Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are still using at home Level 1 charging (waiting for electrician!). When I started charging, and consulted the myAudi app, it estimated we would get to the 80% target in 58 hours. Whenever I check the status on the app, the estimated time is further out. We are now 18 hours longer that the initial estimated time for getting to the desired 80% charge.
We are newer owners, and this is only my second charging attempt. But I wonder if this constant extension of estimated charge time normal?? I did not wait for battery to get down to 20%, but started the charging at about 33%.
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I did not easily find where this topic has been previously discussed.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
130 Posts
You should charge every day, plug in whenever you get back, always. Like your iPhone. Nobody can wait for three days to refuel a car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a good source for the calc. L1 rates are not much at ~4 miles per hour.
Clipper Creek

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's best not to let the battery run down so low. I limit mine to 80% max, as well. but try to keep my car above 50%. If you are using the Audi charger, is the display on the charger showing the charger is set for 100%, rather than 50% (charging voltage)--it's the illuminated number next to the Power button. If it is a 50%, press and hold the POWER button for about 5 sec to switch the charger to 100%.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Audi charger is showing 100%. The myAudi app shows Charging Performance as 0.8kW. I hope there isn't evidence of bad wiring in our house or our e-tron.
And yes, I will charge more frequently - the lack of available miles almost caused a serious problem getting to a hospital in the middle of the night, so if I didn't have range anxiety previously, I might now. Luckily, electrician arrives in a couple days to add the L2 capable outlet.
Thanks for the comments on how to handle this more intelligently!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
For some reason I also saw 0.8 kW when charging with the standard NEMA 5-15 plug.

12A * 120V = 1440 watts, or 1.4 kW. That's the expected output on a standard 16A line, since you can only use 80%, or 12A, for "continuous" use.
I suspect it is a built-in safety mechanism, since they expect owners will all be charging from 240V lines. Some BEVs, particularly older ones defaulted to lower amperages, just to be safe.

You should always use a dedicated circuit for charging, even at the reduced rate.

In the meantime, have you checked Plugshare for public L2 charging?

Edit: doh, I misunderstood JNealCox’s post on the reduced charge power option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More good advice, thank you all. I haven't been using a dedicated circuit for the L1 charging. I did find a Plugshare (L2, I think) a couple miles away in a remote Park&Ride, but not in a location where I can watch over the car....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you drive roughly the same way I do, your driving efficiency should be roughly 400 Wh per mile
So 800 W per hour charging gives you 2 miles per hour
Less in winter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts