Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e-tron is 3 days old and I just had a 240V outlet installed. When I plug in the Audi home charger directly into outlet, the control unit goes all red which according to the manual means: "The charging infrastructure of the power supply/household connection is insufficient: the ground conductor is interrupted or not present. Have the control unit checked by dealer and have the power supply checked by electrician." The dealer gave me a new control unit to try, same problem. The electrician confirms that it is grounded. But he also noted that power coming into the house is 210 not 240. Has anyone experience ALL RED errors on charging control unit? Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not experienced this. The only time I see it red is when I first plug it in it briefly flashes. This actually sounds like an issue with your electrical utility. Maybe contact them and let them know what you're experiencing for next steps?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why would your electrician install a 240 V outlet and not tell you that you only have 210 V coming into the house? It sounds like a problem at your circuit panel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why would your electrician install a 240 V outlet and not tell you that you only have 210 V coming into the house? It sounds like a problem at your circuit panel.
Ever heard of "nominal" voltage? When we say "120v" or "240v" that isn't the precise voltage the circuit is supplying, it merely refers to the generalized system voltage.
Also, circuit panels don't affect voltages, transformers do. If you have 210v and wish you had 240v, that discrepancy can be blamed on a transformer on a utility pole, as I alluded to in a previous post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Look on the id label min/max voltage should be printed.
The Audi home charger (at least the European model) has an added security which is a DC differential breaker . This assumes a good grounding. Ask your electrician to measure the earth resistance (with a so-called Megger). Also don't use any extension leads, etc, as they can all cause small current spikes .

·
Registered
60 Posts
My e-tron is 3 days old and I just had a 240V outlet installed. When I plug in the Audi home charger directly into outlet, the control unit goes all red which according to the manual means: "The charging infrastructure of the power supply/household connection is insufficient: the ground conductor is interrupted or not present. Have the control unit checked by dealer and have the power supply checked by electrician." The dealer gave me a new control unit to try, same problem. The electrician confirms that it is grounded. But he also noted that power coming into the house is 210 not 240. Has anyone experience ALL RED errors on charging control unit? Thanks!
Check this explanation to see if you have WYE service:
https://www.reddit.com/r/electrical/comments/3eqfn0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts