Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wondering if anybody has experienced a similar issue or has any ideas what this could be, my e-tron is going in tomorrow for this issue.

At about 13-16 mph when gently pressing throttle, it starts to howl from the right rear.

Additionally and wondering if it's related, the same right rear corner squeaks like **** when I shake the car.

Not worried yet, Audi hasn't had a chance to take a look at it so I'll send updates as I receive them but if someone has a thought please let me know!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
It was hard to hear past the motor whine and pedestrian sound, but yeah that squeaky sound might be covered by a TSB.

Check out the March 12, 2020 TSB under 'suspension' 2019 AUDI E-TRON

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @polyphonic for pointing me to the TSB. Unfortunately, the issue is on the rear passenger side (both the howling and the squeaking) so I don't think that TSB applies to this issue. I suspect the two sounds are related but right now I'm only assuming.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They claim they couldn't replicate the sound and want me to take them for a drive. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like it is just the sound of the motor at that speed but I want to document the **** out of it in the event something major happens.

Are you experiencing the same sound?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
I wonder if they would disable the pedestrian sound for the ride-along? It's possible via OBD so they should be able to do it easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same noise in my 2020 model. The noise became present after hitting 10K miles. It sounds like a bad bearing or a grinding part in the rear gearbox/motor. I am afraid that the car will stop completely due to malfunctioning rear motor. I have to wait two months for my appointment and the dealer will not comment whether the car is safe to drive or not. Are people here experiencing the same issue and getting this fixed?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
I have the exact same noise in my 2020 model. The noise became present after hitting 10K miles. It sounds like a bad bearing or a grinding part in the rear gearbox/motor. I am afraid that the car will stop completely due to malfunctioning rear motor. I have to wait two months for my appointment and the dealer will not comment whether the car is safe to drive or not. Are people here experiencing the same issue and getting this fixed?
Frustrating. Can you record a video of the sound?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
Here it is. Known problem?
From the video the howling sounds just like mine. I wouldn't characterize it as a grinding though. Is there a timestamp in the video that sounds more like grinding?

I recently gave a friend a ride who was surprised at how noisy the electronics (motors, inverter) and pedestrian sound were. The e-tron makes a fair bit of electrical noise compared to a non-performance luxury equivalent. You almost don't hear gasoline engines these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the video the howling sounds just like mine. I wouldn't characterize it as a grinding though. Is there a timestamp in the video that sounds more like grinding?

I recently gave a friend a ride who was surprised at how noisy the electronics (motors, inverter) and pedestrian sound were. The e-tron makes a fair bit of electrical noise compared to a non-performance luxury equivalent. You almost don't hear gasoline engines these days.
So you're suggesting this is normal? The car was almost completely quiet when I got it. Just the quiet whirr from the front motor. The rear motor is also very well insulated from the cabin, so I can imagine the rear motor shaking quite a bit, considering the rear motor noise being audible from the outside. Definitely more busy than it should be. Yours is a pre-facelift model? Brought it in yet?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
Mine is a 10/2019 build. The audio might not be perfectly capturing what you're hearing. I listened a couple times and it still sounds very similar to mine, with perhaps just 10% more intensity at times. Does it feel like anything is shaking?
I have noticed that the car sounds slightly different depending on the ambient temperature and how long it's been driven. Never brought it in for that specifically.

Can someone else chime in?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts