Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 E-tron
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always clean/detail my cars and have never been challenged by a wheel until now. The black optic wheels have matte finish that is a magnet for brake dust that does not easily come off with soap and water. Are there any products you've used that you like?

·
Registered
2020 E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her
21 Posts
Our e-Tron doesn’t have those, but our last car had black satin finish alloys. Bilt Hamber to clean, gtechniq c5 wheel armour to seal.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
After close to 3k miles, I have next to zero brake dust. These cars are supposed to regen first, so I am wondering what the heck is going on to have that much brake dust deposit.

·
Registered
2020 E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her
21 Posts
They do regen first, but if you need to brake hard you use the rotors and it is a 2.5 tonne car.

I visited the Tesla service centre in Edinburgh a couple of years back - they advised that they changed as many discs for sever corrosion through lack of use as they did discs due to wear.

For this reason I make a point of slotting the e-tron into neutral to disable the regen and perform a reasonably hard stop from 60-ish to walking pace to clean the discs. (It is my wife’s car so this isn’t every journey).

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
So far I see zero signs of corrosion but I get what you're saying. I hardly ever brake to the point where discs engage, helps with power recovery for sure if you brake coast more often. The winter conditions here in CO will likely re-evaluate my braking conditions once the salt is back on the streets and starts chewing my discs :)

·
Registered
2021 E-tron
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After close to 3k miles, I have next to zero brake dust. These cars are supposed to regen first, so I am wondering what the heck is going on to have that much brake dust deposit.
Actually, the break dust isn't thick or heavy (I regen as much as possible) but there is a thin layer of dust that settles on the wheels but it doesn't easily wipe off due to the matte finish on the black optics wheels.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Hm do share a photo when you have a chance. So far, I am either lucky or the OEM wheels in Edition One are not very susceptible to this issue (lucky me, I guess)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Nano Skin NON-ACID Wheel & Tire Cleaner 4:1 ratio. Apply with a foaming trigger spray bottle, let sit for a couple of minutes, scrub tires with a brush, use Wheel Woolies for the wheels, and rinse. This was recommended to me by a professional detailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts