Audi e-tron Forum banner

How to Estimate Time for Complete L1 Charging?

9K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Tommi 
#1 ·
We are still using at home Level 1 charging (waiting for electrician!). When I started charging, and consulted the myAudi app, it estimated we would get to the 80% target in 58 hours. Whenever I check the status on the app, the estimated time is further out. We are now 18 hours longer that the initial estimated time for getting to the desired 80% charge.
We are newer owners, and this is only my second charging attempt. But I wonder if this constant extension of estimated charge time normal?? I did not wait for battery to get down to 20%, but started the charging at about 33%.
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I did not easily find where this topic has been previously discussed.

#4 ·
It's best not to let the battery run down so low. I limit mine to 80% max, as well. but try to keep my car above 50%. If you are using the Audi charger, is the display on the charger showing the charger is set for 100%, rather than 50% (charging voltage)--it's the illuminated number next to the Power button. If it is a 50%, press and hold the POWER button for about 5 sec to switch the charger to 100%.

#5 ·
Yes, the Audi charger is showing 100%. The myAudi app shows Charging Performance as 0.8kW. I hope there isn't evidence of bad wiring in our house or our e-tron.
And yes, I will charge more frequently - the lack of available miles almost caused a serious problem getting to a hospital in the middle of the night, so if I didn't have range anxiety previously, I might now. Luckily, electrician arrives in a couple days to add the L2 capable outlet.
Thanks for the comments on how to handle this more intelligently!

#9 ·
Yes, the Audi charger is showing 100%. The myAudi app shows Charging Performance as 0.8kW. I hope there isn't evidence of bad wiring in our house or our e-tron.
And yes, I will charge more frequently - the lack of available miles almost caused a serious problem getting to a hospital in the middle of the night, so if I didn't have range anxiety previously, I might now. Luckily, electrician arrives in a couple days to add the L2 capable outlet.
Thanks for the comments on how to handle this more intelligently!
i just got my 2021 e tron, also charging with L1, also waiting for the electrician! My husband has a Tesla and it charges at home at a rate of about 4mi/hour. My Audi is showing 0.8kW charging performance as well. I’m not really sure how fast it’s “supposed” to charge with L1, but compared to the Tesla it’s reallllly slow. I’m really hoping it charges significantly faster with the level 2 installed.

#6 · (Edited)
For some reason I also saw 0.8 kW when charging with the standard NEMA 5-15 plug.

12A * 120V = 1440 watts, or 1.4 kW. That's the expected output on a standard 16A line, since you can only use 80%, or 12A, for "continuous" use.
I suspect it is a built-in safety mechanism, since they expect owners will all be charging from 240V lines. Some BEVs, particularly older ones defaulted to lower amperages, just to be safe.

You should always use a dedicated circuit for charging, even at the reduced rate.

In the meantime, have you checked Plugshare for public L2 charging?

Edit: doh, I misunderstood JNealCox’s post on the reduced charge power option.

#7 ·
More good advice, thank you all. I haven't been using a dedicated circuit for the L1 charging. I did find a Plugshare (L2, I think) a couple miles away in a remote Park&Ride, but not in a location where I can watch over the car....

#10 ·
Audi says, I think, that proper L1 charging to full battery should take about 18 hours. If you are using the Audi charger that came with the car, make sure the box has "100%" lit up. If "50%" is lit up, then press and hold the power button until the light switches to "100%".

#14 ·
We had our electrician put in a 240V-50amp outlet near the car. We use the Audi charging station that came with the car. That is all that was needed.
However, the installation for the outlet was pretty high. But when the electrician came to bid on the job, he saw a tool in our garage that he needed (and we didn't). He said he'd drop several hundred dollars off the cost, and would move us up on his schedule if we'd sell him the tool. Happy on all sides.

#15 ·
We had our electrician put in a 240V-50amp outlet near the car. We use the Audi charging station that came with the car. That is all that was needed.
However, the installation for the outlet was pretty high. But when the electrician came to bid on the job, he saw a tool in our garage that he needed (and we didn't). He said he'd drop several hundred dollars off the cost, and would move us up on his schedule if we'd sell him the tool. Happy on all sides.
Remember that you get a Federal tax credit towards the cost of intalling a 240V outlet for charging an EV at your residence. I don't know there is also a state credit in WA. I also you the charger that came with the car. It works fine!

#19 · (Edited)
I was recently at a place where L1 was my only option.
My winter range is average - about 180 miles if charged to 100%
when charging for 17 hours at 25 degrees F weather, i get about 20 - 22 miles of range
you should be careful in assiming that any 120v outlet is ok for L1 - older outlets are not “properly grounded”
for audi charger and it’ll not initiate a charging session
also, make sure to set your charger to 100%

#20 ·
That’s about what I’m getting in terms of range and L1 charge time. We are getting our charging station installed after the holidays, not sure if we will make the cutoff for the tax credit :/
Does your range ever jump up a minute or two after driving? I’m in seattle and it’s been in the low 40’s in the morning. Yesterday I was charged to 188 miles, I drove a few blocks and it had jumped to 196, Then I was coasting down hill and using regenerative breaking so I gained another mile to be at 197, then about 5 minutes and 1.5-2 miles later, I dropped back down to 188.

#24 ·
I am also disappointed regarding US e-tron OEM charger capability. I learned that with 50% power it offers only 6A and with 100% 8A with 120V. That's why the effective charging rate is just 0.8kW.

I am wondering has anyone tried 3rd party Level 1 chargers with the car? Does e-tron take in any amps that the charger would offer (8/10/12/16A) with 120V? I am in a rental house, and getting L2 installed is not an easy task. I would love to get at least 12A, since it would cut a day off the empty to full charge time with 120V Level 1 charging. I could spend few hundred bucks to improve L1 only... I am specifically talking about something like this. And yes, I know I should not draw more than 12A constant current from NEMA 5-15. 🚒 🔥:)

#25 ·
Try Clipper Creek for a safe UL listed option. You may be able to upgrade a standard 16A outlet to 20A if wiring and breaker are up to spec for around 1.9 kW or 3-4 “mph.”

Good question on the derating, though it would be very strange for the car itself to arbitrarily reject 16A 120V. My guess is it’s the EVSE because some people will plug into any outlet without checking that the circuit is clear of other loads, up to code, etc.

#27 ·
I went ahead and purchased the adjustable L1/L2 charger. Charging at 120V/12A works perfectly, and I get charging rates 1.2-1.3kW and still use my garage door opener on the same circuit. This is enough for my pandemic era driving, but normally would not be enough without occasional DC charging. I do have NEMA 5-15 outlets with 20A fuses, but haven't tried with 16A since it's not for long term charging. I am going to take my Audi back to Europe, and having this adjustable charger should be flexible enough to provide me 230V/16A mobile charger with a suitable adapter. Next thing is to figure out which of the CCS2 --> CCS1 adapters will work the best for DC charging in Europe...

#26 ·
The unit you pointed to was NOT UL listed. Or any equivalent safety rating. I personally would not buy any unlisted charging cable. Yes, unlisted is likely cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Clipper Creek units are solid. Yes, more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

The specified range in the standard for J1772 for L1 is 6 Amps to 16 Amps.

Reactions: polyphonic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.