Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I drove my own eTron back and the Range monitor and Waze said that I had about 2 miles to spare.

However, I live on a hill ~1000 elevation. The range dropped very rapidly, non-linearly while going uphill.

So now, I know 0 miles left on EV means 0.

Ran out late night literally 100 yards from the Main Street from house where I could have coasted down the rest of the way and made it back. I initially called Audi Roadside, but it was worthless since they could only tow to Audi Dealership. The dealers is 15 minutes away and I was so close to home that I could have walked.

After AAA flatbed came, had to locate Audi tool kit and most importantly tow hook. No idea where it was so at 1AM on the street, the AAA driver and I were taking stuff out of my trunk, and we couldn't find it. I initially looked in the frunk, but didn't realize that there's an underneath comparment. The tool kit (jack, lugnut cap remover, compressor, jack) is actually in under the frunk. Interestingly- there's missing item that looks like it would accomodate a compressed can of tire sealant- in the US, are eTron's equipped with that? (never looked before).

Towed back home for the 0.5 miles. Dropped in front of driveway. Luckily 110V extension cord reach to street to allow for L1 charge. Overnight now 3% ands can drive to either EA or hook up to NEMA 14-50 now. 😷😬

So 0 miles on the range means 0. 🤦‍♂️ #SoCloseSoFar

Was lucky that my extension cord for 110V L1 (ETA 4 days, 19 hours to charge!) was long enough to get to curb to juice up overnight and then be able to start and move into the driveway to charge with NEMA 14-50 the next morning.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
93 Posts
Audi dealer told me that the first 10 times I call Audi Roadside if I run out of charge are covered for free.
I always assumed they meant that the evacuator truck has charging equipment, however, based on your experience it is just a free tow to the nearest charger, correct?

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually- only to the closest Audi dealership.

My own house with charger was less than 0.5 miles away and the dealership was 8 miles away (and closed until Mon) so it would not have made any sense to tow to the Audi dealership.

Reactions: Yan

·
Registered
93 Posts
So because of the proximity of your home they towed you there?
What if the nearest audi dealership is far away and for the sake of the argument EA station is closer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Audi Roadside would only tow to Audi dealer- not any charger- so I cancelled that call.

Rebooked with my own AAA service call and they towed to my home on flat bed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Would be interesting to know if Audi dealerships have L2 chargers which are always available, even when a dealership is closed
In this case it would be more tolerable to be towed there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mobile charging vehicles are still extremely rare.
Solutions are already available on the market, any portable generator with NEMA 14-50 outlet would do the job
Better yet, something specialized like Blink Portable Charger.
If Audi equipped its tow trucks with this, it would really help EV drivers.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From what I've read, Audi in most areas contracts out the towing services. Most of those are pretty much ICE oriented. There simply has not been the demand (profitability?) for the mobile charging units. I have read where AAA is experimenting in some areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Capacity:
My L2 charger has never fully charged my 2019 eTron batteries to the Audi sticker-stated capacity selecting a 100% charge. I understand a L3 charger will get closer to the stated range and look forward to my first charge on one. My last 100% L2 charge maxed out at 166 miles during a MN winter in an attached garage. At the recommended 80% range I get considerably less. In total giving us an effective daily range of roughly 125 miles max. That’s been enough for our urban usage to date in a desert of L3 chargers and a pandemic. But do not expect full range unless L3 chargers are available. In my experience and with my set up you, I won’t ever get a full charge at home.

Off Peak Charging:
Our OP program only charges during limited hours. The car charges at an (I think) an 8.3 kwph rate. So we can only generate and drive about 100/125 miles a day. In turn we get 1/2 priced electricity for charging the car while we sleep.

Conclusion:
We drive cheap, roughly $3/100 miles but can’t drive much further than that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
100% is 100%. The difference in indicated range is determined by previous power usage efficiency. A level 3 charger will get you no more range than a level 2, it will just charge faster. 160-170 in winter and 220-235 is what I have seen on my E55 so far. And, yes, 0 miles means 0 miles left. I tried it. You'd better be looking for a safe place to pull over real soon. I had no problem getting Audi Roadside to tow me where I wanted to go- it didn't have to be to a dealer. Other than I wish it had more range, I am loving my Etron.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
My last 100% L2 charge maxed out at 166 miles during a MN winter in an attached garage.
Yep as greglina says, that 166 miles at 100% is due to recent driving history as well as current ambient & battery temperatures and climate control settings. All of which impact the range but do not steal battery capacity.

When we say 100% is 100% the e-tron 55 has a 95kWh battery pack of which 86.5kWh is usable battery. The missing 8.5kWh is reserved as a buffer for battery management purposes which is why this thing can charge so quickly at 150kW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should also be noted that when charging on a L3 charger capable of 150KW(and probably less) the charging rate will start ramping back when the charge reaches 80%.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
"When we say 100% is 100% the e-tron 55 has a 95kWh battery pack of which 86.5kWh is usable battery. The missing 8.5kWh is reserved as a buffer for battery management purposes which is why this thing can charge so quickly at 150kW."

This isn't quite correct, regarding charging rates. The buffer for the battery is only 8% at the bottom (you can't drain the battery below a true 8%) and 4% at the top (meaning you can never top off the last 4% of the true capacity). Most of the benefit is in the thermal management system which is able to distribute and dissipate heat very effectively. This results in being able to maintain high HVDC charging rates, and also,allows for multiple "boost" accelerations. The Telsa for example, can do one or two boosts and then you have to drive around for several minutes to let the battery cool. With the Audi, the E tron can do multiple boosts, one after the other, without having to allow for cooling time. So, if you are into recklessly passing multiple cars on a busy highway, Audi is the way to go!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand a L3 charger will get closer to the stated range and look forward to my first charge on one.
This is the opposite of what myself and others here have experienced. With the same driving/road/weather conditions I get a GOM of ~210 on L2, ~190 on L3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts