Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out how to best be able to finesse this E Tron beast when dealing with a hill or parallel parking on a slope. This car just wants to roll. Recently, though, discussions of "Hill Descent Assist" came up and it looks like it might really help when parallel parking. Has anyone tried it and what did you find?

Unfortunately, on the E Tron, Audi has given three "braking" features very confusing names: "Hold Assist", "Hill Hold Assist", and "Hill Descent Assist". This is how they compare (I think?):

1) "Hold Assist" is a feature you can turn on and off through the MMI. If it is on, when you are facing uphill and fully press the brake pedal, the brakes will lock and hold you in place until you touch the accelerator pedal. You don't even have to keep your foot on the brake.

2) "Hill Hold Assist" is an automatic feature. If you have "Hold Assist" turned off, "Hill Hold Assist" will still be active: for "Hill Hold Assist", if you are facing uphill and fully depress the brake pedal for a few seconds, the brakes will TEMPORARILY lock. If you take your foot off the brake for a couple of seconds, the car will start to roll back. The intent of "Hill Hold Assist" is to give you time to move your foot from brake to accelerator without rolling back.

3) "Hill Descent Assist". THIS is what the little Icon above the Climate Control will activate. When turned on, it will activate when two requirements are met: 1) speed below 19 mph; and 2) on a 6-60% grade. When ACTIVE, the brakes will engage and maintain a constant speed in BOTH forward and reverse direction. You can adjust the speed by using the brake and accelerator pedals.

I must admit, I have never tried HIll Descent Assist! It sounds like just what you need for parallel parking on a hill, for example. Has anyone played around with this? Seriously, I have had my E Tron since Dec 2019 and have never tried this!! Got to give this try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been trying to figure out how to best be able to finesse this E Tron beast when dealing with a hill or parallel parking on a slope. This car just wants to roll. Recently, though, discussions of "Hill Descent Assist" came up and it looks like it might really help when parallel parking. Has anyone tried it and what did you find?

Unfortunately, on the E Tron, Audi has given three "braking" features very confusing names: "Hold Assist", "Hill Hold Assist", and "Hill Descent Assist". This is how they compare (I think?):

1) "Hold Assist" is a feature you can turn on and off through the MMI. If it is on, when you are facing uphill and fully press the brake pedal, the brakes will lock and hold you in place until you touch the accelerator pedal. You don't even have to keep your foot on the brake.

2) "Hill Hold Assist" is an automatic feature. If you have "Hold Assist" turned off, "Hill Hold Assist" will still be active: for "Hill Hold Assist", if you are facing uphill and fully depress the brake pedal for a few seconds, the brakes will TEMPORARILY lock. If you take your foot off the brake for a couple of seconds, the car will start to roll back. The intent of "Hill Hold Assist" is to give you time to move your foot from brake to accelerator without rolling back.

3) "Hill Descent Assist". THIS is what the little Icon above the Climate Control will activate. When turned on, it will activate when two requirements are met: 1) speed below 19 mph; and 2) on a 6-60% grade. When ACTIVE, the brakes will engage and maintain a constant speed in BOTH forward and reverse direction. You can adjust the speed by using the brake and accelerator pedals.

I must admit, I have never tried HIll Descent Assist! It sounds like just what you need for parallel parking on a hill, for example. Has anyone played around with this? Seriously, I have had my E Tron since Dec 2019 and have never tried this!! Got to give this try.
To overcome this have you tried operating the break with your left foot like old fashioned clutch control in a manual car?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
199 Posts
I find S mode is better than regular D mode for finer accelerator control. It could complement the hill assist features but I dont encounter tricky hill parking situations too often. S mode does help for tricky parking on the flat though, I find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts