Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~45 day old eTron Prestige was acting odd at the local California #ChargePoint charger and wouldn't charge in Cupertino. Once home, I connected to my home charger and Audi cable around 4PM. It never initialized, going from white>green so I attempted to unplug it and try again when I found it would no longer disconnect. I attempted the remedies I found online regarding the unplugging the cable from the wall, waiting a few hours to reset and plug it back in, lock/unlock the car, press and hold the eTron charging door button while pressing the unlock button but none of the online form remedies worked for me. This was last friday, March 6th. That day I called Audi roadside assistance and they TOWED THE VEHICLE for the weekend to begin working on it at Audi of Steven Creek on Monday morning. I was told late last night all the parts came in and I'm now fixed. I'll update the forum with the diagnosis and what parts/software changed but a warning to #Audi #etron owners that the cable does become stuck and you are out of luck at that point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you open the hood and pull the yellow cord?
Hi Bill, I didn't see that option anywhere online as a recommendation. Can you post a link to that advice? I didnt find it and for sure would've tried that as well. Also, Audi had it in service for the first 48 hours attempting to disconnect it so unless they dont know that quick fix either, I think it's a larger issue. I'll be posting the service documents this evening once I pick it up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
in the owners manual on page 111 there is a section called Emergency Release of the charging cable. Opening the hood and just above the fender charging port door there is a small door. Open the door and there is a yellow loop cord.
Pull the yellow cord and the charge plug will release. I had this happen recently on a Charge Point charger as well. Not to be critical of Audi service personnel, but this is a very new product and it's possible no one has been to training yet.
Hope this does not dim your feeling of the product. I knew this might be a bleeding edge experience now and then.
Enjoying our e-tron. Put 3K miles on it in 3 months! Just back from a 450 mile road trip that we really enjoyed riding in the e-tron.

·
Registered
55 Posts
in the owners manual on page 111 there is a section called Emergency Release of the charging cable. Opening the hood and just above the fender charging port door there is a small door. Open the door and there is a yellow loop cord.
Pull the yellow cord and the charge plug will release. I had this happen recently on a Charge Point charger as well. Not to be critical of Audi service personnel, but this is a very new product and it's possible no one has been to training yet.
Hope this does not dim your feeling of the product. I knew this might be a bleeding edge experience now and then.
Enjoying our e-tron. Put 3K miles on it in 3 months! Just back from a 450 mile road trip that we really enjoyed riding in the e-tron.

watch the middle video with the blue e-tron

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm glad to hear Audi repaired the problem under warranty. I've heard other manufacturers blame issues with charging cables and charging ports on the owner as owner abuse (they say you should have realized something was broken on the public charger handle) and deny claims related to the charging port. Then you have to file an insurance claim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to hear Audi repaired the problem under warranty. I've heard other manufacturers blame issues with charging cables and charging ports on the owner as owner abuse (they say you should have realized something was broken on the public charger handle) and deny claims related to the charging port. Then you have to file an insurance claim.
Thanks for that tip @Dr. T. Good for us to know to be careful with the chargers and avoid an insurance claim!

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing to check first if you can't get the charger to release at home: is the car door locked? When the drivers door is locked the charger cannot be removed from the car socket. This keeps someone from removing your car from the charger at a public station.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts