Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues with the homelink / garage opener? We have a driveway gate, and the unit is right behind a large column/pillar so there's some blocking of the signal. In my old car, the homelink was located on the rearview mirror and I would have to hold or press the button several times before it would respond - this was when I arrived home or after I passed the gate on my way out.

Now, since I assume the homelink is more centrally located in the car (not in the rearview mirror), I cannot get the gate to open no matter how many times I push it. Once I get inside it, it opens just fine, but now I've resorted to pulling out the handheld remote every time I get home, and pulling it out again when I'm leaving after I've passed the gate.

Any idea on solutions or workarounds? Thanks, doesn't look like it's a common issue.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Depending on what kind of signal Homelink uses, you might be able find a remote relay, similar to what you have to use sometimes with AV setups that are hidden from view.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Well, HomeLink is RF, so no, you do not need line of sight. It will propagate well, but ... if there is some RF interference out there, it will kill your signal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is very strange should have no issues mine opens up at a stop sign about 4 houses away with me facing another direction. Buy an updated garage door opener, that could be the problem not the Etron.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I know I had to add antenna to my garage opener to improve the coverage but it is only because neighbor is running high power electrical engine in the garage and it does generate a lot of RF noise in the band. I do not think this is a common problem, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts