Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love to make use of these sorts of features when in bad traffic or on really long trips. About to pick up my GT and worried Audi might not have done a good job with them.

Can someone with a GT help alleviate my concerns?

Does it work as well as this guys A3 does?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Came across this quote on Reddit, any truth to it?

Do be aware that the e-tron GT has the driver assist marketed with Audi names but it's Porsche's InnoDrive under the hood. Slightly less advanced than Audi's regular stuff on MLB cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Love to make use of these sorts of features when in bad traffic or on really long trips. About to pick up my GT and worried Audi might not have done a good job with them.

Can someone with a GT help alleviate my concerns?

Does it work as well as this guys A3 does?

Thanks
My GT works like the video. Notice that the system needs to feel some resistance in the wheel or the yellow, and eventually red, warning comes. The “resistance” is manifested by a slight turning of the wheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My GT works like the video. Notice that the system needs to feel some resistance in the wheel or the yellow, and eventually red, warning comes. The “resistance” is manifested by a slight turning of the wheel.
If that demo was in a Tesla, the driver would have had the car turn off the assist after the third warning until the drive was over.

Good to know it works the same though as far as lane keeping and “follow” features.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not have a GT, but I have the regular e-tron, and it has a capacitive steering wheel. So, it only needs to detect your hands there, with no resistance. I'd be genuinely surprised if the GT didn't have that same feature.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do not have a GT, but I have the regular e-tron, and it has a capacitive steering wheel. So, it only needs to detect your hands there, with no resistance. I'd be genuinely surprised if the GT didn't have that same feature.
The GT requires input from the driver occasionally - just resting your hand on the steering wheel is not enough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 2021 e-tron and now have a GT. They are different. The e-tron just needed my hand touching wheel. the GT needs me to actually move the steering wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a 2021 e-tron and now have a GT. They are different. The e-tron just needed my hand touching wheel. the GT needs me to actually move the steering wheel.
Wow, that's ashame. I don't understand how Audi would put a less advanced version of the ACC/lane assist in a much more expensive, supposedly more advanced vehicle.

Well, I guess in typical Audi fashion, it's so they can add that feature to a future model year to get people to buy a new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, that's ashame. I don't understand how Audi would put a less advanced version of the ACC/lane assist in a much more expensive, supposedly more advanced vehicle.

Well, I guess in typical Audi fashion, it's so they can add that feature to a future model year to get people to buy a new one.
Its actually more advanced AND will most likely be required on any car in the future that has this feature. As you could see in the original video above, the car continued to nag the driver. The reason for this is you are NOT suppose to have your hands off the wheel.

By requiring at least a little force on the wheel, it shows the system you not only have your hands on the wheel but are also in “control” of the car.

Again this is the way Tesla has handled it for a years. Though if history is any indicator, someone will come up with some weird weights you hang off the wheel to trick it into thinking your hands are there AND provide the resistance the system wants to see. You will also most likely see other manufacturers disable the system like Tesla does if you continue to ignore the warnings and keep your hands off the wheel.

Personally, you are driving one of the fastest, most powerful Audi vehicles ever made. Why on earth do you want to have your hands OFF the wheel. This system is no where near Level 2 autonomy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to agree. With the e-tron I could just touch the side of the wheel with my open hand and it was satisfied. The GT requires I actually have control.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its actually more advanced AND will most likely be required on any car in the future that has this feature. As you could see in the original video above, the car continued to nag the driver. The reason for this is you are NOT suppose to have your hands off the wheel.

By requiring at least a little force on the wheel, it shows the system you not only have your hands on the wheel but are also in “control” of the car.

Again this is the way Tesla has handled it for a years. Though if history is any indicator, someone will come up with some weird weights you hang off the wheel to trick it into thinking your hands are there AND provide the resistance the system wants to see. You will also most likely see other manufacturers disable the system like Tesla does if you continue to ignore the warnings and keep your hands off the wheel.

Personally, you are driving one of the fastest, most powerful Audi vehicles ever made. Why on earth do you want to have your hands OFF the wheel. This system is no where near Level 2 autonomy.
Um, I never said anything about driving with your hands off the wheel. The regular 2021 e-tron uses a capacitive wheel to detect the presence of your hand(s) on it, as opposed the Tesla method of requiring force/movement. The capacitive method is more advanced and more accurate. I also noticed that it will nag quite a bit sooner than your movement detecting L2 systems, so it encourages one to keep their hands on the wheel even more. Besides, if the system is working well, why would I, or should I be using force or movement to correct something that doesn't warrant correction? Especially since that action might actually affect the trajectory of the car in a negative way.

An even more advanced and accurate method would be what Cadillac uses, which watches to make sure your eyes are on the road. Combine that with the capacitive steering wheel, and you have a very good set of safety features for L2.

So, I stand by what I said: Audi put a sub-par L2 system in their e-tron GT by not putting a capacitive steering wheel in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@johnarpy how does the GTs driver assist features (lane keep & acc) compare to the OG e-tron? I’d assume it’s the same, but I had one guy trying to tell me it was worse because the GT uses Porsche tech instead of their own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Honestly, it feels different. I could take my hands off the e-tron's wheel and it would follow the road and curves until it wanted my touch. I would just rest my open palm on the wheel and it would keep going. The GT feels more like my Mercedes. You have to keep control so you don't get that feeling of real self driving. It is great in cruise mode and in stop and go traffic, just not able to get a real feeling for the curves because you have to keep control of the wheel so much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, it feels different. I could take my hands off the e-tron's wheel and it would follow the road and curves until it wanted my touch. I would just rest my open palm on the wheel and it would keep going. The GT feels more like my Mercedes. You have to keep control so you don't get that feeling of real self driving. It is great in cruise mode and in stop and go traffic, just not able to get a real feeling for the curves because you have to keep control of the wheel so much.
I treat it like my Tesla: hand lightly on the steering wheel and just a slight tug when alerted.
Program does all the steering in curves. I do not control it at all (when it’s engaged)
If you try to control it when engaged, it thinks you are trying to adjust the lane spacing.
In other words, if it is in the middle of the lane and keep controlling it to the right, it will reset target lane keeping towards the right of the lane.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agree with johnarpy. The GT is similar, I think, to MB S-class. Required me to slightly move steering wheel every so often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also agreeing. We have a 2021 Sportback E-Tron (S-Line) and while it has capacitive steering wheel it wants more definitive input on the wheel very regularly (we're not sure if we don't put our hands on it, and tell it 'we're here!' that it'll just come to a stop...).

It definitely doesn't do any of the stoplight/stop sign recognition yet either (which Tesla does, badly IMHO).

The start/stop adaptive cruise is good enough that my wife, who is partially disabled, can take 30-35 mile drives in the city with barely touching any pedals; and that's really it's biggest feature for us.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I didn't deliberately test the lane keeping or the active cruise features of the e-tron RS GT that I had for 24 hours on test, but they were definitely on, as I had not driven a car that could/or was capable of essentially self driving I found it a surprise when I could feel the wheel forcing the car around corners so much so that it did feel like I could let go and it would have got round on it's own and the self braking/distance keeping was clear to see/feel, but as a newbie to the tech I wasn't confident to test the theory of these any further. I also didn't opt for the full driver assistance packs on my e-tron GT, just the parking assist as part of the Comfort and Sound Plus pack, I did really like the sound and the heads up display though so I added those along with the Steel Blue Nappa interior, lets hope that is not a decision I later regret. I didn't opt for ACC on my Alfa that I have now and never missed it, whilst I won't technically be a petrol head when it arrives, I do like a car that is aimed at the driver, and I will happily 'drive' the car for myself. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

My etron gt doesn't really take turns. It just bounces between the lanes and correct. Should it have automatic turning in corners..? Audi told me it wasn't like innodrive or autosteer from Tesla. But from what I gather here, you guys seem to have some form of self-driving. Any feedback?

I do have a full option etron gt rs with all assist features.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My GT turns in curves. It still insists that your hand is on steering wheel (so does Tesla), but it handles curves as long as lane stripes are visible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts