 at 80% or 150 miles at 100% before you will want to charge, giving a reasonable margin to get to other chargers if there are problems (but, if you are only going 200 miles, you can charge earlier). Look at Zap Map and see what chargers are available that many miles from home along the route. Look for 100kW or more if available. The e-tron 50 can take around 120kW max but more powerful chargers don't hurt; they just throttle to 120kW.
A 50 kW charger will give you range at about 130 mph - i.e. one hour of charging adds 130 mile to range but you're very unlikely to rock up to a charger at zero range so see how far the charger is from start and figure out how many miles you want to add when there. This then gives you a 'time at charger'. From this you can figure out how long your drive will take - this is probably the most important figure.
If you need to extend your range over what the car declares on the motorway, slow down to 60-65 mph - this greatly extends range. And the car's navigation screen shows this happening real-time. Then, when you're comfortable, speed up back to 70 mph. Go much beyond 70 mph and your range plummets like a rocket.
As to the original question... range on a motorway from 100%..? I reckon about 160 miles.
Finally, the S line e-tron is a wonderful place to be in.
Honestly, I doubt the wheels make much difference as long as the tyre pressures are right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts